Worst Tradies ever?

Has anyone had any experience with some bad tradies? i have just recently - i thought to try some chinese hire seeming there were relatively cheap for painting and plastering.

They demanded money every day for work completed - which under building contract requires only 10% however i am ok with that as long as it gets done. On one particular day - i did not want to pay them as their work was sub par and they got really upset and anatagonist in my apartment. I told them to either come back to get it done properly as i'm not paying some sub par job. They refused to leave and even held my key ransom.

I called security which told them not to cause trouble and it was like 9pm and they had to leave.The police came finally and told them to get out as it was civil disputes. As everything was verbal - nothing in concrete - it was hard to argue anything as nothing was in writing with their minimal english skills.

Overall - it was actually a learning experience - but i'm now sticking to registered tradies from now on.

Like any other tradies, there are good and bad. As a good rule of thumb, don't hire cheap tradies unless they're recommended to you by someone you know.

- i thought to try some chinese hire seeming there were relatively cheap

I don't think I really need to elaborate...............

Cheap doesn't always mean bad quality. I was introduced to a cheap and good chinese plumber by someone I know, I got three quotes and his quote was the cheapest (one third of the most expensive quote) and because he was recommended, we decided to try his service, and he did a good job.

On the bottom of all my quotes is:

THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY
IS LONG REMEMBERED
AFTER THE SWEETNESS
OF LOW COST IF FORGOTTEN ;)

On the bottom of all my quotes is:

THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY
IS LONG REMEMBERED
AFTER THE SWEETNESS
OF LOW COST IF FORGOTTEN ;)

maybe you should insert that 3/4 down the page .people tend to stop reading after the price (especially here)

Anyway after looking at the paint job - it is one of the worst paint job i have ever seen.

i'm going to be looking for damages.

or the ones (and it's most of them) that pull out the old line "I may be a little bit more expensive but I do the job properly" (great, so a fair price doesn't get the job done properly?) and then do a REALLY bad job. and then hit you for unauthorised variations... can i get a discount for cash? Oh no that was a cash price. Grrrr!!!

This thread reminds me of when people bust my partners chops for a quote and he doesn't hear from them until a little while later asking him to come and fix someone elses incompetence.

Yes the saying is true, you get what you pay for!

This thread reminds me of when people bust my partners chops for a quote and he doesn't hear from them until a little while later asking him to come and fix someone elses incompetence.

Yes the saying is true, you get what you pay for!

i get this all the time ,i simply tell them to get the person who did the job to go back and fix their work as obviously i am not good enough to have done the job in the first place

I used a Chinese company who did a brilliant job on my kitchen for perhaps 1/3 of the cost. I used a fully registered building company to fix the leaks in our roof, paid for a lot of extras, and we still have the leaks! Just glad I had kept back some of the payment and they may never see it - along with a letter explaining why they didnt receive it.

Has anyone had any experience with some bad tradies? i have just recently - i thought to try some chinese hire seeming there were relatively cheap for painting and plastering.

They demanded money every day for work completed - which under building contract requires only 10% however i am ok with that as long as it gets done. On one particular day - i did not want to pay them as their work was sub par and they got really upset and anatagonist in my apartment. I told them to either come back to get it done properly as i'm not paying some sub par job. They refused to leave and even held my key ransom.

I called security which told them not to cause trouble and it was like 9pm and they had to leave.The police came finally and told them to get out as it was civil disputes. As everything was verbal - nothing in concrete - it was hard to argue anything as nothing was in writing with their minimal english skills.

Overall - it was actually a learning experience - but i'm now sticking to registered tradies from now on.

yeah these chinese tradies gave some abuse sms and threaten to come for their money. Reported it to police. The police gave them a warning to stop it or else face haressment charges.

Back