Would you move out of the city?

How did you get your way into it? I have had a look around and it seems like everyone is looking for people with experience. Did you drive machinery or did you have another role?

Would love some more info, cheers mate.

I worked as a lab technician and did security on my weekends off... I was already working for the company in Newcastle and went up there for 3 weeks to help out while they opened a new lab. Got offered a full time job and accepted it.

As far as Mount Isa goes, there is always work there to be had.. Most of it is a who you know than what you know like most things in life, but even more so in a small town I think.

I applied at the mines for a **** kicker position, got offered a start off salary of $67k a year and it's fairly easy to increase your pay quickly from what I'm told.

Hi everyone,

Was just talking to my partner and we were discussing how in the future we would like a scenery change, move out of Sydney and to somewhere more relaxed and not so busy.

Also, with the roads (M5, M2, M4) getting so bad with traffic it makes getting to and from jobs for work ridiculously long, especially since most of our work in Inner/North Sydney! People tell me over and over, "but you make great money in the city"....So I am thinking after my apprenticeship finishes next year (and hopefully another course I'm going to start soon), I'm going to start looking for a place to rent & work up the coast towards QLD.

just get another bluddy job!!!!

what is it with the mentality of being close to work?

being job concentric would really stress me out, i think.

There are many "near big city" locations which have already been well-recognised as affordable commuter or lifestyle locations, such as the Central Coast, Newcastle, lower Sunshine Coast, Tweed Coast, Redcliffe, Mornington Peninsula, etc. But some, for various reasons, have not yet attracted commuters - or those who live in the fringe but like to be "near" the city even if they only go there twice a year :D - and will do well in coming years.

In particular, because of coming infrastructure or because I feel they're undervalued, I like the future prospects for Geelong and the Bellarine Peninsula, Ballarat, Wollongong, and the Ripley Valley (south of Ipswich - may even be a lifestyle location, not just affordable, if they get the socio-economics of the development right, the landscape is beautiful).

In the much longer term, I can't help but notice there are vast tracts of land in Truganina area (western Melbourne) which stand out like the proverbial dogs' ****s on a map as ripe for development. Does anybody know who owns it? Are there geographical or political obstacles to its development? (I confess I have no idea what the quality of the land is like - perhaps it's all swamp?)

I think some people are just born city people and some are just born country people. When I was 12 my family were ready to up and leave Melbourne and head to somewhere past Beechworth in the middle of whoop whoop (to me). I cried and cried over it, thank goodness it was during the 80's, and they had signed up to buy a house subject to them selling their house which didn't sell. PHEW! I was the only member of the family who didn't want to go, and even today my entire family love the country and all still want to move there one day.

I myself however, can't see myself ever leaving Melbourne. In fact I have moved inwards towards it (from outer eastern suburbs to the inner south). I must admit, being near the beach plays a big part in that, and I could never live in the city city amongst building after building, with cars and trams and pollution etc. I'm about 5km from the CBD but have the beach and plenty of parks around me. I wouldn't mind a country holiday house though as I do like the country and love the country drives. I just couldn't do it day after day after day. :)

Everyone is definitly going to be different. My mate lives in Newtown and absolutely loves it, can't get enough of being there. Myself, I don't like the place. I'm happy to go have a meal in there but find myself hating the city by the time I've sat down for a meal.

Visited bathurst not long ago and it was gorgeous. The drive and the scenery was unreal and could picture myself living somewhere similar.

I would get another job but being an apprentice, I am on wages I can't turn down at the moment and the fact I get a company vechile aswell. We have 2 years to figure it all out anyway, I'll get a course or two completed aswell and hopefully our 'scenery change' will be for the better!

Tell me about it. Trying to find a carspot in something larger then a hatchback is ridiculous, let alone driving through the place...

I must admit, if I had to drive in city traffic every day it would maybe make me think differently. Thankfully my main road to work is Beaconsfield Parade / Beach Road and I'm opposite the traffic so it's wonderful, but the odd occassion when I've had to drive inland in peak hour... :mad:

this is a good point.

a lot of people come to newcastle and realise it's a real hidden secret. big enough to have everything that sydney has, but without the masses of people.

as someone said to me yesterday - you can go to the beach and actually get a park! the shopping is good, the restaurants are varied and first rate, we get most of the entertainment (plays, shows etc), there is good employment and health care, we have the beaches, lake, vineyards and mountains all within a short distance - and if there is really really something in sydney you want to go to, it's only a two hour train or drive away.

Yes Newcastle and surrounding districts like Port Stephens has everything I need. I would prefer being in Sydney sometimes as I like a few things the big cities offer but I just can't stand the traffic in Sydney and the unfriendly atmosphere. I'm a little surprised so many people with money still live there anymore. Even if you own a multi million dollar mansion by the water you still have to drive through all of the horrible traffic to go anywhere.

