Word of caution for the newbies.

what are you going on about, I'm from brizzy and swim all winter in Sydney, it's great, but when you get out then you freeze your **** off!!!!

Agree 100% Devo

As you point out, it's not easy for newcomers to know who is genuine and who's full of themselves and bulls@!t (and we've had and continue to have a few of these :D). I only finally implemented the ignore button this year after a long period of reading through the dribble of particular forum members and decided that the threads actually still made extraordinary sense even without their postings so I'm happy :)

Personal recommendations are always best on here, and if you're unsure of someone or their "persona" take the time to PM trusted members of the forum whom you've met or know of to be honest/upfront.

The trouble with forums like this is that, due to their very nature of anonymity, anyone can invent anything and others will believe. It's up to you to screen, question and doubt until you're satisfied yourself.

Common sense prevails, naturally.

Reactions: Les
I am as successful property investor with much experience and many properties under my belt.

I also believe that we are headed for a very major price correction, timeframe unknown, so I suppose that makes me a doom n gloomer.

Which category am I in?

Everyone's opinion is just that. An opinion, so keep on high fiving each other, I'm getting ready to pounce again.

Hi Devo,

Yes there's a lot of false negativity and stirring that has arisen.

It does make for hard reading through the posts and as you say confusion could set in whether it's good accurate or inaccurate information that is being tabled.

I suspect the negativity, so much wont be an issue for the newbies as it is, and always has been, a hurdle. Even when you mention investing to people you know,your friends & family. There are always people ready to contradict your beliefs and present the down side...we learn to look past that. But for it to happen on an investment site is completely unecessary.

Lets hope most will get bored and move to other sites.

It seems all ok to point out doom and gloom.... one day (eventually) they might be right , whether its days form now, a decade from now or sometime in the distant future but when it happens will they then start to broadcast pending wealth and prosperity.....the doom and gloom too doesn't last forever!

Perhaps we look at it differently
Like a glass half empty or half full
Doom and gloom or a chance for opportunities.

Let's look past the irritating formities for those opportunities!

Great post Devo. I actually have been loging on very rarely these days as the mood was pritty dismal with the posts that certain people were putting up. Yep we all know that property isnt a get rich quick scheme and its certainly got its ups and downs and its certainly not for everyone, however the crap that people have been allowed to post has just been rediculas and I really cant understand why alot of it wasnt just removed. We all know the posters and we all know they are just stiring the pot and not contributing so why leave it up. Just my thoughts. I know its a free world and everyone is entitled to their views etc but there needs to be a point where the mods say enough is enough.

I personally dont follow the cheaper positively geared properties that are out there so I stay clear of another prop forum that is prodominently about +ve gearing. Its that simple. If I went there with the sole intention to stir rubbish then I would certainly expect my posts to be deleted.

Anyhow certainly a great thread Devo and lets hope we get back to the enjoyable forum it was and those respected forumites return and bring their experiances and advice back with them :)

cheers Jayro!

I am as successful property investor with much experience and many properties under my belt.

I also believe that we are headed for a very major price correction, timeframe unknown, so I suppose that makes me a doom n gloomer.

Which category am I in?

Everyone's opinion is just that. An opinion, so keep on high fiving each other, I'm getting ready to pounce again.

Why do you think that U4M?

How major are you thinking?

I value your opinions and input.

Which category am I in?

I think everyones opinion is worth listening to but many comments are getting well beyond a helpful comment or reference. There are many one liners suggesting property investing is about to finish as we know it,prices will crash and not recover,Values will plateau and stay there forever ,get out while you can etc etc. I just feel that if you are on ths forum then you have already made the decision to look into or start investing. From that point we should be talking about what is best to do in this current climate. If that is to sit on your cash and wait according to one person and start looking to buy to another then so be it.But many post are just personal attacks on investors and there way of thinking. Thats where i think things get muddy and a newbie may be put of for ever due to some irrational comments before they get a chance to hear a balanced argument. As stated this is more for the new guys. Give this forum some time and learn all you can of all the people you can. You will eventually discover who has expieriance and therefore who is worth listening too.

I just feel that if you are on ths forum then you have already made the decision to look into or start investing. From that point we should be talking about what is best to do in this current climate. If that is to sit on your cash and wait according to one person and start looking to buy to another then so be it.But many post are just personal attacks on investors and there way of thinking.

Yes, I don't appreciate the ridiculous posts about property investing, although I haven't come across many of these. There are trouble makers in any forum, and we get similar things over at GHPC.

I don't think I've been guilty of personal attacks or just being here to annoy, but unfortunately, since I think waiting out is the best option at the moment I seem to have been lumped in with troublemakers (according to some like LA Aussie anyway).

Perhaps I should leave and come back when I do think its a good time to buy?

I think this is highly unfair. Most people you have labelled as Doom & Gloomers are interesting in buying property and are simply making an intelligent and well-educated decision about the current state of the market, and deciding to hold off. Isn't that what REAL investors do and isn't that the point of a forum for intelligent discussion re real estate investing?

Anyone who chooses to 'ignore button' opposing advice and constructive criticism is not an intelligent investor and is choosing only to hear what they want to hear.

