Worst Melbourne suburb within 15km of the City (excluding the West)

Just for interests sake, what is the worst Melbourne suburb within 15km of the City, excluding the western suburbs, and why?

Cheers,
Fitz

+2

Heidelberg however, has some beautiful parts. It's all about the ridge between the two.

So is this isolated just to this suburb in this area? I've checked the median house prices of suburbs next to Heidelberg West, and it appears substantially higher (i.e. $800k median house proce for Rosanna, with Heidelbergs median house price being approx $480k)..

So is this isolated just to this suburb in this area? I've checked the median house prices of suburbs next to Heidelberg West, and it appears substantially higher (i.e. $800k median house proce for Rosanna, with Heidelbergs median house price being approx $480k)..

Pretty much, yep. The Heidelberg cafe strip is nice, and anything off it, or off Beverley Road is nice.

Heidelberg is nice area, but Heidelberg West is a different neighbouring suburb and as mentioned has bad reputation and a lot of housing commission houses. Demographics in these two suburbs are like a night and a day.

Has to be Clayton for the South East. That might be 20k's though. Drive along the Princes highway once you leave Oakleigh Clayton-Noble Park all looks and is the same imo.

I always held Clayton in high regard but after looking there and Springvale I think Noble Park might be a better option lol. Practically the same thing 300k less and as close to Springvale shops/station. There are million dollar homes East of Springvale rd that are practically Clayton South where they're going for 600k North of Osborne avenue.

Also thought Huntingdale/Oakleigh was much nicer and exceeded my exceptions of what I thought it would be.

I always spruik Berwick for ppor, but I think I'd buy there over Springvale Clayton South for investment, when it comes to 500-650k bracket.

In all seriousness Clayton has so much infrastructure it's a good place to invest. You'd probably need 800k to get something decent there now, the only homes I liked were weatherboards along the Princes highway approaching North rd (the far North West of Clayton). Not sure how much more Clayton can grow, I believe it will grow more but I'd call it a bubble. I was not impressed with the aesthetics of the area but Clayton is in a perfect location.

Last edited:
I think people who are in Melbourne so far have suggested Heildeberg West which I don't disagree with as I am only a few suburbs from it and it has had a bad reputation for years.

But what are people's thoughts on this suburbs say in 10-15 yrs due to its distance from CBD(13kms)and I would think the demand for land in the 10-15km zone it sits in.

Coota

Because the west is just the worst haha. Kidding

By the way notice some posters confuse Heidelberg and Heidelberg West. Not sure if the latter is booming. The former might.

Sunshine West, Albion and Ardeer are within 15klms of the City.

So is Campbellfield....I suppose we ain't birds and we must use roads.

If I had cash, I'd be buying in Heidelberg West - big time! In 5-7 years I can see it having a massive increase.

Times have changed and circumstances are so different now, the immigration invasion and investment invasion from Asia has caused massive changes to the market....its no longer just 'employment and interest rates' ...its the external factors as well.

Re the OP - are you asking to live in or to invest?

Had a bit of a laugh at a few posts. For investments - I would not touch Brunswick, and for living would not live in Heidelberg but would consider investing there for sure.

Clayton is a awesome place - as is Noble Park and Springvale but they are not within 15 kms and arguably neither is clayton or oakleigh.

Best place to invest is Footscray and Yarraville in my opinion, not necessarily the best place to live... Essendon is one to live in and perhaps Keilor on the border of 15km and yes agree stay away from Broadmeadows...

Cheers Ivan

Had a bit of a laugh at a few posts. For investments - I would not touch Brunswick, and for living would not live in Heidelberg but would consider investing there for sure.

Redwood,

Can I ask why you wouldn't live in Heidelberg? Not far from Kew, Ivanhoe etc.

Great cafe scene, good shops and supermarkets including ALDI, easy access to the city.

Lifestyle is fantastic, lots of sporting ovals, main yarra trail bike way to the city, mountain biking trail alongside the river. Short trip out to the winery, Eltham train for the kids, golf course etc.

Leafy suburb, quiet off the main road.

We aren't talking Heidelberg West here, so just curious, what's not to like?

Ask Ivan how many properties he has before asking why not Heidelberg. ;)

Redwood,

Can I ask why you wouldn't live in Heidelberg? Not far from Kew, Ivanhoe etc.

Great cafe scene, good shops and supermarkets including ALDI, easy access to the city.

Lifestyle is fantastic, lots of sporting ovals, main yarra trail bike way to the city, mountain biking trail alongside the river. Short trip out to the winery, Eltham train for the kids, golf course etc.

Leafy suburb, quiet off the main road.

We aren't talking Heidelberg West here, so just curious, what's not to like?

Back