Woolies or W3ightW@tchers or Contracting

Hi,
I would like to get some opinion of others who have similar interests to me.

I have been contracting for last few months. So far so good. Decent rates. Fun to work with different clients at the moment.

I got almost a verbal offer from W3ightW@tchers for a permanent role.
15 min walk + 30 min train + 20 min walk.

Recently I had an interview with Woolies and it really really went well. 40 min drive. If they offer the job I would take it straight away.

Now... how do I handle W3ightW@tchers? I don't want to say 'No' hoping I would get the WOW. At the same time, I don't want to make the W3ightW@tchers's manager's life difficult by misleading. I don't want to start here and leave in few weeks just because the other is a better job.

How would you handle this situation?

in this market, i would take first available job... and if other one comes up asses it on its merit.

I was in same situation like yours when i changed my last job.

had confirmation from two companies week apart.

started the first job... told other company that i will start after two weeks.

Lucky for me that first job wasn't for me.. so everything worked out well

What is an almost verbal offer?

Did Woolies say how long until they would let you know?

I would say to WW that you need some time to think and how long can you have to let them know?

Why did you write Weightwatchers like that?
Is it because you don't want Weightwatchers Australia to show up in the google matches for Weightwatchers?

Is there Jobs At Weightwatchers?
Is writing Weightwatchers Australia multiple times in a post good for Search Engine Optimisation?
Will working there give you some Tips On Weightloss? Or the Underground Weightloss Secrets?

i would take first available job... and if other one comes up asses it on its merit.
I'm a bit uncomfortable doing knowing that the other one is what I actually prefer.

What is an almost verbal offer?

Did Woolies say how long until they would let you know?

I would say to WW that you need some time to think and how long can you have to let them know?

Almost an offer: I had the first interview few weeks ago. In his view I lacked one particular skill he thought he needed. I argued that it is all taken care by software these days and also it is not a rocket science to learn. I need max of two days. He just emailed saying that he had been thinking and want to chat about the role again if I'm interested.

Woolies: I was the first one to interview. He said he would come back as soon as possible. He did mentioned that I could do 90% of the stuff but need to learn few tools. We had to change 3 rooms as the interview was scheduled for an hour. We spent 1.5 hours and also I got a good vibe :)

Like you said, I might delay the meeting with WW.

Why did you write W3ightw@tchers like that?
Is it because you don't want W3ightw@tchers Australia to show up in the google matches for W3ightw@tchers?
I hate you David :p

Will working there give you some Tips On Weightloss? Or the Underground Weightloss Secrets?
Definitely working there would have a positive influence in your life.

It is interesting WOW wants you to eat more and WW wants you to eat less :)

Devan, why on earth would you even consider going back to being a wage slave?

Reason 1: It is a lot easier to get loan for property investments.
Reason 2: Contract jobs really do take up a lot of time. Practically no time for IP search or knowledge adding.
Reason 3: Peace of mind.
Reason 4: Chasing jobs all the time can be tiring.

Having said that, I already got my 'standard' taxable income for 2014/15 already thanks to my redundancy payments + leave payouts + existing contracts. So I could play a little more in the contracting world :)

Hi,

Recently I had an interview with Woolies and it really really went well. 40 min drive. If they offer the job I would take it straight away.

I would handle the situation by asking both when exactly they need you to start.
If Wait Wothchaz really want you and would like you to start soon, then go with it. See how it goes in those first few weeks. I find I often get a good feel - is the boss good value or a lazy creep? Does the place have a good atmosphere or is it fake? Are the people insecure or friendly and helpful? Are there windows in your office? Is there healthy food nearby???

Keep going with the Woolies interviews - good experience and they're telling you about an area that you can work on over the next few years. Find out as much as you can.

If they want you, make your decision then. You haven't got the job yet.
And you do want a job.

That's Gen X thinking for you.:)

Reason 1: It is a lot easier to get loan for property investments.
Reason 2: Contract jobs really do take up a lot of time. Practically no time for IP search or knowledge adding.
Reason 3: Peace of mind.
Reason 4: Chasing jobs all the time can be tiring.

The mrs just went back to full time from contracting for similar reasons, so you're definitely not alone.

The Y-man

Is it woolies at their Bella Vista HQ?

I know contractors who have quit after a week due to the chronic on campus parking shortages, and have to park a 10-15 min walk away.

That and the traffic in the morning/afternoon. Most mornings its 20m+ to get the 300m between Old Windsor Rd and Lexington Drv.

Yes Dave. I had to park my car blocking other two cars and handover the keys.

Do they have any 'public' transport or at least a shuttle bus??

I know contractors who have quit after a week due to the chronic on campus parking shortages, and have to park a 10-15 min walk away.

My initial thought upon reading this was 'they complain about walking 10 - 15 minutes to their car and back?' Then I remembered we're talking about people that work in IT.

ZING!

Are all seriousness Devan, are you really that lazy?
I'm happy to walk 30 mins one way... but I don't want to spend driving 40 mins and then walk another 15 mins.
My home station is 12 mins walk away. So, I would rather catch a train instead of driving. I would hate it if I need to travel by two modes though.

It is interesting how life works. All these time, I didn't really attend many interviews. All of a sudden, this week, had interviews with WOW, Adobe, Commbank and OSR!
I'm not sure if it is a sign of market picking up or simply coincident.

It is interesting how life works. All these time, I didn't really attend many interviews. All of a sudden, this week, had interviews with WOW, Adobe, Commbank and OSR!
I'm not sure if it is a sign of market picking up or simply coincident.

Devan, it's a sign that what you're selling is in demand right now and you'd be silly to sell it (your services) for slave wages. Stick to contracting and make much, much more than you would being some cubicle monkey.

Stick to contracting and make much, much more than you would being some cubicle monkey.
The reality is that I'm not making any more through contracting than my 'normal' permanent role.

I got the first one month contract after applying for jobs over two months. The 2nd one month contract came through from my previous boss. Obviously my hit rates aren't that hot.

Back