Would you render or would you paint?

Help!

Hi guys,

I just dug up this old thread and thought I'd use it rather than starting my own. I'm looking at a dark brick house that I intend to render or 'bag.' I think I understand the difference between the two but still have a few questions, and I hope you can help.

We built with a project builder a few years back (McDonald Jones) and opted for a bagged finish. I loved it and think it came up a treat. When the brickwork was done (before bagging) the mortar came up pretty well flush with the edge of the brick so once it was bagged the brick lines were obviously visible but kinda smoothish - get it??

The house I'm looking at has the more traditional brickwork where the mortar does not come to the edge of the brick - it's recessed maybe 8mm??
Is this a problem when bagging? I imagine it might look a little odd??

When I moved into the new bagged house the builders had left some unused bagging product in the garage which looked like paint with lots of grit in it. I used this for touch ups and just painted it on with a brush, or swirled it with a cloth. Is it that easy??

FYI I think the bagged finish looks fantastic on the more 'country' looking facades, as opposed to a rendered finish which looks sleek for the newer look.

Ta,

Allgood.

Back