If you're not willing to invite opposing discussion and use that as a basis for reinforcing or challenging your beliefs, then you don't have a forum.... you have a cult.

I think this is highly unfair. Most people you have labelled as Doom & Gloomers are interesting in buying property and are simply making an intelligent and well-educated decision about the current state of the market, and deciding to hold off. Isn't that what REAL investors do and isn't that the point of a forum for intelligent discussion re real estate investing?

Anyone who chooses to 'ignore button' opposing advice and constructive criticism is not an intelligent investor and is choosing only to hear what they want to hear.

If you're not willing to invite opposing discussion and use that as a basis for reinforcing or challenging your beliefs, then you don't have a forum.... you have a cult.

Rogue I believe there is a clear distinction between what you have described and some of the commentary that has come from those who expouse a very very different political, social and economic slant on property ownership.

If it was just as you say, then that is how this forum has always run. Recently, personal attacks, vicious in some cases and just pure baiting is boring, childish and adds no value to any discussion here or anywhere for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'm enjoying all the goings on at the moment....makes for some great reading. Some are getting their feathers a bit ruffled tho...

It's interesting how the forum changes so much depending on the economic outlook. You can really track the sentiment thru the content of posts and posters.

IMO the new bearish members are really only a sign of the times and are really not any different to what you get opinion wise from people ATM on property investing period. Rightfully so I guess... to the person just starting their IP journey things must look pretty dismal.

Good way to guage how dedicated you are to your investing right now. See if you can weather all the negetivity and come out the other side...

I believe there is a fine line between a genuine opposing opinion and a deliberate baiting or attack. Many stay on the right side but others dont. My major concern is for new people who are yet to develop much knowlage on property investing. If they were to witness some of the lesser post going around then that may be enough for them to walk away and not come back. That is not good regardless of the current market condition.

When i was new to this forum and a bit wobbly on my feet. My opinion changed regularly because i was all of a sudden exposed to all this information. It took some time to settle my thoughts down and develope a direction i wanted to head in. And that was back when there was less rubbish floating around. A newbie today may have more trouble than i did.So i am not attacking the people. Im attacking the comments of no value.
just trying to think of the new guys.

Hiya Devo

I suspect your last post there sorta said

We dont mind people with a different opinion, but the TROLLS that post mainly to get some sort of reaction should be disregarded

Id agree.

HG et al of similar ilk, tend to use reasoned arguments to present their case, and I believe most of use are willing to listen to that logic, some of the others.................are just plain rude and get offended when others return the favour.

ta
rolf

I still consider myself as a newbie, my level of trust for a post is usually based on the green squares, number of posts, and the join date of that member.

I believe the longer you stay, the more senior you are (knowledge wise...:D)

Super.

Stupid D&G posters

Sure, I've had 3 IP's and made a killing.. and own my PPOR outright.. and have a Family Trust set up to manage future R/E IP's when the downturn is over...
Bought and sold shares on the ASX, US as well as options trading over the last 12 years.
But I'm open in mind enough to take the scales off my eyes and see a downturn when it's ahead/happening.... and actually take action rather than standing frozen on the road like a frightened deer.. or, even worse, encourage other deer to 'come into the light'...

So sure.. what would I know... I'm just a dumb old D&G'r while anyone who buys into R/E at this point in time is certainly far too smart to be burnt eh ?

Australia is, after all, imune to all of this Sub-Prime fallout... isn't it ?
Australia is, after all, not reliant on the US for our economy to continue its boom.. .isn't is ?
Australia is, after all, going to have a commodities boom forever regardless of what is happening to the rest of the world's economies.

+Ignore me if you wish.. close our mind... and enjoy the ride... it's going to be an interesting couple of years ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, I've had 3 IP's and made a killing.. and own my PPOR outright.. and have a Family Trust set up to manage future R/E IP's when the downturn is over...
Bought and sold shares on the ASX, US as well as options trading over the last 12 years.
So sure.. what would I know... I'm just a dumb old D&G'r while anyone who buys into R/E at this point in time is certainly far too smart to be burnt eh ?
+Ignore me if you wish.. close our mind... and enjoy the ride... it's going to be an interesting couple of years ladies and gentlemen.
Rastus maybe write a book called :The Great Real Estate Swindle of 2003 :now that you have made a killing on property-equities what do you INVEST in now I hope it's not fixed term in a Bank that's just about to go belly-up
willair..

I don't read every thread by any means and if I read one that gets repetitive or abusive, I just tune out and move on.

I think YM and HG have a valid role here on Somersoft, when they argue rationally and present valid stats. Indeed, i agree with a lot of their macro views. And sorry LAA, but I do see how the Ponzi analogy fits. I think even Warren Buffett used it in relation to property investment, as has Bill Gross from Pimco.

Let's face it, most members here are highly motivated PIers and more likely to wear rose coloured glasses about property investing.

And just because you are a member, doesn't mean you are above ramping a suburb cos you are trying to sell, or will otherwise benefit financially from skewing a positive slant.

I am all for someone arguing the downside intelligently.

Back