Windows media player

Hi
I have windows media player
windows 7 home premium
I insert dvd
it plays
I want to save the dvd [3 min movie] to my computer so l can then burn it to another dvd.
I cannot for the life of me find all the tabs that the help [no so helpful] tab suggests press.
I cannot find
save as.
re.name
save to file

nothing nothing nothing has anyone got a brick
I have gone over and over the help section and also gone online to ms help, followed the steps but it doesn,t match up to what l have on my screen. Phoned a friend and they gave up as well.

H E L P:(

You can't usually "save" a DVD file from a disk.

But... you should be able to use Nero or Roxio to simply copy disk to disk. For DVDs larger than 4Gb (or copy-protected :eek:) you can use DVD Shrink to do the copying.

wobblycarly is correct.

I thought you might have said that it wouldn't show the picture when you played the dvd, only playing the sound. That's what happened when I got my laptop a couple of years ago then I found from searching for forums that the then new version of media players didn't play dvd's.. you had to download something to make it work. Do you think I found out from a microsoft site, of course not, I found out from usrs of the software.. If I was cynical I'd think the company didn't care.

But my BIL did it and sent the dvds to me and l am suppose to copy them and send to my BIL :confused:

To copy from disk to disk you would have to have 2 disk drives wouldn,t you?

They are not copy protected they are just of some horses running around

You can't copy a DVD movie but if you want to copy everything on that disc to your computer you can do it eg
- click on my computer
- should see DVD Drive (D: or E:) depending on your pc then right click and select explore
- you should see list of files then select all or file you want then right click and select copy
- go to your hard disk and paste

Hope that helps

did you try dvd shrink?

If i remeber correctly, you can choose between backing up the whole disc, or segments, and choose full quality or compressed.

Dvd decryptor is another good free dvd backup app.

tried that no "explore" found a "copy " tab once l click that nothing seems to happen:confused:

interesting...as when i right click i have more options as per the attachment

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 68
Sounds like you just have some home movies burnt to a dvd?

Ignore media player - just browse the dvd like you would any other directory (should be able to find it from something like "my documents" in the start menu until you find your dvd drive), find your horse file, select it, ctrl-c, go back to "my documents" and hit ctrl-v.

Then you need burning software to get it on a new dvd ... Nero is good.

yadreamin: On your main computer screen there is a folder filer looking button (thats the windows explorer in Win7), click on that when it opens look on the left hand panel and look for an icon that is labeled "Computer" click on that and on the right panel you will see your dvd/cd drive under label "Devices with Removable Storage". Then follow rumpledElf's direction. (save me re-typing) :D

Tho with the last bit.. you actually dont need a burning software with Win7 you just remove your original dvd, then put a blank in, then drag the copied file from "my documents" to the dvd drive icon. Then right click on the dvd drive icon and select "Burn to disc"

I got a trial versison of a burning program and usd that to copy disc to disc. You dnt need 2 drive,s it scans and copies the first disc, then prompts you to put in the blank one and then you wait.

yadreamin: On your main computer screen there is a folder filer looking button (thats the windows explorer in Win7), click on that when it opens look on the left hand panel and look for an icon that is labeled "Computer" click on that and on the right panel you will see your dvd/cd drive under label "Devices with Removable Storage". Then follow rumpledElf's direction. (save me re-typing) :D

Tho with the last bit.. you actually dont need a burning software with Win7 you just remove your original dvd, then put a blank in, then drag the copied file from "my documents" to the dvd drive icon. Then right click on the dvd drive icon and select "Burn to disc"

Another way to start up windows explorer in win7 if for some reason you dont know which button I was talking about in my previous post... click the first icon on the taskbar and in the "search programs and files" box, type in "explorer" you will see Windows Explorer at the top of the list.

But my BIL did it and sent the dvds to me and l am suppose to copy them and send to my BIL :confused:

To copy from disk to disk you would have to have 2 disk drives wouldn,t you?

They are not copy protected they are just of some horses running around
You don't need two disc drives,what it does it stores it on your computer and then asked for a blank DVD to be inserted

I have had another few goes at this again today with no luck what so ever. I follow your instructions[ everyones] several times or try to but nothing works.
l will go into a computer store next week and get them to show me how to do it. :(
Most of the tabs or tasks l am suppose to do /follow just are not on my screen, or l click on them and nothing happens. So l figure a programe is missing or l am being very very dumb:eek:
With media player in Win XP it was so easy, this new edition is a whole new game.
Thanks everyone for your efforts
cheers

Interesting, indeed asking someone to show you how to do it visually is actually easier. Wind7 is slightly different to XP, once you get the hang of it its a **** :)

I've got no clue about Windows 7 but presume it can't be THAT different (can it?) with some of the common things. Apologies if I'm talking about views/things that it doesn't do.

Firstly when you say the files are home movies - put the DVD in the drive, go into Windows Explorer and click on the disc drive. What kind of files are on the disk? .avi or .mpg files? Then you are just trying to copy data files, and you should be able to copy them to your HD then burn to a new disk.
A 2 step process I know - I'm just trying to keep it simple for you.

Or are they a mixture of .ifo, .vob & .bup files in a folder called video_ts? In which case you could try copying the files (it's worked for me often) or you need to rip the contents (DVD Decryptor - Mode set to File or Ifo is OK)
http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

Some helpful websites (perhaps?)

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-burn-dvds-windows-dvd-maker
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-in-Windows-Explorer

Back