Worst Melbourne suburb within 15km of the City (excluding the West)

North West?

Footscray wins everytime. 5 kms from the city and still the pits.

Still suffering a perception problem with the population, however it has caught up in the last 12 months... I love footscray, however I am seeing apartments now up to $7500 per sqm with no car park when 12 months ago you could secure a 1br for $300k at $6500 psqm with a car park.

I'm continuing to look up the rd....Braybrook is the new footscray (can you believe it?) as well as Sunshine for townhouse opportunities.

Cheers Ivan

Re the OP - are you asking to live in or to invest?

Had a bit of a laugh at a few posts. For investments - I would not touch Brunswick, and for living would not live in Heidelberg but would consider investing there for sure.

Clayton is a awesome place - as is Noble Park and Springvale but they are not within 15 kms and arguably neither is clayton or oakleigh.

Best place to invest is Footscray and Yarraville in my opinion, not necessarily the best place to live... Essendon is one to live in and perhaps Keilor on the border of 15km and yes agree stay away from Broadmeadows...

Cheers Ivan

Whats wrong with brunswick for investment?

In all seriousness Clayton has so much infrastructure it's a good place to invest. You'd probably need 800k to get something decent there now, the only homes I liked were weatherboards along the Princes highway approaching North rd (the far North West of Clayton). Not sure how much more Clayton can grow, I believe it will grow more but I'd call it a bubble. I was not impressed with the aesthetics of the area but Clayton is in a perfect location.

Lacks a decent government school with either Oakleigh South or Westall being the closest ones depending on which end of Clayton you are at.

We shortlisted Clayton in mid / early last year, but ended up buying a place in Chadstone instead - offered somewhat more for about $80K more. Bit closer to city, access to Ashwood Secondary and big shopping centre.

I would have said Heidelberg West too, because of places like this:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-heidelberg+west-118022203

but not Heidelberg Heights judging by a new development there. $743,000 for a 3x2 townhouse. Seems like a lot.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-heidelberg+heights-119276367

A little further west is better, towards Waiora. Pretty green and well kept, close to Rosanna shopping strip. This is a bit too far from the train station. I prefer to be no more than 1km away.

A little further west is better, towards Waiora. Pretty green and well kept, close to Rosanna shopping strip. This is a bit too far from the train station. I prefer to be no more than 1km away.
Next to Rosanna is more expensive, like Porter Road. I'm a bit surprised they are selling this development at such high prices. Prices over there must have gone up more than I thought.

It's interesting that Ivanhoe, Heidelberg and Rosanna are reasonably desirable and Heidelberg Heights benefits from that, but in close proximity is Heidelberg West and it is quite undesirable.

Back