Would $10 reduction in rent make a difffernce?

Hi there,

After your thoughts/comments....

I've recently adverised my new IP (I'm moving out in a week) for $450 per week.

It's a 6 month old apartment in Hawthorn East, 1 bed, 1 bath, 1 car spot. living area approx 55-60m2, balcony 8m2.

It's only been on the market for 1 week but have had no interest. PM advised we should reduce to $440 on Monday.

Do you think $10 would make a difference? Would you hold out a little more or reduce? I guess in the big scheme of things $520 pa isn't a huge difference!

What would you do?

Thanks JNI

If the marketing has been done well and you have no interest at all then reducing the rent or some other incentive could be a very good idea.

Consider how much an extra week of vacancy will take you to make up at $10 a week.

How accurate is that rent? Research from a renters perspective in terms of what else is available for the same price and what condition your place is in, also consider if it's the market entirely or slack marketing from your PM. Another idea would be to try and get a new lease expiring around peak rental times.

Call up and pretend to be an applicant. See what kind of response you get.
This will let you know if it is your rent, or the inflexibility / lack of interest from the PM.

Call up and pretend to be an applicant. See what kind of response you get.
This will let you know if it is your rent, or the inflexibility / lack of interest from the PM.

That is a great idea. I am not a landlord but a renter and we once saw a house that we thought was lovely. We rang the agent to ask to look inside and he said we had to drive past first. We already had and when we told him so he said he was really busy, he was obviously not at all interested in showing us the house at that time but said he would ring us back about an inspection later on. He never did, we ended up leasing a home a few streets away and noticed that the "For Lease" sign stayed outside that property for more than 4 months.

Even though its a newer "prestigious" unit in a sought after building,r for a 1 bed you closest competition seems to be at $380 and $350 pw so you maybe just getting a lack of interest soley due to price from perspective tenants just surfing the net rather than seeing it in real life to why its worth an extra $70-$100 pw.

The 2 bed unit next door also seems high at $650 so there must be a reason why its also +$100 over it nearest competitor.

I don't know if $10 less will work but if you get a teant 1 week quicker then the loss is nearly negated over a year.

The 2 bed unit next door also seems high at $650 so there must be a reason why its also +$100 over it nearest competitor.

I don't know if $10 less will work but if you get a teant 1 week quicker then the loss is nearly negated over a year.

The 2 bed for $650 shocked me also! 6 months ago 2 beds were going for $550 in my building (they seem very similar).

A smaller studio type apartment went for $420 in my building a couple of weeks ago so that's why I thought $450 was reasonable. Maybe I need to bridge the gap a little further. You're right, reducing it a little to get someone quicker will negate the loss soon enough.

JNI

I tend to give a property 2 weeks with advertising and opens, if there is no suitable interest then we reduce the rent by $5 - $10 per week. A lot of people are noticing a slow down in rentals at this time of year so a reduction wouldn't be a bad idea! You're better off reducing the rent and getting a tenant quickly than holding out for the elusive tenant who will pay the higher price!

Take control of your own financial destiny

Hi JNI,

One week is still early call, statistics show that residential rental properties, generally take 2 weeks to get it rented out, however, those are only stats, and you always must strive to better that.

Your goal as an investor, is not only to minimise you vacancies, but more importantly attract he 'best' tenant for your investment property.

Reducing your asking rental price may work, if you have set the rental price, above market value. But my question to you is, what will you do after 2, 3,4 weeks of no or little interest, will you keep lowering your rent? This is not a smart strategy, and the loser is you in the end. This $520 could be used to pay your property manager, insurance or other maintenance cost.

Also having it vacant, how much interest are you paying to the bank per day, that's coming out of your pocket? Not good too.

The question that your property manager may be lazy, maybe a reason, but in all honesty most agents are good, however, you should know best. Why did you choose this agent? Was it for their track record? recommendation from family or friends?

There is never a property that cannot be sold or leased out, if you focus on these 3 key fundamentals;

1. Price
2. Presentation
3. Marketing

We will assume, that you got the price right, as your property manager may of suggested that to you and from your knowledge of the building.

We will also assume that your apartment is clean and well presented, and this is reflected on the photos on the internet.

The most important part is 3. Marketing. My guess marketing is lacking, and its not the fault of your agent, they are doing the best they can, from the knowledge and time they have. Its just that you now have the control and the choice to do something about it!

At the moment, and what most investors do, they handball one of their biggest investments to someone else, who doesn't know as much about the property as you do, nor have as much vested interest to get it rented as you. Your agent is doing everything in traditional sense, whilst your sitting on the sidelines hoping they'll get you the result your after; A. getting it rented and B. with a 'good' tenant.

I always say, buying and renting begins on the interent, and if you haven't captured their interest from the word go, you will lose renters and buyers with a click of a mouse.

Just think about this, you are competing with all the other hundreds of 1 bedroom rental apartments in and around your given suburb.

You need to stand out, your listing must have lots of photos and a detailed description about the apartment and surrounding neighbourhood. You need to give them a reason, why your apartment is the best, and the number of bedrooms, or bathrooms with a couple of photos does not cut it anymore.

Your agent cannot do this for you because they don't know. Your the expert of your apartment, because your the only one that could answer these questions;

1. what improvements have you done
2. what are the views like?
3. what are all the appliances?
4. have you taken photos of all rooms in the apartment, and even include the storage areas?
5. what about describing the outside?
6. the neighbourhood?
7. the distances to amenities?

etc, etc - I can go an forever....

You need to tug at your "prospective tenants" emotion, and that can only be achieved by you, JMI, even if you hadn't lived there, then ask yourself, why did you buy this apartment? What had appealed to you?

