Wyndham Vale...

Hi All,

Been lurking around these forums for a while but just registered now as I'm looking to get my first IP. The place I'm thinking of is a 4 bed 2 bath in Wyndham Vale. I am looking at buy, renovate and hold for the first few IP as I'm relatively handy with my hands.

Now I know Wyndham Vale has a bad rep but my reasons are:

1. Melbourne can no longer viably grow east. It has established and prices will continue to rise. It can still grow West though.
2. When looking at long term history Footscray and Yarraville used to be poorer areas. So was Pt Cook, and so was Werribee. All these have experienced nice growth as Melbourne continues to expand West. Wyndham Vale is just past Werribee in this regard.
3. Wyndham Vale is experiencing huge development in anticipation of this, the Regional Rail Link has been cut and the station in Manor Lakes is built. The Precinct Structure Plan has identified transport options so it doesn't become like Pt Cook that you can't get out of it. There are two new town centres in the early stages. There is the continued release of new land for development for sporting areas/recreational areas.

So I guess my questions here are does this plan sound feasible or have I got it completely wrong? I'm reluctant to buy off the plan due to builders premium.

I understand Wyndham Vale has taken a hit over the last 12 months growth wise but the start of this also coincided with the removal of the FHOG. Building has since started to pick up, as have property prices.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your opinions.

Cheers.

I'm no expert but here my views;
(I used to live in outer west for 6 years and had/sold 1 IP, still hold 1 IP)

- Since there's lot of land, I haven't seen much growth in older properties.
- Still require improvements to Schools. This was one of the reasons we've moved out to eastern suburbs.
- Even the rent is not that great for older properties (but might be a different case if you renovate).
- With regards to eastern suburbs, the circle will keep expanding. e.g. I'm in outer eastern suburbs and some properties going for almost million dollars. Few years ago, these would have been 400/500K.
- Not sure what the situation with roads these days. When I was there, the road system was not holding up with the new developments. So, it was always traffic to get on to the freeway.

If you ask me if I buy anything in the area, I'd say no. But, I do have an IP so, if prices go up, I'll be happy :D

If the West grows further.. would that not negatively affect your CG as well ?
Never stayed there..just visited friends.

Also, i believe there are still new development outer east near Gembrook , Beaconsfield ( or is that south east ).....also in Berwick..

Who knows what will happen in 10 years...maybe you will be glad you bought there :)

Last edited:
Forgot to mention I'm trying to stay under the 300K mark for my first IP. This one will be listed 255k to 285k. I have a friend with a 4 bed 2 bath 5 doors up with a bank valuation of 300k, so a registered val should (fingers crossed) exceed this. I'm thinking it will go for around the 260k mark as the vendors are extremely motivated but it will need a quick do-up to maximise any potential.

Expected rent 270-280 p/w.

...Melbourne can no longer viably grow east. It has established and prices will continue to rise. It can still grow West though.

You can still buy the same sort of stock in the outer East, and with better transport options than W-vale.

Do you know much about the estate were you are considering buying. Anything positive or negative? Or unsure?

Positives, good size block for location but not big enough to subdivide. Negatives are only that the current tenants haven't been the best and it will need a bit of reno work.

Not sure of any others yet as I still haven't been through it as the agent has hit a wall with the tenants so we are gonna wait til they move out then have a look.

Back