With drawing money to purchase shares/

Hi,

With the recent rapid falls in the share market these past few days, I think now is a excellent time to enter the market because of the low prices.

So my question is can i withdraw excess money from my account? it wouldn't be treated as personal because it's for income producing purposes, is this correct?

Also i do not have a off set account

correct - this is considered an investment, so the portion you withdraw will still be considered tax deductible.

Hi,

With the recent rapid falls in the share market these past few days, I think now is a excellent time to enter the market because of the low prices.

So my question is can i withdraw excess money from my account? it wouldn't be treated as personal because it's for income producing purposes, is this correct?

Just ring up a Broker and have a talk to them,and just set something up, but just ask yourself one question if you were to buy into something high-end low-end if you think the prices are now low,as most are ex-div, what happens if they drop another 20-50% what would you do,there is a lot of high end day traders that think this market may well drop into the very low 4000's,,very quickly..willair..imho..

Hi,

Ideally you would want to have a separate LOC or split in your home loan to draw down from to purchase the shares ... this would make it a lot easier to account for which debt is for investment purposes.

Regards,

Jason

willair makes a good point - as with any investment there are always risks involved, and as long as you are willing or able to hold for a long period of time if necessary and don't expect to make a quick overnight dollar then you should be okay...

I believe the technicality is in whether the shares you buy pays dividends or not. If they don't pay dividends, they are not income producing.

The Y-man

Correct, the company must pay dividends or have a history of paying dividends.

Wow! ok I didn't know this. Well in most cases most companies pay dividends. This is a long term investment at least 1 or 2 years.

I sold all my shares before the GFC had its full impact and got back in again when the market picked up and made a nice profit and I see this as another opportunity again.

I did have a small exposure to the recent falls... but I'm not that worried as it will recover overtime.

Suppose a separate loan is set up to purchase say $50K worth of shares. The interest on that loan is deductible.

But what if the shares drop to $40K in value and you sell and pay out the loan. There is a remaining $10K debt.

Is it now non-deductible now that there is no longer an income producing asset associated with it? Or is it still deductible because the original purpose of the loan for an income-producing asset?

I'd expect that the balance of the loan would no longer be deductible.

There'd be the consolation of a $10K capital loss on the shares to apply against any capital gains, however.

Back