My challenge to you...

Either you sit back, and hope that next week, you may get a tenant and can keep dropping your rent, whilst at the same time, you have to keep meeting your mortgage payments, week after week OR
you can start taking control of your financial destiny.

1. Leave your agent - let them do their thing. This should not bother you.
2. Take a few hours, and make a note of all the good things about your apartment. Step into the mind of your tenant, and think about why should they rent out your apartment?
3. Note down all the features of your apartment; heating, cooling, views, appliances etc
4. take note of the amenties, the neighbourhood the outside building etc
5. take more pictures; let the photos be the eyes of your tenant. They're going to see it anyway at inspection, so why should they start on the internet.

Then you can either build your own webpage, and post all these details or you can post it all for free on our website; www.iPostcodes.com.au

> Unlimited description
> unlimited photos
> own dashboard, which you will see the stats of your listing
> send all enquiries to your agent with a click of a mouse button

Then the cool part is, once you got it rented, you can store it in your personal "archive" folder, so next time, it becomes available you can click "activate". So really you need to do the initial work only once.

You then give the unique link to your agent, to put it into their marketing materials, so now, when a potential renter, goes and checks out your apartment, they will now have an;
1. agent perspective
2. owner perspective

Your listing will stand out amongst the hundreds of your competitiors, and believe me, you would have now increased your chances so much more in getting your rental property rented out ASAP, plus have the ability to choose the best tenant for your property.

Every tenant that now calls your agent, or goes to an inspection, is already 50% qualified if not more. If you done a good job, they will only be there to confirm physically and pick up an application form to apply.

I have had my rental properties, signed up, without the tenants, physically inspecting, How cool is that!

I would also post in other free internet portals, like Gumtree. The more you expose on different platforms, the higher chance of finding the tenant.

Let me know how you go, and if you have any questions just write to me here, or if you you prefer you could send me a personal email, and I'll answer any questions you may have.

Too your success!

Most prospective tenants wouldn't notice a reduction in the asking rent by $10. Those savvy enough to spot it will wonder why and possibly come to the conclusion of a $20-$30 per week rent reduction on the asking rent. I'd say there's two options here:

1. Spend a bit of time getting to understand the market better. This may mean you're only a little out or possibly a lot out on the asking rent. You could also be in the right spot but it was a slow week.

2. Offer a 'rent free' period of 1 week. It's a bit different so it's more likely to get attention than a rent reduction and it'll cost you less money over the course of a year.

Realistically though, 1 weeks vacancy is not even worth sweating about. I'd get worried at about 3 weeks.

It could also be that the agent isn't marketing the property effectively.

I'm not sure if you'd be keen on having a "small" pet in your new property but allowing a pet will prob see it get snapped up quicker.

Cheers

Jamie

On our rental properties we sometimes offer a week's free rent, which is a bonus rather than dropping the weekly rent. As it so much more harder to get your rent back up after you've dropped it than giving it three weeks with the rent.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Jason Moore and Sherry Ortiz

I'd be interested to know if it's still available, and who through/the street it's on.

I don't manage any properties in Hawthorn, however have a few surrounding and it seems over priced going on competitive properties from the info provided.

Heck, I'll go to an open for you and meet your PM!

On our rental properties we sometimes offer a week's free rent, which is a bonus rather than dropping the weekly rent. As it so much more harder to get your rent back up after you've dropped it than giving it three weeks with the rent.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Jason Moore and Sherry Ortiz

Good point.

I do this on my multi-tenant commercial property.... works like a charm! The fact that it keeps the monthly rental higher is even more important with a commercial as comparative sqm rate is generally used, but it works well with Resi as well.

** update **

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice...

For those interested

I did reduce the rent to $440, had another open and again not even 1 enquiry!
In the meantime the new development next door had just listed a 1 bed for $420 so I think given the competition I was expecting too much @ $440

So, I decided to be a little aggressive and reduced the price to $395 (to hopefully also attract those interested in the 1 bedder next door).
My apartment was opened the following Saturday where we received 2 applications on the spot. I approved one of the applicants on the Monday and they moved in on Wednesday.

The difference from $440 to $395 is around $2k per annum, however in the end the apartment was only vacant for 2 days.

Also, the 2 bedder next door have now reduced their rent from $650 to $600 so I think we were all asking too much.

I probably could have held out for $410 given the prices next door but I was happy not to have any period of vacancy.

This is the first IP I've leased out so I know what to do and what not to do next time!! Thanks again for your input.

JNI :)

** update **

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice...

For those interested

I did reduce the rent to $440, had another open and again not even 1 enquiry!
In the meantime the new development next door had just listed a 1 bed for $420 so I think given the competition I was expecting too much @ $440

So, I decided to be a little aggressive and reduced the price to $395 (to hopefully also attract those interested in the 1 bedder next door).
My apartment was opened the following Saturday where we received 2 applications on the spot. I approved one of the applicants on the Monday and they moved in on Wednesday.

The difference from $440 to $395 is around $2k per annum, however in the end the apartment was only vacant for 2 days.

Also, the 2 bedder next door have now reduced their rent from $650 to $600 so I think we were all asking too much.

I probably could have held out for $410 given the prices next door but I was happy not to have any period of vacancy.

This is the first IP I've leased out so I know what to do and what not to do next time!! Thanks again for your input.

JNI :)
Well done, if you aren't planning on selling with that rent/tenant in place then I think this is a good idea for the moment, increase rent to keep in line with market when you get the opportunity. Better to have a tenant in there paying rent than hanging out for higher weekly rent at the cost of extra weeks of vacancy.

Back