I would much rather live near a smaller city like Newcastle, it has a great climate, even better than Sydney and not cold like Melbourne or too hot like Queensland. You don't get the traffic problems of Sydney but you still get some nice beaches. You still have plenty of shopping malls etc. Also the people are much friendlier than Sydney, people say hello when walking past but in Sydney people look down at their feet or stare into space most of the time.

Also the air is much cleaner, I notice I can see the stars at night easier in a clearer air. The climate is good too, nice green grass and gardens from consistent rain and sun. Also there is a lot less foreigners, in Sydney most towns are 90% inhabited by one country, in Newcastle there is a nice mix of Aussies and a few foreigners. Food is also a lot better for the price, you can travel out into the Hunter and buy organic wine, fruits and dairy products that would cost a fortune in Sydney. You can buy a 5 hectare property here with everything you need and it would cost you about the price of an average home in Sydney with the land size of a b-b-q area.

I have no doubt when people wake up that Sydney is a joke then Newcastle and Port Stephens will be where everyone will want to live.

That's a bit like us in Geelong (perhaps without the entertainment) - a hidden jewel, and < 1hr from Melbourne if we really need to go there.

Hahaha, I dunno about that, mate! I grew up in Geelong and couldn't wait to get the hell out. Moved to Melbourne for a bit, now up in Brisbane. It's perfect. Not too big, fairly relaxed, bit humid though.

Plans are to leave the country for good in a couple of years and live a simple life in SE Asia or South America on Aussie dollars. I feel for all these people trying to build an unwieldy investment portfolio so they can have the huge house way too big for their needs and fancy cars that lose half their value soon as you drive them off the lot and all the other junk that goes with it.

Not trying to critisise - if that's what people want, good luck to them. I wish them all the best. But I'd rather buy my freedom back - I don't need 'stuff'. Time is the only thing, once lost, that can never ever be replaced.

“If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches, but take away his desires” – Epicurus

...Plans are to leave the country for good in a couple of years and live a simple life in SE Asia or South America on Aussie dollars. I feel for all these people trying to build an unwieldy investment portfolio so they can have the huge house way too big for their needs and fancy cars that lose half their value soon as you drive them off the lot and all the other junk that goes with it.

Not trying to critisise - if that's what people want, good luck to them. I wish them all the best. But I'd rather buy my freedom back - I don't need 'stuff'. Time is the only thing, once lost, that can never ever be replaced.

“If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches, but take away his desires” – Epicurus

Yes you are right on there. So many people are waiting for a few years to have what they want. I'm heading over to Asia in a few weeks to live on a much lower cost of living, simply but with all I need. That is good food (mainly fresh seafood and tropical fruits), the beach, friendly people, beautiful sunsets, and my gorgeous girlfriend will be with me and that is all I need. Everything I need I can take as carry on luggages. I will have some art materials, my camera and laptop for work. I will pick up an old accoustic guitar when get there as well. We will just relax and enjoy a creative and cheap lifestyle while saving my money for more properties in Aussie. I think We can live on about $100 AU a week (including rent & food) quite comfortably there. :)

We love australia too much to move out of this country. One good thing is that we both don't want to have a massive house and waterfront views, we would be happy to live in a small cottage with a little bit of land.

If we ran a successful internet business or something that is a work from home type affair, we'ld move to woop woop tomorrow!

I couldn't stand a big house - smaller house = less cleaning! (we do need a huge shed though for our business equipment) Would love a nice private small house/cottage somewhere semi rural or small town (given our sports high priority for us is good cycle/mtb/triathlon clubs - we've found a few small towns that are great for these). Would love to live overseas again for a bit but with kids planned, definitely not ideal for a few years.

Yes Newcastle and surrounding districts like Port Stephens has everything I need. I would prefer being in Sydney sometimes as I like a few things the big cities offer but I just can't stand the traffic in Sydney and the unfriendly atmosphere. I'm a little surprised so many people with money still live there anymore. Even if you own a multi million dollar mansion by the water you still have to drive through all of the horrible traffic to go anywhere.

I would much rather live near a smaller city like Newcastle, it has a great climate, even better than Sydney and not cold like Melbourne or too hot like Queensland. You don't get the traffic problems of Sydney but you still get some nice beaches. You still have plenty of shopping malls etc. Also the people are much friendlier than Sydney, people say hello when walking past but in Sydney people look down at their feet or stare into space most of the time.

Also the air is much cleaner, I notice I can see the stars at night easier in a clearer air. The climate is good too, nice green grass and gardens from consistent rain and sun. Also there is a lot less foreigners, in Sydney most towns are 90% inhabited by one country, in Newcastle there is a nice mix of Aussies and a few foreigners. Food is also a lot better for the price, you can travel out into the Hunter and buy organic wine, fruits and dairy products that would cost a fortune in Sydney. You can buy a 5 hectare property here with everything you need and it would cost you about the price of an average home in Sydney with the land size of a b-b-q area.

I have no doubt when people wake up that Sydney is a joke then Newcastle and Port Stephens will be where everyone will want to live.

