Would astute property investors still consider Sydney (lower end)

Hi All

Was just going through the attached from John Edward's Residex report and am wondering given that both the Sydney house (7.9%) and unit (6.84%)market have had the lowest p.a. growth, does investing in the lower end of Sydney still merit consideration ?

All other capital cities (even regional areas) show a greater return as compared to Sydney.

I know our IP in Sydney has shown negative growth over the last 5 years and would be happy to hear from other investors who've enjoyed greater success in the Sydney market.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Property Jan 08.xls
    20.5 KB · Views: 96
Was just going through the attached from John Edward's Residex report and am wondering given that both the Sydney house (7.9%) and unit (6.84%)market have had the lowest p.a. growth, does investing in the lower end of Sydney still merit consideration ?

Of course! There are many different reasons why someone would want to buy into the Sydney market. The most compelling to me is that it has been in a slump for some time, which means that ultimately there is growth to come, unlike some of the other States that are growing presently. I know that if I buy in Sydney I am going to get 100% of the CG, whereas if I buy in, say, Brisbane, I could miss out on growth by buying late into the market. Also, not having a Crystal Ball, there is a possibility of buying into an overheated market & paying too much. ATM it is a buyers market in Sydney as there are fewer purchasers.

I'm keen on buying in Sydney, however I'm not in a huge rush... I'll probably start looking toward the end of this year.

And, like my strategy in general, I will be buying as much and as often as I can afford to.

Edit: Sorry I re-read your post and I take it all back; I don't like investing in the 'lower-end' in any city. I'd stick to good suburbs within a 10km radius of the CBD, regardless of the property type or size.

Recent article in Fin Review had estimated growth in house prices in Sydney in 2008 of 12% and unit prices of 13%. The source of the figures was Investor Edge (whoever they are) with the comment that Sydney house and unit prices were "fairly cheap on an historical basis".

Back