Winter Olympics

Anyone watching the Winter Olympics?

I love the events, and am a keen skiier/snowboarder (haven't been for a couple of years though).

Had my reservations when I found that Channel 10 (translate: ADS, ADS, ADS!) was covering them.

They didn't disappoint me.

I didn't watch the opening ceremony - never do on these sorts of things; leave me as cold as a mother-in-law's stare - so waited to the "real thing" to begin at 7.00pm last night. WOOHOO!!

Wrong.

In true Commercial tv style they blasted you to death with the promotion and hype and ad breaks and not much actual action...not a single actual event in the first 40 mins of the telecast.

Even had a count-down watch in the corner of the screen to the replay of the opening ceremony...can't wait :rolleyes:

It has already turned into the Torah Bright games :rolleyes: At least she is good to look at.

Eventually they got onto the actual Olympics.

I wonder how long it will be before they trot out the statement; "OUR Torah", or "OUR Chumpy"? and so on.

I don't mind a little bit of razzle and dazzle, but FFS - give it a bit of a rest.

So, despite all this, I will be watching it, but via the IQ recording as usual.;)

And; it will be a nice break from hearing about Schapelle every two minutes.

I was talking to a figure skater yesterday who has friends over there competing and reporting.
Apparently the reporter has lots of stories to tell about the shoddy facilities.
The night before last she was laying in bed when the door burst open to reveal a figure in the darkness with what looked like a gun in his hand.
"Why you not have evacuation plan on door" he said.
He stapled the plan to the door and left as quickly as he came.

I was sick of NBN doing the rugby union internationals. Adds all over the shop. Anywhere they could sneak them in! Resulted in missing some of the games, conversion kicks especially. But glad to say it moved to Chanel 10 and last seasons games coverage were pretty good.

It was always going to be the Torah Bright games! They always have to have a hero. If they're tall blond and handsome they'll get the job no worries! Remember all the crap about "Supermum" Lisa curry a few years back? Turned my stomach!

Where are the normal olympics being held in 2 years?
you mean Summer Olympics.

I think they stopped being called normal after the first gold medal drug cheat was discovered.

Sadly; one of the things they showed last night during the first painful 40 mins of shoit was a lame-@rsed compilation song of all the athletes singing a little snippet of the lines each, and in this song they were referring to themselves as clean.

Shows you how bad it all is when they deem it necessary to add that in.

Loved the women's snowboarding finals - great showing. Watched that bird hit the deck & cracked her helmet (when her head hit the ground, I thought I saw a massive crack whilst she was thrown around - looked like she was unconscious for a little while too).
Saw some of the highlights of the mens downhill - 135kmh. Youch! :eek:

Our local girl got a 6th in the moguls - good one Britt :cool: :thumbs up:

Loved the women's snowboarding finals - great showing. Watched that bird hit the deck & cracked her helmet (when her head hit the ground, I thought I saw a massive crack whilst she was thrown around - looked like she was unconscious for a little while too).
Saw some of the highlights of the mens downhill - 135kmh. Youch! :eek:

Our local girl got a 6th in the moguls - good one Britt :cool: :thumbs up:
Yep; I reckon she was out for a few seconds too - looked decidedly limp. She got up and kept going; terrific.

The whole event was terrific to watch.

Torah did well; just didn't quite nail that landing, but great effort all the same.

My 12 year old who has never watched a winter olympics (no interest at 8 years old) came in and said "Whaddya watching?", then sat down.

Was glued to the set and loved it....wants to get into it this year after that experience.

Might be an Olympic "Shredder" in a few years?...that's how it all starts, hey?....watching someone doing it inspires the younger ones often times.

Seen nothing, haven't found any tv station showing it, but I've been in Spain mostly. Been snowboard touring myself instead though.

Joe, with Rossignol being founded in Spain (& owned by Billabong for a couple of years), you'd think that there would be some interest.

Bayview, our kids are hanging out until they're 10 before going back to green runs with snow boards. There are still a few runs in 'The Maze' that they have to master.

How cool was the girls' snow boarding last night?

Tonight is the boys' turn..great spectacle coming up no doubt.

Boarder X rocks!

I was enthralled by it 4 years ago and was glued to my seat on Sunday night. Such a wild sport.

If the fog lifts for the competition tonight I can't see much work getting done at our place.

(How good were the Danes last night in the adrenaline packed curling. Those Danes had the most serious party pants).

Last edited:
Naturally, being an endurance athlete, I have enjoyed watching some of the longer events testing endurance like the cross country skiing.

To some, its as boring as bat$h!t to watch! To me though, seeing the incredible hurt in the men and women's arms and legs while trying to maintain the intensity is what excites me the most! The frothing mouth, the wobbles, the chest pumping a million miles an hour, and the collapsing over the line - totally left nothing out on the course.

Again, I love it because I love to push limits too!

Not to say I haven't enjoyed everything else. Ive lived and breathed sport for my whole life!

pinkboy

Back