Would you take us as tenants ?

Hi ,
My partner and I are looking at taking off and driving around Oz (we're Kiwi's). When the $ are low we will probably work, probably in Melbourne as thsi is where the demand for our IT skills appears highest. At this point we would be looking at renting a furnished CBD (or near St Kilda maybe) apartment for a period of 6 months. Is it possible to get a fixed rate lease. We will be probably earning good money so we would be looking for a nice place 1 bed, car park, pool - maybe $400 - $500 pw ? How does it work in Vic- in NZ you can only charge a maximum of 4 weeks total rent in advance and bond - what is it for furnished in Vic ? Does the bond go to an independent authrority like a bond board. We dont have references from previous landlords (we've owned our current place for 8+ years) - what will do instead - our property managers in NZ would give us a character reference , bank statements helpful - trying to work out what sort of paperwork to bring. We would have an OZ bank a/c - but obviously it wont be very impressive until we start earning !

What other costs are involved - do we have to pay a letting fee. Is power likely to be included in the rent in an apartment ? Just trying to get a feel for any issues I can deal to in advance.

There is no reason why you couldn't get something easily. 400-500 p/w will get you something pretty nice in Melbourne. Generally you will need proof of income or money to support yourself and references, previous employer, previous landlord will suffice.

Fees are typically

1 week in advance for rent
4 weeks rent as a bond (This goes to the department of fair trading)
You pay for your own power
Water depends on the state

PS - IT is bigger in Sydney than Melbourne.

The 6 months is the sticking point. I have just been through this one (again) myself.

Most agencies/landlords prefer 12 as they lose at least a week as a letting fee.

Note to landlords. That might be a good selling point to potential tenants - 6 month leases available.

doreilly said:
The 6 months is the sticking point. I have just been through this one (again) myself.

Most agencies/landlords prefer 12 as they lose at least a week as a letting fee.

Note to landlords. That might be a good selling point to potential tenants - 6 month leases available.

Don't know about Melbourne, but in Brisbane / GC 6 month leases are common. Especially now: signing a 6 month lease will take the landlord to summer, when it's easiest to rent out a property (and get rent increases!)

i.e. right now as a landlord I would prefer a 6 month lease, since I'd have a better chance of getting rent increase in January then next June.
Alex

doreilly said:

Mine are always 6 months. Might be different in Melbourne. But in Sydney and Brisbane 6 months is common, they then go on a week by week basis.

Hi Lissie,

I don't think you'll have a problem renting a furnished place in Melbourne for $400-$500 per week, at all. Most places here that are rented furnished understand that it's short term tenants they're looking for, and there are many places you can rent monthly, 3 months, 6 months, or longer (the rent goes up the shorter you stay) - Serviced apartments are made for that, and there's lots of them here, and in your price range (many include your bills as well). These are all obviously more expensive than a 12 month unfurnished lease, but it looks like you have the funds to cover it. You would likely have to pay a bond - 1 months rent, but I don't think much more than that. We were looking into them last year when I had grown quite tired of living with my fiances family in a country town, but knew I was going on holidays to the USA soon for several months so a long lease wouldn't work well (plus we had no furniture yet :D ) - and there really was a lot available!

And I think you're right on the IT demand in Melbourne, I work for a telecommunications company which is constantly looking for people with great IT skills!

Cheers,
Jen

what IT skills specifically?

And you wont have a problem with all the new serviced apartments going up around town :)

Back