Word of caution for the newbies.

I am writing this for all the People new to these forums and Property investing. (Myself included)

I believe at the moment people on these forums can be roughly broken down into three groups.

1# the newbie or soon to be Property investor looking for guidance or information.
2# the seasoned investor with one or more property cycles under their belt.
3#and the emerging group of negative posters hell bent on portraying Property investing in a bad light.
Now I’m not talking about people saying turbulent times are coming. This is something I think all of us agree on.
I’m talking about the people who seem to want the market to crash and want to see mum and dad investors lose everything. They seem to be getting satisfaction from the current slow down and appear to be trying to change sentiment in an attempt to control the market’s direction. What their motivation is to even be on these forums is a mystery to me.These people to provide some service because they show the negatives to investing and show you where to show caution and do more research. Use them for this but thats it i say.

You know what. I hate golf. So it would come as no surprise that you will never catch me on a golfing forum. This cannot be said for a few trolling these forums at the moment.

I bring this up because if you are a genuine member here and have been for some time. These people are easy to spot and therefore ignore. But the newbie’s may not know this and therefore think any response they read is a genuine person wanting to help. This is not always the case.

There are many people on this forum who have seen it all and genuinely have a lot to offer. They will tell you the good and bad points and where they have gone wrong over the years. Also where they have succeeded. These are the people to look for. I thank these people for sharing their experiences and I hope to be in a similar situation later in life so I can come on these forums and share my stories. Both good and bad.

The fact remains you are on here because you have chosen or you are considering using property to increase your wealth. Don’t let people sway you with their own bitter spin on things. There is no doubt that the market has changed and the market direction over the next 5 years is anyone’s guess .So I say take on board all HONEST information on offer. Do you own research and use the information available here to help you achieve this.

You can throw this post back in my face if you wish but i have been on here for about a year. And during the last few months i have noticed not everyone is on here to help.Sad really.Look for the good guy and watch out for that 1 % who are not here to help.

Excellent post, devo76 - and a timely one, I believe.

I'd also like to add another point to those that devo has made. There have been several long-term posters who have made valuable contributions to the forum over the years and who have left the forum in recent months for various reasons. The forum is, I believe, the poorer for their departure, and their experience and invaluable contributions will be sorely missed by seasoned forumites and newbies alike.

A number of forumites have made the point (in various recent threads) that all points of view are welcome - and so they should be! But, in my view, there is no place on the forum for the abuse of others or of their points of view. Agree to disagree, by all means - but surely we can all do this in a civilized and respectful manner.

Cheers
LynnH

Reactions: Les
I bring this up because if you are a genuine member here and have been for some time. These people are easy to spot and therefore ignore. But the newbie’s may not know this and therefore think any response they read is a genuine person wanting to help. This is not always the case.

This is the key issue. Kudos Devo, good post.

Sorry, I "must spread some kudos around before giving it to devo76 again".

Good post devo :)

One point though, not everyone who wants the market to crash hates property... It'd be quite handy to a number of genuine property investors if everything dropped in value.

-Ian

Sorry, I "must spread some kudos around before giving it to devo76 again".

Good post devo :)

One point though, not everyone who wants the market to crash hates property... It'd be quite handy to a number of genuine property investors if everything dropped in value.

-Ian
I agree, I think most people who want the market to crash, do so because they want to own property, not because they are anti-property. And for smart investors, lower prices are a good opportunity. I visit here because I'm interested in owning property, gearing, etc., and there is a lot of good experience here to draw on. But I also have my own opinions about timing, I would hope newbies were made aware of the current risks....

The easiest way to spot them is to search for "Speculators", and anyone who uses the term should be added to your 'wary' list.

The easiest way to spot them is to search for "Speculators", and anyone who uses the term should be added to your 'wary' list.

"Specufestors" is more the term used isn't it?

And yes, great and timely post, Kudos to you sir.

Dave

Last edited:
great post Devo. It needed to be said and one of the mods should make it a sticky.

There are some that want to be helped and some that can't be helped. It's not difficult to see who's who.

Herbert Spencer said "The grait aim of Education is not Knowledge but to provoke Action".

Thanks Everyone. It has been on my mind for some time. While i believe that it is great to here both the positive and negative side to investing. I feel the negative responses should still be in the interest of property investing .ie Helpful . Afterall this is a property investing forum.Im sure overly D&G posts will continue to come thick and fast( Hopefully not on this thread).I just hope that newbies and others see them for what they are. Take on board what they think is relevant out of the responses and draw there own conclusions about the viability of property investing now and in the coming years.

how can you say this when the world is ending?? property prices are going to bcome worthless, all you investors are suckers!

HAHAHA...

sorry i have got caught up in all these doom and gloomers.

J/Ks

Great post Devo, i do belive these negative doomsdayers are the ones who are also new to the market or have been bitten in the past. we are going through winter currently, and soon it will be summer... you just have to decide weather you going to buy ur swimmers cheap now, or pay full price in summer when its blue skies and happy days.

all i can say to the doom n gloom clan, is i hope you buy your summer clothes beforeoctober and dont wait till april next year to buy, otherwise you will be left in the cold.

BTW this thread should be a sticky.

A reminder - make sure you use the 'report post' button on any post that is just a slur with no value whatsoever. It's the thing that looks like a little give way sign on the top right hand corner of the post.

Nice post. As a newbie I've been reading over much of the content here and can see a fair bit of negative-nancy coming from people. Anyone pretty seasoned with the internet knows that is just what people do, but I agree that it's a pain none the less.

Even in my short time here I've been able to see some very guinine advice from some very switched on people. Even the way you write stands out so I wouldn't be too worried!

how can you say this when the world is ending?? property prices are going to bcome worthless, all you investors are suckers!

HAHAHA...

sorry i have got caught up in all these doom and gloomers.

J/Ks

Great post Devo, i do belive these negative doomsdayers are the ones who are also new to the market or have been bitten in the past. we are going through winter currently, and soon it will be summer... you just have to decide weather you going to buy ur swimmers cheap now, or pay full price in summer when its blue skies and happy days.

all i can say to the doom n gloom clan, is i hope you buy your summer clothes beforeoctober and dont wait till april next year to buy, otherwise you will be left in the cold.

BTW this thread should be a sticky.

Great Post!

Your weather forecast is a great analogy Nathan, well done!

On that note:

I'll be buying swimmers, the weather will be so damn fine, I'll be swiming for some time!:D

Rgerads JO

totally agree.

We are here to learn/discuss how to invest in RE. Not whether to invest in RE. If someone think that shares is better than properties. They should go to shares forum.

I just press ignore button when I see the D&G posts.

***waits for someone to say that the only good swimming is in QLD cos the water is too cold in syd/melb***

heehee :)

Back