Would you buy a property whose backyard neighbour is a cemetery? Is it a good buy?

Why can't people who live opposite cemetries be buried there

Q: Why can't people who live opposite cemetries be buried there?

A: They're still alive!

Sorry...:eek:

Maybe you should ask whether you can spend a night there and see whether it spooks you out!

Don't teenagers like to hang out drinking in cemeteries - or was that just me in my mis-spent youth! Nah just joking I wouldn't be seen dead there and definetly wouldn't live in the house!

Glam888

The other day I was looking at a house in Liverpool (SW Sydney)
and in the add they did not mention a cemetery but when I went to street view and looked at the surrounds I was surprised.....:)

click on the photo, click on the street view tab and then rotate the picture

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007510791#

I'm thinking of making an offer of 25% less than the asking price

My grandfather is buried there, im pretty sure he wouldnt bother anyone :p

Reminds me of the time I took my ageing father in law to view an independent unit at a retirement village. It was directly opposite the cemetry with the headstones fully in view. He was not impressed and asked if we were trying to save transportation costs for his next move!

if you want me to live there, you have to pay me to live in your house instead!
i never go near cemetery !!!

thanks for the free rent ! but i cant take it! unless you pay me to live in it!
serious !

Some points that everyone has overlooked in their attempt at the best gag.

1/ Is the cemetery still an operating one ie. will your tenants have to endure the sounds of grieving family members while they attempt to entertain in the backyard??

2/ Is there a possibility that the land will be developed down the track.

These would be the first things I would consider.
Interestingly, a few years ago, the land on the top of East Perth hill that had been a cemetery about 100 years ago, still with heritage listed gravestones and all, was sold and developed into a multi unit site, complete with headstones still present in the entrance and gateways to the properties. Some properties have them in the front yard.?

It created a bit of conversation at the time, but as it was during the peak of the WA boom, it was just another example of some crafty bugger getting approval through for what is a sensational spot for a development, graves or not.
The question beqs, how would you go selling one of those now.

I reckon that view might take on a slightly different look considering you couldnt brag about your CG while enjoying a snag with friends.

There is some great property in Melbourne that either backs up to, or faces cemeteries. Dosnt seem to have effected the prices there.
Personally, after the neighbour ive had recently, gimme those quiet ones anytime.
Pango.

.. you couldnt brag about your CG while enjoying a snag with friends.

Unabridged real estate Dictionary

CG:- Cemetary Gains
Expected this to be a dead thread​
Golf Course:: People pay extra for the view over golf courses, acres of manicured landscaping, that they likewise cannot currently use,
risk of being stuck by golfers,
Cemetary:: there is the view, with way less risk of one of the neighbours balls flyng through the bedroom window on a Saturday morning

Last edited:
What did you end up thinking about the property Glam? Found this an interesting proposition (made me think about other potentially 'unpopular' sites e.g. mental institution, prison etc...which tenants may not find attractive).

Being a Sydney girl, if there was property for sale around the cemetary that runs from around Clovelly along the coast to Waverley, I'd definitely be buying, plot views or not....Sydney people you know the views / location I'm thinking of!

With regards to this thread, no, I wouldn't be the slightest bit bothered about living next to a cemetery. But I recognise that lots of people would be.

In Cairo, people have been squatting in the cemetery for centuries. They live in old Mausoleums, and have also built houses over the top of the graves. They're respectful, though - inside the houses, there are gravestones poking up in the middle of rooms! People place their furniture and walk around the gravestones... :) Unfortunately I couldn't find a photo of this.

Hasn’t there been some concerns about pollution to ground waters from decomposing bodies and chemicals near cemeteries?

Just thought I’d heard something…….might have been my imagination though. :eek:

Living next to a cemetery is not an issue for me.
I see it as backing on to a park no complaining neighbours,
lots of greenery etc.

if the cemetery is still in production so to speak it won't be built up
any time soon.

now where this house is located is it near a full side of the cemetery so
no new graves going in??? otherwise your tenants could be faced with
funerals during the day and they may not like it your tenants decide to have a
party with some loud music. But that won't be your issue.

I bought a house facing the biggest cemetery in Southern Hemisphere. So far no issues with ghosts. Hoping to befriend one over barbie and beer. Would make my life so easy :)

Seriously, it all depends on the numbers. Estimate a cemetery factor by looking at sales of other properties near the cemetery. If you can get the property at a price less than what the price should be price - cemetery factor, go for it.

When the market is down buying a house near a cemetery can be a wise move as you can get it at a good discount especially when the market is already down. A thing to remember si that when it comes to selling you would be restricted to sell when the suburb is booming.

Cheers.

Back