Women Leaders in Politics - (I'm not Sexist)

As the title reads, I'm not sexist in any way I believe in almost any situation a woman &/or a man can do a job/task/position whatever it may be equally.

However I'm sure I'm not the only one that has picked up on this trend, that each time a Leader of a Political Party has been female, the party has suffered greatly & the electorate turned severely on that party/leader i.e.

Natasha Stott Desppoja - Where are the Democrats now

Kristina Keneally - NSW Labor Premier - She's gone & NSW Labors Gone (crushing defeat)

Anna Bligh - QLD Labor Premier - Almost the worst ever state election loss

Julia Gillard - Hated Labor Prime minister, seen by many to be the worst ever & soon to be gone along with labor at the next election.

As both men & women all get to vote, and one would have to assume that both men and women are turning on these female leaders.

My question is this? Is it Australians can't listen to them, were not connecting with them, they can't get their message across or is it something more?

and once again before anyone jumps on my back, Iv'e thrown this out as a discussion not a sexist attack

Not true. Bligh and Gillard were both elected to government (well, you can debate the legitimacy of Gillard but she is still PM).

Not true. Bligh and Gillard were both elected to government (well, you can debate the legitimacy of Gillard but she is still PM).

Yes Gillard/Labor was voted in by the Greens & the independents & sorry then, I thought Bligh was appointed the leadership but still that serving that she & QLD Labor just got on the weekend was huge

Natasha didn't precipitate the demise of the Democrats, that was Meg Lees. Their left wing supporters couldn't forgive her for negotiating a final agreement with Howard on the GST.

And the rot was well and truly there when Kristine K became leader.

You could also reference, Joan Kirner (VIC) & Carmen Lawrence (WA), but I suspect they were trying to clean up the mess the blokes left for them.

I think we will rename this as the Bill Ludwig thread

How does thatcher fit into the theory?

It could be argued that far more political parties are cited out with men at the helm.

Bligh is the only Australian female to have gone to the people and been elected....Qld Premier in 2009.

All the others have gone to the people in an election and failed to get elected.

Julia led Labor to a hung Fed. Parliament in 2010 at 72 seats a piece. The independents and Greens then selected, not elected, her....not Labor....to be PM. Big difference.

For the Democrats, Cheryl Kernot didn't have a very good trot....ended up wandering over to Labor and having an affair with Mr Garrotte - Gareth Gareth Evans. She ended up fizzling away.

Meg Lees was crucified as the "mother of the GST" and as buzz says was never forgiven. She ended p fizzling away.

Natasha came straight from the president of the National Students Union, so never had any real life experience (like the majority of Pollies unfortunately) and summarily fizzled away.

In fact, when the Democrats finally gave up on the women and went back to men as their Leader, the whole Party fizzled back to nothingness.

Carmen Lawrence over here was chosen to mop up the disgusting Labor debacle of Brian Burke and Peter Dowding with WA Inc, that only took 25 years to sort out. As soon as she faced the public at an election she was dumped. Labor saw her a sa bright spark and quickly made room for her on the Federal scene and elevated her to a Ministry.....but then she fizzled out back to nothingness and left.

I gather Joan Kirner's lot in life was very similar to Carmens. Sent in to mop up, and summarily turfed out as soon as she faced the public at an election.

Perhaps the overwhelming conclusion is - the sex of the Leader doesn't matter one jot. If the Govt in power is ****, they will get turfed out no matter who is the head duck.

I don't follow too much politics from overseas, I was just seeing a trend in Australia, sorry should have been little clearer

After reading a few posts it looks like the trend could be "The Big Boys" sending the ladies as Lambs to the slaughter.

Dazz. If Abbott was now pm would you consider him unelected?

And each one of them was elected. They were then selected by the party as leader. Before or after. We don't elect leaders in this country.

After reading a few posts it looks like the trend could be "The Big Boys" sending the ladies as Lambs to the slaughter.

Noooo.

There is nothing to 'make'.

No trend, (as in scapegoats) the female leaders are quite capable of looking after themselves. Big girls.

