With the benefit of hindsight....

Hi,
Recently I bought an IP in Sydney's inner west. It was a 5br house, and the block was about double the size of the others in the street. It also had 2 kitchens. So I decided to put a wall down the middle, and a fence down the middle of the yard, and make it into 2 residences, so it's sort of like two semis. Both are a decent size, quite nice places and rented easily. So far, so good...

BUT, when I made the changes, I didn't get council permission. I am now thinking about it and am a bit worried that maybe I should come clean and go through the proper council process. In hindsight, I could have made it more difficult for myself if I ever decide to sell, and there are also a few other improvements I want to make which would also need council permission.

I'm wondering what some of the more experienced investors on the forum think? Is it a good idea to tell the council even though I've already done the work? What would happen? Roughly how much will it cost me? (What would the fine be?, I also assume there would be costs associated with the DA process etc.)

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it's really bugging me. Thanks all for your help!
Cdro

OK it is done now, and this is not advice mind ;)

Go into the council (take your rates notice so you can show them you are the owner) and ask them for a copy of any plans they have on file for the property along with any approved additions that they might have application for.

There is a chance in some of the older areas, that they don't even have plans anymore ;). In that case, they tend to rely on www.nearmap.com to see over time what changes have been made. Most of the Inner West goes back to Nov 2009 only.

Once you have an idea of what they already have on file, you can plan your next move. Who is to know who made the changes?

Did you do the brick wall to fire rated specs?

If they have all the records, then perhaps go down the route of making application to do the changes you have currently made? (It will be a quick build time) :rolleyes:

What would happen? Roughly how much will it cost me? (What would the fine be?, I also assume there would be costs associated with the DA process etc.)
It my open a can of worms,most councils are the same when it come to illegal buildings and they have the footprint of the building plans that can go back a very long way,what i wondering is if this property is split and both rented how have you got the insurance set-up,and are the walls fire rated this will only be a problem when you sell..

I have found my local council very happy to help with approving previously unapproved work as long as it complies with their planning policy. I am currently organising a DA for my whole downstairs area (2br, 1 bath, living and kitchen) to be approved as a Granny Flat. They previously approved a DA for the same area to become part of the main house but I have changed my mind on this conversion since they recently dropped the section 94 contributions in our shire for Granny Flats - which means I niow don't need to forlk out 15k for the Granny approval.

Thanks all, very helpful. I think I will go to the council and ask for the existing plans like you suggested.

The wall isn't fire rated - I don't think it would cost too much to knock it out and do it again. I genuinely don't want anyone to get hurt if there is a fire.

You can buy very thin fire rated wall material, maybe you could just attach this to one side of the wall, make sure you go right up into the ceiling as fire rushes across through there. Also I believe any alterations done without council approval become legal after 7 years so maybe just hang in there

Better check your insurances - if you have done unapproved work not to standard you may find your cover void the event of a disaster.
Marg

So, all you did was put a wall down the middle....internally only without changing the outside envelope?

And a fence down the backyard.....I would think this would not have to be approved.

All I can think of is that you have two differing residents and that may be a problem with council but aren't they sharing...?

My main greif would be with insurance to tell the truth.

Just my thoughts on what has been explained thus far.

I think it should be ok renting part of the house separately, as some people even renting it by room. I'm happy to stand corrected here :) Approval by council will be handy however, for when you're selling in the future.

As for insurance, could you take a building insurance then 2 separate landlord insurances? We did similar arrangement for our block of 4 on 1 title via nrma...no probs.

Back