Would i live in my IP'S?

Hi All,

I am having trouble getting over this hurdle.

My problem is this, i have a couple of nice IPs which i would be more than happy to live in. I am looking to buy into country Victoria, Units maybe and want to spend around the $100 - $125k mark. But the problem is that i wouldn't live in "dumps" like these, so how could expect one of my tennats to, so i don't buy.

Help !

GG

GG,

YOU are not your tenants.

Your tenants have different needs & wants. Otherwise they'd own their house & be renting out IPs themselves.

You are creating a product for a market. You don't have to be the market.

You simply have to think differently & more flexibly :)

OR - only buy property you would live in. This approach works too - but you are likely to spend more & get a lower rental return right now.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Gordon

Moral dilemmas help us to identify our values.

However, don't make the mistake of assuming everyone else's values are the same as yours.

That includes aesthetic values.

In every area, there will be an expectation regarding age grouping of properties and rental costs.

Country regions often have fairly high proportions of old dwellings. The gold rush, the wheat / sheep belt, the rail lines, all took populations into areas at different times in our history.

In the 1950s, many Housing Commission houses were built not just around Melbourne and Geelong, but also in the regionals.

Itinerant farm workers need houses to live in, as do school teachers, bank managers, and lots of people who follow the work throughout the year.

Houses may be old and shabby. This does not, of itself, make them 'dumps'.

One thing I have noticed in regional Victoria, but also in Ringwood, is that internal lining boards were frequently of narrow sheets, requiring joining strapping. If this is in a house including the ceiling plaster, it can certainly make a house look old, cheap, and very dated.

But this does not mean the house is unsound, or would be hard to rent. Many people have lived in houses such as these all their lives and simply don't notice the cement sheet construction, the lavatory off the back porch, and the concrete laundry troughs.

It is important not to be a property snob, but to see the true value of various styles of property.

For example, have you ever been in an unrenovated terrace house in, say, Carlton or Brunswick? Some of these would make your toes curl! Many still have the WC adjoining the back fence, with not even electric light installed in the loo. (Believe me, I worked in Victoria Street and the trip to the loo, when raining, was a daily adventure)

Gordon, if you buy a house 'typical' of an area and of an era, then give it a good wash inside and out including the curtains, carpets and light shades, you will be presenting a house 'one up' on the surrounding rental stock.

Be realistic. Only Jakk is a Slum Lord!

Go forward!

Kristine

And just for the record - yes, I would work / live in any of my investment properties, and have done so. But equally I would be happy living in a tent (well, maybe) and some of the places I have lived in when renting left a lot to be desired. In Cootamundra, for example, when Mike was working on the Young to Wagga Wagga gas pipeline, the steel framed brick units on the Road to Gundagai produced so much static electricty that the radio fiercely crackled and so did I whenever I touched anything (including Mike). However, people had lived in these units for years at a stretch and seemed no madder than the rest of the population, so perhaps electricity, like just about anything else, will affect different people in different ways.

I still don't rent *anything* I wouldn't be happy to live in.
But thats just me and it works for me.
I have very low vacancy rates,,, though I'm sure I had somewhere vacant..... once...

ab

Originally posted by Kristine..
, the lavatory off the back porch, and the concrete laundry troughs.

Be realistic. Only Jakk is a Slum Lord!

Cmon Kristine, my wife loves those concrete laundry troughs, every one I want to throw out she says no...tenants don't seem to complain although I throw in a modern counterpart alongside.

I think jakk is far from a slum lord despite his sig.

ab

Dear GG,

Another way of looking at it is what is going to happen to the IP's if you DON'T buy it?

Business is business and you are providing a service for the community. If you are not comfortable with the standard of the IP then UPGRADE IT! It does not have to be everything overnight. My policy is that I do some good upgrades initially on a property (safety first) and then every twelves months I do more upgrades at the same time together with the appropriate rent increase.

This way you can change an area and provide a better standard of housing.

I still can't see why ANYONE would have an IP with a shower curtain. I consider them to be lazy landlords when I can go out and buy a shower screen from Regency for $208 inc installed.

So think not would I live in this IP, think what you can do for this IP!

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back