Would it be of interest

If I posted photos of my granny flat build from whoa to go, I am signing the contract next week, it is currently a nice garden area so I am excited to see how it changes! If I do, could someone tell me how a techno trog with a dumb phone but armed with a mini, posts photos? Ps I do have a kid to help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Moridig - would love to see your progress with the granny flat.

Can't help with the tech stuff sorry - kids do come in useful in this area though :)

If I posted photos of my granny flat build from whoa to go, I am signing the contract next week, it is currently a nice garden area so I am excited to see how it changes! If I do, could someone tell me how a techno trog with a dumb phone but armed with a mini, posts photos? Ps I do have a kid to help. Thanks in advance.

You'll need the kids :D

Upload a photo to the gallery from your PC and use the links there to paste into your thread

Showing gallery photos in forum posts

How do I upload pictures?

Or you could upload photo's to a site like Snapfish etc and then use the link there to post here

Test

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Verdana;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs26 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \uc0\u8234
picture.php
\uc0\u8236 }

Bit of an update, City of Swan sent myself and the builder, an invoice for almost 5k for a drainage levy, before they will issue the licence. When I picked myself up from the floor the builders admitted they had not received any such bill for a granny flat built nearby (1 kilometre) in the same zoning as mine and subject to the same boundaries as the C of S say require the fee. Not sure what is happening now, builder say they are still arguing with C of S, I might add same builder built PPOR on block in 2007/8 and admits had already paid a virtually identical amount in plumbing as to the levy required, however they have it billed just as "works". I am not sure what to do. C of S have already demanded changes to the plan which the builders claim was all but signed off to comply with heritage requirements and I have agreed to pay for them, the GF is gonna cost more than the nearly new house, in order to comply :mad:

I find it amazing the problems that people have with councils everywhere in Australia, surely they could have a state or national code so that everyone knows what the rules are.

Imagine the building boom that would follow if people knew what the actual rules were and could design to comply and get approval within 6 weeks.

Just an update, I have lodged an appeal with the SAT and it should be heard within a few weeks, I think the builder was keen for me to pay and appeal later but I figured it was easier to not pay rather than try to get reimbursed. There is a fee of almost $400 for the appeal but I still think it is worth a try. I was just about ready to pay when I called the planning person involved, he admitted the other property had not been billed because the planning officer assigned to them "was too slack", he also admitted they had contravened their own regs in relation to soak wells. I was so furious I lodged the appeal documents, I also went to see the other granny flat owners, having learned not to rely on anything the builders tell me, they confirmed they did not pay. On the upside, they are getting much more rent than I imagined it would fetch!

No, I'm not sure. My argument is that the City have not applied regs in fair or consistent fashion, have contravened their own policy, and are double dipping in that they have already applied drainage levies to ratepayers via rates, in addition to existing charges.

No, I'm not sure. My argument is that the City have not applied regs in fair or consistent fashion, have contravened their own policy, and are double dipping in that they have already applied drainage levies to ratepayers via rates, in addition to existing charges.

How have they contravened their own policy exactly?

I have to admit, none of what you've raised immediately strikes me as a good case for a planning appeal.

Their policy says "a drainage contribution fee shall be collected from all new subdivisions, developments and/or extensions to existing developments within the area indicated on the plans etc etc" further on "the requirement for the fee shall be included as a condition of subdivision or development and paid prior to the issue of a building licence or development approval if no building licence is required, or prior to clearance of subdivision conditions."

Right of review under Part 14 Planning and Development Act 2005.

Both properties within the designated area, building identically sized buildings with the same builder, fee applied to one not the other?

How do you mean both Myf? Do you mean I have to pay the levy as the SAT refuses the application AND the application fee? I guess that is a risk I am prepared to take, I've gone too far to back out for 5 grand or even 5,400! I just think how is it fair that they apply it arbitrarily, the planning guy virtually said if I had been assigned his slack colleague I wouldn't have been charged either. When I repeated our conversation per email and cc"ed in his supervisor he back-pedalled over the terms he used to describe her and the supervisor never even replied.

Could I take this opportunity to say a big thanks to Westminster. The builder contacted me Tuesday to say the combined bathroom/laundry arrangement with one sink was no longer compliant as regs changed in November. He proposed a vanity next to a sink and said they would cover the cost. He applied a bit of pressure for me to sign it off and get it back to him. I declined and pm'ed Westminster who told me the regs hadn't changed and to ask them for a copy which I did. They sent me a clause, I asked for the date of change and more details, within five minutes builder on the phone telling me he had been "misled" regs not changed at all, always been like that, in other words, their cluster from the beginning. Thank you Westminster.

Back