Winston Hills thoughts??

Hi All
Looking for PPOR and Winston Hills seems like a really lovely suburb..quite family oriented with lots of parks and a local shopping centre. Good access to M2 and close to Parramatta shops, Castle Hill, Bella Vista etc. I like the area when I put my family hat on..but from an investment point of view...do you think there is much capital growth going to happen there in the next few yrs? Surrounding areas such as Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill seem to have grown ..Winston Hills is still lagging behind..any thoughts? Is this because it also neighbours Toongbabbie, Seven Hill etc..

Hi All
Looking for PPOR and Winston Hills seems like a really lovely suburb..quite family oriented with lots of parks and a local shopping centre. Good access to M2 and close to Parramatta shops, Castle Hill, Bella Vista etc. I like the area when I put my family hat on..but from an investment point of view...do you think there is much capital growth going to happen there in the next few yrs? Surrounding areas such as Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill seem to have grown ..Winston Hills is still lagging behind..any thoughts? Is this because it also neighbours Toongbabbie, Seven Hill etc..

I have a few clients you have investment properties within Winston Hills. Generally people refer to it as the poor cousin of Baulkham Hills or the rich cousin of Wentworthville. Having said that Wenty is outdoing Winston Hills purely because of demand, transportation, schools, etc. My only concern with Winston Hills as an investment is that it is not really not a hub as much as say wenty is. I can send you a property report for the area which illustrates this.

When you say "hub"..other than a train station ..what does Wenty have that Winston Hills doesnt? Also, demographically I would have thought Winston Hills would be better? Does this not count towards value of suburb?

Having said that Wenty is outdoing Winston Hills purely because of demand, transportation, schools, etc.

Actually if you consider past cg up until the first quarter of this year WH is actually outperforming Wenty. See attached chart. I like both suburbs, for different reasons, but it ideally comes down to preferences for either area. As WH is more family-oriented (mainly due to less medium density dwellings, unlike Wenty) it is going to attract more owner occupiers. Though it doesn't have a train line it does have close proximity to the M2, city buses and great proximity to good shopping centres and schools. Horses for courses really.

Good luck in your quest for a PPOR Rafters- it's a lovely suburb. Also consider Northmead in your search- there's some gorgeous old renovated charmers in that area too.

Attachments

• print_growth_chart_1342182971201.pdf
    47.7 KB · Views: 156
Go to Wenty say station street or basically anywhere there and you will find that Woolworths, restaurants, train station, 2 huge medical centres, library, etc are no more than a 10 minute walk. The big problem with Winston Hills is the lack of transportation. It is currently too time consuming for the majority of people who work in the CBD/North Sydney to commute from there. Now put that next the the number of people who have moved to Westmead, Wenty, Girraween and Pendle Hill. Not telling you where to buy but do your research, one of which involves asking several agents to compare the 2 areas in terms of rental vacancies, growth and demand.

the rich cousin of Wentworthville.
What is the basis for this claim? I think the Wenty land value would be higher. May be the Winston Hills houses are more flashy.

When you say "hub"..other than a train station ..what does Wenty have that Winston Hills doesnt?
Well that is a big deal. You can get to the city within about 45 mins from Wenworthville but it would take additional 30 mins from Winston Hills.
I'm sure Wentworthville has lot more variety of shops and businesses.

The basis is that I lived in Wenty for a number of years back when it was very underdeveloped. I went there the other week and I was gobsmacked to see how much it has changed for the better.

The Hills has always suffered from lack of a rail system (though that is changing :D) and there's no denying it. One of the reasons clearly why areas like Castle Hill don't (yet) have north shore prices.

However, there are frequent city express buses from the M2 stop (Cropley Dr) which borders WH with B'Hills that go approx every 10-15mins in the mornings- look out for 607X and 617X buses. If you can buy in the pocket between Caroline Chisholm/Churchill Dr and the M2 the city transport is excellent. The Old Windsor Rd side also has the T-Way going into Parra, though this side is definitely not as popular for city workers.

Actually if you consider past cg up until the first quarter of this year WH is actually outperforming Wenty. See attached chart.
Is the line showing the median price? If that is the case then the median price of WH is slightly but consistently higher than Wenty. In terms of growth they both grow at similar rate.

The Hills has always suffered from lack of a rail system (though that is changing :D) and there's no denying it. One of the reasons clearly why areas like Castle Hill don't (yet) have north shore prices.

However, there are frequent city express buses from the M2 stop (Cropley Dr) which borders WH with B'Hills that go approx every 10-15mins in the mornings- look out for 607X and 617X buses. If you can buy in the pocket between Caroline Chisholm/Churchill Dr and the M2 the city transport is excellent. The Old Windsor Rd side also has the T-Way going into Parra, though this side is definitely not as popular for city workers.

Hi Jacque,

That is some good info about the Caroline Chisholm pocket. Didn't know about that!

You are not wrong about the potential castle hill prices - you only need to look at North Ryde. The prices are scary! Jeepers!

Is the line showing the median price? If that is the case then the median price of WH is slightly but consistently higher than Wenty. In terms of growth they both grow at similar rate.

They are indeed very close Devan, but WH is actually slightly better when you break down the individual annual rates. As I said, it's horses for courses really as both suburbs are fairly close. They also appeal to different buyers (and tenants) depending on budgets, lifestyles and needs. Not everyone works in the city after all and needs to be close to rail. Plenty of Hills residents work in Parra and Norwest Business Park as well.

I'm not here to debate that one suburb is better than the other at all. I've bought for buyers in both suburbs (and many surrounding ones :D) and would say that Wenty attracts more investors whereas WH is favoured predominantly by home buyers.

winston hills is a great location just watch the termites...the hills is infested with them !

but dont be frightened of them. Both of our Baulkham Hils homes had termite damage, but not termites. It meant we were able to buy well and fix the damage and increase the value.
you just a plan for prevention of them happening again.

but dont be frightened of them. Both of our Baulkham Hils homes had termite damage, but not termites. It meant we were able to buy well and fix the damage and increase the value.
you just a plan for prevention of them happening again.

Wise words from Penny, and as a seasoned reader of termite reports :D it's not really the past damage that is a problem, but any CURRENT activity that is of concern. I've seen loads of homes with past activity (especially in the upper north shore and leafier parts of the Hills) but the important issue is to identify the problem, the likely cost and factor this into your price calculations.

I heard many termite issues in Baulkham Hills but never looked deep into it. Are there any particular pockets in Baulkham Hills has more termite issues?

Hi Devan

Termites love damp, dark and lots of trees so look for houses with these features - they're not specific to one area in particular.

Back