WOW aren't you lucky

I don't know about anyone else here on Somersoft. But this statement annoys me the most.
Recently at a friends BBQ I was asked about a unit I own, I went on to discuss with this person how it was going and that it was doing really well and had excellent tenants. Then for the person sitting on the other side of me who wasn't involved in the conversation to say "Wow, aren't you lucky" and then left it at that.
This left my blood boiling as she has no idea the sacrifices that I made to buy that unit and how much effort I put into it renovating it (former PPOR).
Just wanted to vent this sorry, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets annoyed when people say this to them

I would not worry about this too much,iv'e been through this a few times mainly from old mates married partners when they get around 50 and they work out buying the new car each year and renting was not the best path too be on ,once they find out you are living off investment taxed income,,best just to say very little,because you go from one camp of being liked too the camp of being unliked very quickly..

Last year i got into trouble for calling a work colleague "darling" she lodged a written complaint,i didnt know here she was just ringing from one dept to the other and i called her darling in one of the sentences when i was speaking to her and apparently she was shocked and had to go for trauma counselling, i work for the state public service.

OK, maybe tell them to go work on a farm or construction site for a few weeks,or be a stay at home mum or dad with 4 kids under 5,social media has made a lot of people antisocial when someone uses them..

I too get the lucky comment. Both for my investing and my travel.

Depends on how it is said as to how I react. If it's someone that is just making a wise crack I just say "Yep" off to (insert next country I'm visiting)) next month.
If it's someone that I know I casually say how it's not about luck, it's about making choices. You too can be lucky if you do the things that make you so.

A few years ago when I started buying (like crazy- according to my husband) lots of people at work said, "I'd like to do that". I offered to talk to them about how to get started. Not one did. Now that I'm working part time and looking at retirement they say nothing.

6 years ago I was looking at life on the pension. Then I got "lucky". That is I woke up and decided I had to make my own luck.

Now I'm set up and can retire when I'm ready.

Yes I guess I am lucky really. Lucky that I worked hard and saved, didn't buy frivolous stuff, lucky that I spent many hours each day on the net, reading books, networking with people and learning how the investing game works.

I travel 3-4 months a year and everyone says I'm lucky. Again- saving, working. When my kids were little I went to Uni and lived on next to nothing for 5 years. Sacrifice! People just see what you are now, not what you did to get there.

Anybody can be lucky.

L- Labouring
U- Under
C- Correct
K- Knowledge.

I too get the lucky comment. Both for my investing and my travel.

Depends on how it is said as to how I react. If it's someone that is just making a wise crack I just say "Yep" off to (insert next country I'm visiting)) next month.
If it's someone that I know I casually say how it's not about luck, it's about making choices. You too can be lucky if you do the things that make you so.

A few years ago when I started buying (like crazy- according to my husband) lots of people at work said, "I'd like to do that". I offered to talk to them about how to get started. Not one did. Now that I'm working part time and looking at retirement they say nothing.

6 years ago I was looking at life on the pension. Then I got "lucky". That is I woke up and decided I had to make my own luck.

Now I'm set up and can retire when I'm ready.

Yes I guess I am lucky really. Lucky that I worked hard and saved, didn't buy frivolous stuff, lucky that I spent many hours each day on the net, reading books, networking with people and learning how the investing game works.

I travel 3-4 months a year and everyone says I'm lucky. Again- saving, working. When my kids were little I went to Uni and lived on next to nothing for 5 years. Sacrifice! People just see what you are now, not what you did to get there.

Anybody can be lucky.

L- Labouring
U- Under
C- Correct
K- Knowledge.

Travelbug, congrats on being "lucky"....

I want to do a lot more travelling in the future, see more of the world... I'm definitely on the path to be able to do it thanks to both the market and to the choices I've made in my life... I currently have flights for Asia Sept to November this year (2 full months) and I figure I will basically have no home mortgage interest repayments to make right about then.... I can do this, no guilt... no consumer debt.... so lucky! ;)

Was a bit flummoxed to cop this "aren't you a lucky girl" comment from my accountant the other day as I sold one house and will buy another 2 . Remember once before when doing my business tax return he said "you 've got a nice little earner there" like it was something that had just happened and no thought as to the hard work I had put in building it up. He then proceeded to advise me how to continue my investing...really????

I'm not lucky. I have sporadically purchased a few Tattslotto tickets over the years - nothing to show for it.

We have worked hard, saved, sacrificed, educated ourselves, got our hands dirty, made choices we take full responsibility for and have learnt from our mistakes. We are in a position we are comfortable in now. I don't see any concept of 'luck' in there.

You need to shut out the noise.

I consider myself lucky to have participated in a phenomenal property boom that those buying now are unlikely to experience. There was not much hard work involved really.

I consider myself lucky to have participated in a phenomenal property boom that those buying now are unlikely to experience. There was not much hard work involved really.

Really? Do you just "happened to buy property" in the right place, at the right time with no research, work involved? If do, did you throw a dart at a map? That's lucky I guess.

Yes the boom has been kind to lots of people but I think many people bought in Sydney in the last 5 years "because" research told them that Dydney was due for a boom, not because they got lucky.

I achieved my goals before the boom hit. I admit I didn't do any work to facilitate a boom but I wouldnt say luck had anything to do with it.

And there will never be another boom for others to experience?

I just laught off comments like that. I don't feel the the need to explain myself or justify my position. I just say thanks and smile:D

Really? Do you just "happened to buy property" in the right place, at the right time with no research, work involved? If do, did you throw a dart at a map? That's lucky I guess.
A bit of research, a bit of renovation, the occasional bit of stress, but come on, watching your property triple in value is not "hard work". We all are lucky to have owned during this credit boom that is unlikely to be repeated for a long time.

Do a Taylor Swift on them and shake it off man.
If you're serious about success, comments like these should make you laugh, not get angry. Let them be the ones getting angry when you laugh off their comments with total confidence.
There's so many people in this word determined to remain average their whole lives, don't try to stop them because theres just to many of them, let them be.

haha yeah go for the t swifty! love it

My reaction i would be furious but shortly after i would be laughing, its good positive feedback, youve obviously done something good for people to be green with envy! a snde comment back doesnt hurt either just to get them going even more

A bit of research, a bit of renovation, the occasional bit of stress, but come on, watching your property triple in value is not "hard work". We all are lucky to have owned during this credit boom that is unlikely to be repeated for a long time.

In terms of multiples I tend to agree with you, the double 7-10yrs BS is unlikely as a generalization moving forward but the party is not about to stop unless ww3 is around the corner. The hard part is mindset, overcoming your own doubt, fear and blocking out all the uninformed BS.
Yes be careful with calculated risk but doing nothing isn't appealing the result is well.. nothing.

Back