Would you use Tax Pack or buy a new computer for your Tax Return?

I use a laptop with a Korean Windows XP and I am happy with it except when it comes to doing tax returns.

Until this year, I was able to use ETAX to do my tax returns even though I had a slight issue. That is, I could complete the tax return but not lodge it. So I had to save the file onto a USB disc and use another PC (OS is in English) to lodge it. Even though it was a little bit annoying I was able to deal with it.

This year, I am not even able to start the program even though the ETAX installation took place successfully. So I now have the option of either buying a computer, which it will be used for the sole purpose of doing tax return, or do the TAX Pack, which I never used in my whole life, but have no other option other than not to lodge one for next billion years. :mad:

Is it easier to give it all to an accountant?

I've tried three accountants in the past and wasn't really happy with all them. One caused more trouble than I started with so I am not really keen with this option. A bad taste in the mouth.

My tax returns involve PAYG, share dividends, fund income and some personal service incomes.

I can usually do all of them myself, without too much trouble, and I can't justify spending $300-400 on an accountant when my income for this year is likely to be less than $10K.

I've tried three accountants in the past and wasn't really happy with all them. One caused more trouble than I started with so I am not really keen with this option. A bad taste in the mouth.

My tax returns involve PAYG, share dividends, fund income and some personal service incomes.

I can usually do all of them myself, without too much trouble, and I can't justify spending $300-400 on an accountant when my income for this year is likely to be less than $10K.

And how much is a new computer with English OS? :)

Can you purchase the new computer & claim it back on tax?

Sorry you had a bad experience with accountants...it shouldn't cost that much should it if you have no IP's & associated expenses?

Personally I quite like our accountant & I'm sure there are some nice, reputable ones on here if you choose to give it another go :)

Aside from that, I kinda agree with wobblycarl ;)

Regards,
M&M

If your tax is relatively straightforward and you have all the documentation, why not go to one of the instant tax return services in a shopping centre. Here in Brisbane the cost for a return is under $100, you don't need an appointment and they do it all on the spot.
Marg

what's the actual error you get when starting the program?

also what stops you from calling ATO and asking them for support on etax program?

When e-tax wouldn't run on 64-bit windows, we had the one computer dual-booted with a 32-bit version.

You could always do the same, for the cost of another hard drive if you don't have the space. I'll leave it up to you to work out where to get an English Windows from.

When e-tax wouldn't run on 64-bit windows, we had the one computer dual-booted with a 32-bit version.

You could always do the same, for the cost of another hard drive if you don't have the space. I'll leave it up to you to work out where to get an English Windows from.

If I did get a hold of English version of OS, how can I do this?

My laptop has C & D HDD, and it uses C to start the current Windows XP.

Is it just as simple as buying an external HDD and installing it with English version of OS?

In my logial thinking, you would first have to fiddle with the computer to give you a screen to say choose OS1 or OS2. And this is the bit I would have trouble.

id just install a different version of windows, they are plentiful and cheap

There is a problem with this because I run Korean HTS and have a few Korean banking internet banking accounts, where their security program does not run on English Windows OS and I cannot conduct any transactions.

Otherwise, I would have used English OS ages ago as it is cheaper and easier to obtain in Australia.

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

After reading all the responses, I think in the long run, I would have to either run two systems on one computer or have two computers as I don't think ATO will change it's ETAX program to cater for those like me who use foreign language OS in the near future.

With my limited understanding of computers, it will be much easier to buy another computer. (A heavy sigh) I wish I could!!!

Even though it may only cost me $120 this year(going to HR Block type of places- they charge $6-8 per statement and I have at least 12 statements), I will have to file tax returns each year, as long as my income is more than $6000 per year. A few years of using tax agents will add up to a computer as a friend of a friend has said that he could build a new computer for me with Windows OS & basis Microsoft programs for $700 (without a monitor).

Get that friend of a friend to come over and set you up to dual boot - its a bit complex explaining it, its easier to just do it. Then it is set up to pause briefly as it turns on with a choice of operating systems but will go into the one you choose as default after 30 seconds or so. You might have enough space to do this already (depends how big your hard drives are) otherwise someone who knows what they are doing can work out something with an extra drive. Hard drives are under $100 these days.

Other half says get windows 7 ultimate and just change languages as you need to but he also says windows 7 ultimate costs more than a new computer :rolleyes:

Back