WWYD to this bathroom?

Had a look at this house today? I forgot to take photos,

basically its a 3bdr house VIC, ive got it down to $200kish
my original offer was $180k, then $190k,

My plans were to do a full cosmetic reno ($12k), and sell it for $245-$265k,

by cosmetic reno I mean, new paint, new kitchen, new applicances, new bathtub, shower, vanity, toilet, tiles, polished boards, new laundry, a few walls replaced, corners replaced, paint outside, Clean roof tiles, new light fixtures

However, the bathroom is funny, as per the diagram, there is a bathroom, with a basin in it, absolutely tiny, basically the width of the bathtub and about 1m of floor, next to it is a shower which a room the width of the shower plus 1m floor, next to a toilet

im thinking about knocking the walls for both of them and combining it into a combined one, however, once I start doing this, and moving plumbing, the costs start to rise rapidly,

ideally less moving of pipes, and no wall modifications, makes it a cheap cosmetic reno, but once you start moving them, it becomes a pain,

the existing bdrs arent very big either, eg main bdr doesn not have an ensuite

What would somersoft people do?

Attachments

• House.JPG
    House.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 183
Where are the doors?

My gut feeling says knock wall between bathroom and shower and leave toilet separate.
No changing plumbing - take out shower over bath and make it a bath only, then vanity where it is, then shower where it is. Keep toilet separate.

Did I interpret the plan right?

If the demographic suits retaining the bath (i.e. young kids with families), I would retain the bath, knock out the wall and remove the shower, but put a wall in to create a separate toilet.

By adding the shower area to the bath area, you have a nice space and separate toilet.

Just put a shower over the bath and you have plenty of room for a good vanity and storage etc.

I actually have an IP in Ipswich with a similar issue - separate bath, shower and toilet - each in separate rooms next to eachother!!

Thanks everyone, and Westminster again (always can rely on you)

Door is at the bottom of each room, so three doors

I was thinking of knocking down the two walls, removing the shower completely and making it a over bath to free up space, it's really a shallow room, ie only the. Length of the bathtub,

So it will go, over bath , then vanity, then gap, then toilet
But being a thin room, it might look odd,

Just brainstorming at this stage

Just trying to work out whether I could get away with getting equity by just cleaning up the three rooms which I don't think so

Combine bath, basin and shower into one room. Keep toilet seperate.

Dave and I are on the same wavelength.
Having a room only 1500mm deep (the length of a bath) is fine. I have that in some of my houses and honestly it's ok.
I would keep the toilet separate though.

+1 for shower+bath combined, to open up space,

but then you have the problem of a long narrow room with the shower/bath on the left, basin in the middle and nothing to the right

You could put another toilet there, but thats more plumbing and stuffing around, its better then nothing but may not be worth it

Top 10 Bathroom Renovation tips

I recently shared these tips with my students and thought you might find it of benefit. I hope this serves you

Jane Slack-Smith

Top 10 Renovation Tips for Bathroom Reno

A strategic bathroom makeover creates the right impression, highlighting the positive aspects while minimising any negatives, creating a setting where more people can make an emotional connection with your home.

Renovating a bathroom to add value is quite different from a normal home owner bathroom renovation, because it?s all about adding perceived value, that is: a perception of value that is over and above the actual cost of the individual items.

It?s also about renovating to the tastes of your potential buyer or renter and not to just your personal tastes. This is an area where some people have difficulty, but the important thing to remember here is that you are not your buyer.

Now this is really important even if you are not selling the property. For instance you might be renovating the property just to increase it?s value, so you can access it's new equity.

Well even in this case, even when you are not selling the property, it?s still all about the target buyer, because this is what a valuer will be considering when appraising the market value of your property.

In order to add value, your bathroom makeover needs to cater to what the majority of buyers in your area are looking for and within that group to the broadest possible tastes.

Get this right and you can add substantial value, without it having to cost a fortune. In fact spending just a few dollars on bathroom refreshers can make all the difference.

Here are my top 10 tips for adding value to a bathroom, while keeping costs to a minimum:

1. Replacing the taps and fittings: These days there are many low cost replica designer taps available and this alone provides a quick injection of wow factor, for very little money.
2. Leave the plumbing where it is: By keeping the plumbing outlets and drains where they are, you can reduce the time and money spent on a bathroom.
3. Painting: Painting the walls and/or ceilings is one of the least expensive way to improve your bathroom.
4. Paint the tiles: You can even paint over tiles using special tile paint. This is a lower cost option to completely gutting the bathroom and replacing the tiles.
5. Paint the bath: Look into low cost options of re-surfacing the bath. You can hire a professional do this, or purchase a DIY product such as "Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile" to that get that clean and tidy look you are after.
6. Replace the mirror: Mirrors are one of the most cost effective ways to add wow factor to a bathroom, the bigger the better!
7. Replace vanity: Now days you can purchase great looking modern vanities for a few hundred dollars. Try ebay stores or take a look on the auction websites.
8. Replace the fittings: Shiny new fittings such as handles, towel rails and toilet holders are cheap to buy, but look great and add real value.
9. Re-grouting: Sometime your tiles can still be in good condition, but the grout between the tiles has become discoloured over the years. By removing the old grout and replacing it with new grout, you can make a huge difference to the look of a bathroom.
10. Replace the shower curtain: Even something is simple and cheap as a new shower curtain can make a big difference in a low cost bathroom makeover.

I would make it one room.

Change over the bath and toilet.

Having and 800x800 shower you should still have 700 left in width. Have door opposite shower or better still if you can have door next to shower.

You would need a 700mm wide door in either case.

Alternatively I would do a combined bath shower. Fit nice mixer with diverter and frame-less bath screen.

Install highest spec basin and then a flashy near full height cupboard with glass front and glass shelves embedded in the wall. Easy to do but looks expensive.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20140301_110328.jpg
    20140301_110328.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20140301_110355.jpg
    20140301_110355.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 67
24d0qav.jpg

6hpc2u.jpg

2aj7zbm.jpg

sorry aboiut the size of the photos, have no idea how to make them smaller,

I took some photos this morning,

since this is going to be a budget reno, eg $12k all up including kitchen, floors, paint, bathroom, laundry, etc. etc. I could go quite full on like above but the budget would be blow out without any great benefit I feel

I was thinking of ripping out the wall between the bath and shower, removing the shower completely
make the bath into a bath+shower in one, new vanity, tile entire bathroom, paint, new lights, I should be able to get away with it quite cheap and good bang for buck,

but then id be wasting space where the show used to be, cant make it into a BIR, since its no where near a bedroom

what else could people suggest

You could put the vanity along that shower wall as it has the shower plumbing there? Nice big mirror above.

Then you could have towel rails etc between bath and vanity where the window is

Hmmm slightly crazy idea.

Turn bath into shower/bath and leave wall where it is.
Knock wall between toilet and shower and make that a 'bathroom' with a shower and toilet and add a small pedestal basin.

Voila 2 bathrooms?

hmmm westmin, I like your 2nd idea!

so one bathroom will have both shower/bath but no toilet

and the other will have a shower and a toilet,

Back