Woman 'used hot chocolate in thefts'

A
woman who spills hot chocolate on cashed-up bank customers and then robs them while pretending to help has made off with at least $24,000.

Melbourne's "hot chocolate thief" has struck at least three times and targets women. Last month she stole $20,000 that one victim had just withdrawn from the bank.

Police said the robberies were very well planned, and there was video footage of the woman working with at least one man.

"The thefts themselves are well organised, it's well planned. They are conducting surveillance we believe," Leading Senior Constable Richard Borradale told reporters on Monday.

"She follows them from a banking area, and when the moment is right, she will throw a large amount of hot chocolate on the victim from behind all over the victim's hair and back.

"While the victim is trying to clean herself down, the suspect will help her, basically distracting her from what's going on.

"At that same time she will help herself to the money that's been carried in her purse or bag and remove that, without the victim even being aware of it."

Snr Const Borradale described the thefts as European-style "distraction thefts".

One woman lost $20,000 she had just withdrawn from the Commonwealth Bank on the corner of Collins and Queen streets on November 12.

A second victim lost $4,000 she had withdrawn from the ANZ Bank on the corner of Swanston and Little Bourke streets on November 10.

A third woman, who had withdrawn $9,000 from the same ANZ Bank on the same day, was luckier.

She was followed by the thief who began to play out her elaborate ruse. But the victim became suspicious and the thief left empty handed.

Police said the thief had been seen wearing a grey suit, white shirt and sunglasses on her head.

She is described as aged in her 40s with red and brown shoulder-length hair and speaks with a European accent.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=683706

When was th last time you withdrew $20,000, $9,000 or $4,000 from an ATM machine.

Seems a bit suspect to me, I thought that most accounts had daily limits on them. Seems strange that the 3 people she robbed had thousands more than the average withdrawal.

Ah quite interesting- I can't vouche for that particular story but I can vouche for that method of trying to rob you. A couple of years ago my husband was returning home to our city apartment. He is what you might describe as "a well dressed elderly gentleman" though at that time was fit and had his wits about him--In the midday crowd on the corner of George and Hunter street - I think there may have been a McDonalds on that corner- whilst waiting at the lights,he was jostled from behind and a bloke said Oh someone has spilt choc milk all over your coat- let me help.He was taken strongly by the arm and the scum tried to hustle hime into this side doorway- Fortuneately my darling had the prescence of mind to break free and the scum slid away-- When he returned to our apt Darling was quite shaken by the implication-smart jacket need drycleaning too- I don't know if he had been observed but though not having visited an ATM he had been "visiting his money"as he likes to say at various banks and stopped for some discretionary spending at exccie shop on his way down to home. Ah those dyas of the last Stock market boom--

I only ever withdraw $100.
And the way i usually dress people in front at the rediteller watch over their shoulder at me.:p

Gee Cee

Sounds like the gypsy trick in Europe of throwing a baby at you; as you go to catch it someone makes off with your bag. The baby is a doll!

it'd be people leaving the bank with large cash withdrawls from OVER THE COUNTER - then leaving the bank - being watched from outside.

whenever i enter or leave a bank, i have my biga55 car key ready. they make the best weapons.

Bloody hard way to make a dollar.....stinking recession :mad:

Maybe she got the hot choc from Gloria Jeans....worth throwing away :D

Back