Would I be rude to sniff the floor?

I would be almost sure that the cut in the screen door is how the cat gets in and out for it's toilet. Cats are very clean creatures and hate not having either a litter box or access to outside. They would never wee where they sleep, eat or sit.

A cut flyscreen is easily replaced.

I think you're being silly, if one must crawl onto the ground and sniff the floorboards in order to find something offensive then you are looking too hard!

How do you know they have a cat? After all this fussing they might not even have one, the damage you assume is caused by their cat might have been caused by a hundred different things.

If they are otherwise good tenants then (if they have a long lease 1 year +) then why not allow them to install a kitty door?

Years ago when I was renting I had an 'illegal' cat - and my naughty girl walked right up to the agent in the middle of the inspection for a pat!

My husband and I nearly died, but she was cool and gave the cat a pat and said nothing.

You don't forget things like this.

Mmm, old thread ...

I have the toddler toilet trained enough that I haven't had to clean up any floor accidents for weeks. At least people wee doesn't smell like cat wee.

My tenants have too many cats. They cleaned for the inspection and it smelt fine, 2 weeks later when we went back to fix some maintainence requests it was very catty, drifts of hair and stuff. The house is tiled everywhere they have cats (the house is big and they aren't using half of the house) but they had one in the bathroom in a cage with a litter tray that was very on the nose ... and did I mention the drifts of animal hair? At least the carpeted rooms are fine.

How do people live like that?

Yes the place would sink like ammonia.
1. Having any animal at a property is not illegal in Victoria - the residential tenancies act will confirm this. Unless there is something in the body corporate rules.
2. Sniff the floor while she is there - theres nothing wrong with checking that your property is being cared for. If you get caught you'll feel even sillier.
3. Make it known that you know the cat is there, and that you would have liked to have been informed.

Dear owner,
as a former PM, I must warn you about the life cycle of the flea, it takes 2 weeks for their eggs to hatch after the cat has moved on. I was sent to an empty premises as a sweet young thing (and returned to the office only after spaying myself with mortein.....)
Please get a fumigation clause stuck on to their new lease,.
After Kitty owner has moved on, I am sure you don't want your new tenants complaining about an infestation.
Good Luck!

Back