windsor gardens SA

The following is an old post from about a year ago, notice how I mentioned Windsor gardens I am now kicking myself as the median price of that suburb has increased 67% since I wrote that post (the highest increase of a suburb in Adelaide according to the sunday mail)

This weekends paper (adelaide) had the median house price listed by suburb (about 400), the percentage it had moved from last quarter, and the amount of sales in the area.
Several weeks ago I bought a full size wall map of metropolitan Adelaide down to street level (2.5m *1m), so I spent the entire weekend adding colour coded price stickers (6 price bands) with the price written on them as well as the amount of sales and the %change since last quarter.
I have also attached a small metallic green or red star next to each suburbs sticker, indicating wether the growth was negative or positive. I can tell you a picture is definitely worth 1000 words, I can see patterns, good value suburbs eg (1 suburb median 150,000 surrounded by 250,000 median price suburbs).
Next I am going to get a sample of 30 rents for each suburb, from that I will pick the median rent, I will write this next to the price as well as the median yield for each suburb. Realize people in Melbourne and Sydney would have to give up their day job to be able to achieve this, however I would highly recommend it at the very least an educational tool (it won't cost 15K either).
Regards Adam
PS anyone from Adelaide tell me why Windsor Gardens is so cheap (unless its next to a prison it can't be the location"""""

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

adam, mate i remember that post, i was thinking "gee that blokes doing some top work to get the next suburb in the ripple effect" couldnt be bothered myself...
I guess the lesson is you did the due diligence but didnt trust yourself with a purchase...
HT

Reply: 1.1

I've done a similar thing for the se suburbs beachside in melbourne... I collected all the medians for suburbs as a start, then added some recent sales from the paper. I chart it all on a map using a product here at work, and like you say, it certainly paints a nice picture.

I wonder if this would be a good commercial venture to sell data in this manner? Couldnt be too hard, would be nice to feed sales data from reiv into a complete map of melbourne ....... hands up who wouldnt be interested in THAT.

Reply: 1.2

Adam , what it shows is how effective doing the correct research can be. That's the lesson.

see change

it's better to be guided by your dreams than your fears

Reply: 1.2.1

Great research adam.

Recent activity has been demolishing of several hundred timber frame SAHT houses (public housing) and land resubdivided to courtyard blocks and sold off. Also private blocks with timber frames being subdivided into two.

This activity has pushed prices in area up. However in the 67% increase figures published they may need to exclude all houses less than 3 years old in comparisons as these will be of a higher housing standard.

Stirling

Reply: 1.2.1.1

Hi adam
stirling is right, knocking down housing trust timber frames. The 67% is a bit misleading. thats because most of the sales are now courtyard homes.
But still when u compare timber frames from 2yrs ago to now there has been excellent growth, ie 70k for 800sqm timberframe, probably now around 130k - now too expensive to subdiv and build.

The release of large courtyard home dev has done this.
the same thing was happening in hillcrest, which is a little closer in and more established, and is beginning to happen in gilles plains and modbury. thing is will the ripple stop?

Back