Would you pay back the tenant...?

Tenant has moved out 1 month before the lease expire, but he has paid the rent until the expired date.

PM has advertised with increased rent, and IF he is able to find a new tenant to move in well before the old lease expired date, do you think the old tenant should be able to get some rent...?

PS: the old tenant didn't ask for anything, he just paid in advance, sent the notified letter and move out...:)

Super.

I think if you are able to rerent before the old lease expires and that the let fee has been paid to the agent by the old tenant and that the house is left clean tidy and the agent is prepared to give the bond back, then why not....:)

Tenant has moved out 1 month before the lease expire, but he has paid the rent until the expired date.

PM has advertised with increased rent, and IF he is able to find a new tenant to move in well before the old lease expired date, do you think the old tenant should be able to get some rent...?

PS: the old tenant didn't ask for anything, he just paid in advance, sent the notified letter and move out...:)

Super.
If you lease the property out to a new tenant and they start paying rent Before your previous tenants payments have expired then you legally have to pay back your previous tenant (In VIC). You can't collect two rents on one property according to the Act so if your new tenants signs up within the month and moves in (which you would certainly hope happens) then yes, you will have to pay back the rent which is over paid. As far as paying back rent out of the goodness of your heart? Well he did sign a contract to pay rent for that period so you are entitled to the rent, I guess it depends on just how good the tenant has been!

Good opportunity to get in and do any maintenance that's required ;)

But yes pay back the tenant if you get someone in before the end of the period they paid too.

Super.

i think i would have a moral obligation to return the extra rent less break fees. your morals may be different and that is fine.

The tenants has an obligation under the tenancy agreement to make payment until the expiry date, so if the tenant has decided to move out sooner thats not your problem and you do not HAVE to reund anything. However if you find someone to move in during that one month and wanted to be a nice landlord then its something you can consider.

Legalities aside I think refunding would be the right thing to do. I assume the renting process is actually easier for you with a vacant house... plus the house is being paid for during the re-rental period.

Back