Wireless hardrive and ipads

DS14 told me that I should get a wireless hard drive to connect the ipads in our house to for movies/tv shows. And so that I can stop running out of space on my Macbook.

ME38 didn't want to look stupid so I'm now googling to work out how I manage to work in IT and have no idea about this stuff :rolleyes:

When did wireless hard drives get invented? I'm guessing they work on wifi network?

Feeling old today.

Has anyone done this and can just tell me which one to buy?

They do work on wifi and they have been around for a while.

You can get 1TB from Dick Smith for around $110. I don't know, but I suspect you may need more than that if you are going to keep a lot of movies.

Talk to your local electronics retailer.

Not cheap, better to get a REAL tablet that has either a usb port or an expansion slot for 64gb card or thumbdrives ;)
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...Drives/SGWL1000GY?CAWELAID=620015440000022254

DH has a real one with those feature.
I have a thingy (originally a camera adaptor) which I can put SD cards into for my ipad.

But it would be handy when travelling to have a hard drive with movies on so that the kids (and us big kids) could watch those and not have to have a copy for each device.

Thanks for that link - it seems to be exactly what I need.

DS14 told me that I should get a wireless hard drive to connect the ipads in our house to for movies/tv shows. And so that I can stop running out of space on my Macbook.

ME38 didn't want to look stupid so I'm now googling to work out how I manage to work in IT and have no idea about this stuff :rolleyes:

When did wireless hard drives get invented? I'm guessing they work on wifi network?

Feeling old today.

Has anyone done this and can just tell me which one to buy?

This is your solution, and about to be mine too!

Combine all this with an Apple TV and you are set.

Apple, simply brilliant!

Hi,

I have a NAS at home and i store all multimedia on it. Accessible from my ATV and Ipad/iphone as well as Mac and PC sharing the same network.

Additionaly i can also access to the files while i am away, through internet (ie you need a connection).

A wireless hard drive was on my wish list to access movies when i am traveling, but i realised that it can not be used in plane so i drop the purchase.

Sorry everyone,i've deleted my comments as it was not applicable to the thread.
Peace,
Spades.

Hey Spades - I was fine with it. Always interesting to hear a view point about a concern. Maybe one day we will be going '****, wish I didn't have all those wifis in the house'

Hi,

I have a NAS at home and i store all multimedia on it. Accessible from my ATV and Ipad/iphone as well as Mac and PC sharing the same network.

Additionaly i can also access to the files while i am away, through internet (ie you need a connection).

A wireless hard drive was on my wish list to access movies when i am traveling, but i realised that it can not be used in plane so i drop the purchase.

Are you not allowed wifi turned on in flight? Doggone-it!

Hey Spades - I was fine with it. Always interesting to hear a view point about a concern. Maybe one day we will be going '****, wish I didn't have all those wifis in the house'

Hiya westminister,
I didn't want the thread to go off topic like another recent thread.
Wifi is a concern espesh for children,here's a link:
http://www.defenderpad.com/growing-concern-of-the-wifi-radiation-impact-on-children/
Cheers Spades.
Ps.Maybe i'll start a thread on the health affects of Wifi and Electric and Magnetic Fields from Power Lines and Electrical Appliances.

Hey everyone!

I understand you want something portable, but I thought I'd also chime in and rave about my NAS for anyone else reading this thread. One of the best little devices I've bought in a long time! (next to my Sonos :)

http://www.synology.com/dsm/dsm_for_home.php?lang=enu

Granted most 'non-techie' people would be better off with the Apple product, however if you want that little bit more this would be the next step.

It offers:

Private Dropbox like cloud storage (access my documents via the net over SSL on my iPhone, iPad, laptop, via the web)
As above with photos and other media
Automated Download box
iTunes/media server
Much greater storage (i.e. 4x 4TB)
Automated backups, onsite and offsite
Linux based security and stability
etc

A great way to 'extend' the storage of a laptop, and if you sync over the net when you have a connection you won't have to carry anything with you!

so you pay to upload your stuff and then pay to download it again when needed? :eek:
Imagine the expense if doing that via a mobile connection. Does apple even have a sim slot?

A wireless hard drive was on my wish list to access movies when i am traveling,
because a 16GB on-board flash memory and the 64GB in the expansion slot is not enough to carry a 700mb movie or two for a flight?
I'd be more concerned about your battery lasting the distance ;)

for the home solution i had a WD my book live?. plugs into the router and shares it through the wifi

i now have a HTPC so dont need the my book anymore

some routers also have a usb port to connect hdds to share through the network

as for a portable solution theres no real great solution except for micro sd/ usb sticks as any other form of hard drive requires power and as the ipad doesnt even have a usb port your stuffed anyway

i have an acer w510 it comes with 64gb and has a usb and micro sd slot. nice tablet but needs to be thought out a bit more

Back