Window glass & shower screen is broken

Hi all, Our Real estate agent has just conducted the rountine inspection and found that shower screen glass and window glass is broken. These tenants are living in the property from past 3 months and both glass were fine before they moved in.

Now Real estate agent is asking us to get repaired but I think it should be tenants responsibility.

Please help as this is our first investment property and not sure if real estate agent is doing the right thing here.

I'd definitely be putting that one back on the tenants. Shower screen glass is made tough, the frame might fall appart from normal wear and tear, but not the glass.

I'd definitely be putting that one back on the tenants. Shower screen glass is made tough, the frame might fall appart from normal wear and tear, but not the glass.

thanks for replying Peter. Can window glass break also passed on to tenant?
It was stiff I know but they tried force on it and it is now broken.

Who do these tenants think they are expecting the windows to open? Fresh air and ventilation are much overrated ;)

Hint: if they can't open the windows you can't complain about mould.

Window was operating but it was little bit stiff. They could open it with care or asked us to get it fixed. It would have cost us less.

This really is better answered by a property manager, but realistically, how did the glass break?

If it fell out of the pane because the house is falling to pieces, it's on the landlord.

If it broke because the tenant put a cricket ball through it, it's their fault.

Toughened glass shower screens can shatter by themselves if they were installed incorrectly.
Hear the tenants story of how it broke and then investigate.

Now Real estate agent is asking us to get repaired but I think it should be tenants responsibility.

I had exactly the same problem,although the house had jut been sold,in the no mans land phase,and i got the call asking me to replace.They came home and it was broken yada yada yada was used.I totally refused to replace it,the agent put the pressure on and i stood my ground,it should be the tenants issue to replace.In the end the agent backed down and they paid for it as settlement was extended till it got sorted.

Probably a tenant issue unless than can prove otherwise IMO. Also bear in mind that some insurance policies (for contents) will cover cracked glass.

If they have been model tenants on the rent and maintaining the property then I would wear the cost.

Shower screens can shatter as it happened to me once cleaning one.

I think that very hot water hitting a a screen on a cold morning will crack it, I would expect someone slamming the shower door might do it as well so a tricky one.

As this is your first IP I would suggest you get into the habit that if something is a bit stiff or a bit worn etc etc fix it to an acceptable standard before the tenants move in

The window is now open :) to debate, if it was stiff they can claim they only tried to open it but it was stiff, on the other hand, if you had sprayed it with silicon spray and it moved freely then it is their fault.

Hear the tenants story of how it broke and then investigate.

This.

Tenants are generally responsible if they caused the damage intentionally or negligently. Otherwise, its probably falls on the landlord.

So did the tenants either:

- do something they shouldn't have; or
- didn't do something they reasonably ought to have done;

and as a result, the damage was done?

Glass in the shower we had tenanted cracked but when we shifted into the house I can see why. theshower is so tiny and the hot water plays straight onto the shower screen. I would have it fixed as if it falls out of the frame there could be some people damage, which means you will be responsible

I would be asking why the tenant didn't ring the agent and report when these things happened. They waited until the agent picked it up at an inspection. If not their fault they should ring and report and ask for it to be fixed - no problem landlord fixes. In your situ it appears tenant damage and not wanting to fix.

I've had the exact same thing happen. Mine was the type with glass and a wire reinforcing inside it. Tenant said it 'just cracked one day, we didn't do it'. I don't believe them so I've just left it cracked.

photo of the shower screen.. It does not look like it broke due to heat. it is like somebody hit it.

Attachments

• shower.png
    shower.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 144
When he called me he was not sure if it was a new crack so advising us to get it repaired using our insurance. But i forwarded him the initial inspection report where the glass was fine he kept quite. Still waiting for him to reply. I am not sure what is happening but in between just wanted to be sure that what i did was right. If the glass was fine 3 months and now it is cracked it is their responsibility to get it fixed.

Back