I very much concur. Newcastle is also super convenient to Sydney, you are only on the actual freeway itself for about an hour and you hit the edge of Sydney from Wallsend. So easy to whiz up there for occasional weekends or special events etc. Newcastle people are definitely friendlier and Sydney's prices are totally prohibitive. Also agree about the immigrant factor. Immigrants don't really know about or understand Newcastle, so it's really predominantly an Aussie area. This just really means less tension and problems from cultures clashing etc. The climate in Newcastle is also fantastic and yes the gardens and grass are absolutely lovely (so much nicer than bloody dry/dusty old/cold Canberra!!!).

I can only see Newcastle picking up more and more in the coming 5-10 years.

Hahaha, I dunno about that, mate! I grew up in Geelong and couldn't wait to get the hell out. Moved to Melbourne for a bit, now up in Brisbane. It's perfect. Not too big, fairly relaxed, bit humid though.

Plans are to leave the country for good in a couple of years and live a simple life in SE Asia or South America on Aussie dollars. I feel for all these people trying to build an unwieldy investment portfolio so they can have the huge house way too big for their needs and fancy cars that lose half their value soon as you drive them off the lot and all the other junk that goes with it.

Agree and I am currently doing a similar thing living off AUD but in Japan for 1.5 years! :p Absolutely loving it, have broadened and stimulated my mind unbelievably and learnt so much. The people are amazing. Have travelled the country and just work (consulting) 2 days per week and the rest is my time!

Coming back around xmas time though, it's been a blast and I will have memories of this forever. Looking to move back to Newcastle and definitely purchase another property. Life is exciting and can't wait in many ways although I am still in love with Japan and enjoy every single day here peacefully walking down the street or walking around and indulging in all the awesome array of food!

Monsoon: Also sounds like we have a bit in common with Newcastle, Asia and living/working overseas via the internet :) My plan is to:
- By the next place in Newcastle, renovate and perhaps live in it for a while.
- Build up my next business which I am already working on while here in Japan. (It launches when we get back).
-Go hard at that for 3-5 years to get it really thriving.
- Then who knows, after lots of hard work I would totally be up for another random live overseas year again sometime down the track - even with kids..

Totally awesome!

If I was a single man I'd probably checkout Asia . To me there's no value in Oz now. It's ridiculously expensive in cost of living & property and it's not lay back & easy going anymore .
But we left Melbourne , I think around 14-15 yrs ago , lived all over the country for yrs and there are some great spots here none the less. Smaller , easier , hotter , colder , take your pick really .
We had problems with the heat up Nth and came sth again eventually . Now we're on the Vic west coast. It's nice , bit nippy .Love fires in winter though and DV w/ends when the weathers just too bad to do anything else , watch the ocean go of it's nut , does it go off in bad weather - spectacular !
I'm still a city boy at heart though so there's been a lot of small town stuff even after all these yrs I still struggle with but it is a much easier & lay back life in most ways. Pays terrible, foods dear.

We have no idea of the business & stresses of Melbourne now though and when I visit these days I'm bloody looking forward to getting the hell out of there again let me tell you.
Where I am though is on the other hand pretty small for me and I'd probably get back to something somewhere in between like Newcastle or Cairns- the heat though. We have kids and they've settled in to school & friends now & we're sick of moves.
But if people at home could see me on their typical mad w/d morning down there & just the hecticness of it all that you tend to get trapped in, they'd be jealous.
I do miss city variety though, foods, people, places to go, city minds but , one thing we found out in 10 yrs of travel , you never get it all so !

Cheers

All these people talking of little cottages on a bit of land ... anyone wanna buy my cottage on (not much land - 610sqm, very small block) in a small town :D Prolly around the $180-190k mark, would rent for $200-230pw. I still don't have a title for the bloody thing and haven't fixed the bathroom yet (we accidentally smashed the sink a little while ago and only just picked up a replacement sink) so I'm not that serious right now, but it will be on the market with an agent in about 3-4 months. I suspect at that price and being a nice house in a nice town that is rapidly expanding it should sell fairly fast.

Its very hard to sell country properties that aren't in booming towns. I've had my other house - a reasonably large one on 1800sqm in a very small town - for sale for over a year. The most interest comes from 'interesting' people. The couple who don't own a house at all but are travelling Australia in a truck and need somewhere to park it and unwind every now and again (but don't like the house having tenants), a builder from Adelaide who is semi-retired and wants to be not-too-far from Adelaide (but has to sell his Adelaide house first to pay cash), the odd grey nomad wanting to be near the Flinders but not too far from the city, and the most unusual - a young family who just want to get away from it all (who need finance and might get stuck on the postcode issue).

And then I think many city people have no idea how small town small mindedness, politics, and frictions can arise. Say the wrong thing to someone, and soon you're shunned by half the town. Someone doesn't like the look of you, and same.

Small towns = small minded people...so true.

We've done the country life for 18 months and are counting down the last 6 months before getting back to the city for work :D

Back