Would you buy weather board houses?

the older hardies has paper stickers on the back stating 10% asbestos, in the boards , so be carfull, :cool:

Yeah that must be the one - 10% is what I was told at the time.

If it's too costly to remove I'll just keep it as is, or sell it 20yrs from now to the next bloke. ;)

Are there any other ways to spot asbestos, especially when it's not clear when the house was built?

The builders can correct me if I'm wrong, but with the roof sheets and boards at the eves - you can tell if it's asbestos because it's speckled white through the board as opposed to just plain grey. Similar story with roof as well (ie. the ones that look like a million birds have crapped on it over the years :D)?

Is this correct?

I've bought weatherboard & brick - it's not the house that matters to me, it's the land location and the size that matters.

I don't really care about asbestos either, since it's a relatively small cost to get it removed compared to what the land is worth, well in the few cases i've seen anyway.

Much easier to move timber homes vs brick :D

Seriously, though, I have brick, fibro and weatherboard properties across the board and haven't found the maintenance issues necessarily higher with the timber homes. However, I must say that I'm not looking forward to the exterior painting quote in another 5 yrs or so on a couple of them!

Check out this gorgeous renovated one in Castle Hill, for example. Not many of them around in this suburb (dying breed) but they come up beautifully when maintained well and loved!

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=15482104&s=nsw&snf=rbs&tm=1254927229

Cheaper to fix...

So much cheaper to fix things in weather board homes.... as a buy and rent out person I like them, if buying to reno and resell might have different opinion.

Back