With this portfolio of properties and a toxic work environment, what should we do?

What do you think my husband should do?

• Find a job in another area of IT

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Find a job in a different industry

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Go into property development

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Start a small business

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Quit his job and retire

Votes: 35 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Read this recently and it reminded me of this thread. Hope it gives the OP some food tor thought.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, he said:

"Man.
Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

Tess, in reaction to that quote. That's real easy to say when everything is handed to you on a silver platter and you don't have to do anything to get what you need.

The Dalai Lama saying that is like the Queen of England saying the same thing. It's real easy to have that point of view when you don't have to put any effort into getting your needs met.

What you need to remember is to stop assuming that others have the same aspirations as you.

Each one of us have different goals. That's what makes it interesting.

I think it is reasonable to say that we are all here on this forum because we share a common interest in increasing our net worth and discuss the various means to do so. The figures may differ because different people have different aspirations and ambitions. Starting points and capabilities are also different.

There is a lot of pre-occupation with the 1% as evidenced by the recent global "Occupy" movement.

The OP may feel insecure about leaving their job but their net worth should reassure them it is safe to leave.

The OP may feel insecure about leaving their job but their net worth should reassure them it is safe to leave.

Yes, absolutely.
But that has nothing to do with whether they have more or less than the next person or X% of the population. It's merely a binary can it be done yes/no question. Comparing to others is pointless, fruitless, useless, and everything else -less.

$140k isn't a lot if you need $1.4M to keep up your lifestyle.

When I was in professional services, my wealthiest client's children had yearly lifestyle spend of about $800K each - this family is one of the wealthiest in Australia - so not sure how many Australians would be spending $1.4m on their lifestyle?

When I was in professional services, my wealthiest client's children had yearly lifestyle spend of about $800K each - this family is one of the wealthiest in Australia - so not sure how many Australians would be spending $1.4m on their lifestyle?

If children can spend 800k then adults can definitely spend 1.4M :)

Back