would you not buy a place because of this?

The low offer I made has been accepted.
Just went along to the building inspection and despite being neglected and built of ugly concrete bricks, the house has fairly solid foundations without many cracks.
There seem to be 4 main areas of concern.
1/ Pest inspection is tomorrow but it looks like no termites inside. They are in the fence outside, however. Mind you, in the country, termites have usually left their mark nearly everywhere. I know most people would run a mile at the thought of termites.
2/ Rising Damp between the old bathroom and laundry. Rising damp is par for the course in an older property in these parts so it's not like I'll get a property without it for the same price.
3/ Rain water downhill onto the backyard and there's only lawn to keep it from reaching the house. I would be thinking of (self)landscaping with drains etc.
4/ The bricks are concrete which is ok - maybe I can render. But the surface is very uneven - designed that way with big dents and deep thick swirls (ugly). It's painted - I know I can use bondcrete or some other primer. But will I be able to render with all the uneven texture?
Anyone think it's still worth a shot??? :confused:

1/ Pest inspection is tomorrow but it looks like no termites inside. They are in the fence outside, however. Mind you, in the country, termites have usually left their mark nearly everywhere. I know most people would run a mile at the thought of termites.
My experience with termites, of course your mileage may vary. I bought a place with active termites around the yard but not in the house proper. I had them treated and also removed the dilapidated structures that were termite affected. This place was brick with wooden pergolas and wooden beams. I even brought in mulch that ended up being infested with termites. I didn't have another treatment done but they didn't migrate into the pergolas or house. No issues really. The main thing was to get rid of any of the junk around the yard that was affected by termites. In the case of a fence, a treatment would be warranted with a follow up treatment as recommended by your pest control contractor.

1 - termites outside pretty common, if property is in good shape should stay that way
2 - your response answers this
3 - would want to get onto this asap, drainage important. but obviously property has managed for a fair while without it
4 - speak with somoen in the know, I'm sure there is a way to cover it up

you would of taken into account 2 & 4 when you put the offer in. 1 sounds like it's not big concern to you and 3 sounds like you can sort it.

Back