The more interesting thing is the temperament of leaders. If notice Aung San Suu Kyi is an Idealist leader, Counselor Idealist, (same temperament as Gandhi, Havel to be specific, 'stands her ground diplomatically'. Julia Gillard is of Fieldmarshal Rational temperament, same as of Margaret Thatcher, Hillary Clinton, Golda Meir, Angela Merkel, Ellen Sirleaf for example. They are a force of their own, Iron Lady stuff, 'never, never give up'. Strategic Intelligence.

Sonia Gandhi is a Protector Guardian, same as George W H Bush, Queen Elizabeth II is an Inspector Guardian.

Eva Peron was of Promoter Artisan temperament, same as Paul Keating, John Kennedy, Franklin D Roosevelt.

You may, or may not like Julia Gillard, Margaret Thatcher's of the world, but they get things done, you are witnessing it now, a minority government, but she is able to get things through, mobilise her 'forces'. The Fieldmarshal Rationals are never victims, no matter their gender:

Hardly more than two percent of the total population, Fieldmarshals are bound to lead others, and from an early age they can be observed taking command of groups. In some cases, they simply find themselves in charge of groups, and are mystified as to how this happened. But the reason is that they have a strong natural urge to give structure and direction wherever they are - to harness people in the field and to direct them to achieve distant goals.

Dazz. If Abbott was now pm would you consider him unelected?

And each one of them was elected. They were then selected by the party as leader. Before or after. We don't elect leaders in this country.

As the last Fed. election produced a hung parliament, with both major parties gaining 72 seats a piece, neither was elected with an outright majority to govern - by definition - it was hung. You needed 76 seats to form Govt and neither was able to do that. The gaggle of six "selected" who they wanted to govern. The people in the other 144 electorates had no say in it whatsoever. That is what the problem and rancour is over.

Qld population get it. NSW voters got it. You and Evand will never get it.

I restate my claim that no Australian lady leading a major political party to an election has ever been successfully elected by the populace except for Anna Bligh in the state Qld election of 2009.

Natasha didn't precipitate the demise of the Democrats, that was Meg Lees. Their left wing supporters couldn't forgive her for negotiating a final agreement with Howard on the GST.

There is an ignominious list of failed women but I would not add Natasha to it.

Could I add Ros "Whiteboard" Kelly in her place?

As the last Fed. election produced a hung parliament, with both major parties gaining 72 seats a piece, neither was elected with an outright majority to govern - by definition - it was hung. You needed 76 seats to form Govt and neither was able to do that. The gaggle of six "selected" who they wanted to govern. The people in the other 144 electorates had no say in it whatsoever. That is what the problem and rancour is over.

Qld population get it. NSW voters got it. You and Evand will never get it.

I restate my claim that no Australian lady leading a major political party to an election has ever been successfully elected by the populace except for Anna Bligh in the state Qld election of 2009.

I agree. It was messy.

But if the independents has chosen the coalition would you be saying the same thing?

Merkel in Germany as well.

Go short Merkel. She's doomed. Germany is the first country to be wakeing up to the AGW fraud. Why not? Germans are supposed to be logical people.

Was Helen Clerk reelected in NZ? They seem to change leaders pretty regularly.

Go short Merkel. She's doomed. Germany is the first country to be wakeing up to the AGW fraud. Why not? Germans are supposed to be logical people.

Was Helen Clerk reelected in NZ? They seem to change leaders pretty regularly.

Don't know enough to comment on 1 but Clark was reelected.

You may, or may not like Julia Gillard, Margaret Thatcher's of the world, but they get things done, you are witnessing it now, a minority government, but she is able to get things through, mobilise her 'forces'. The Fieldmarshal Rationals are never victims, no matter their gender:

What I struggle with and I think most others do to, is which Julia is getting things done, is it the "Big Boys" pulling her strings or is it what she believes in. I don't ever get a read from her in any speech, interview or media conference, that she actually means what she says or even gives a hoot, just as long as she's in the job.

Back