Xenia!! :) - Hole in wall - tenant refuses to pay

Where abouts in Melbourne?

Berwick. Patch hole with filler, sand and paint colour to match. Hole is about as big as golf ball. I'd say you could get a sample colour pot for free from a paint joint.

I would just get the thing fixed - surely your brother wont be charging you $120...

I asked him if he'd do it for $50. He said it's not worth his time.

When you win $120 do you also get your $88 back?

No - this is the PM attendance fee.

if not you will spend money to travel there, park, wait, prepare for the hearing ..at least 3 hours all up all to make $32 ... That is a lower pay rate then your girlfriend

I wouldn't go, just my PM.

I understand where you are comming from, but is $120 really worth the effort and the blood pressure?

Tax deductible too mind you.

You know when you've just had enough though? I've probably paid over a few grand is these types of things by now.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

The tenants don't have to pay $120 to have it fixed they can opt to fix it themselves the idea is that they make good the damage they did.

We have charged tenants $50 to clean a shower screen and vanity unit because it was not done to our satisfaction after an inspection. They had the option to go in and do it properly but were overseas. That's just what the cost was to get a cleaner out. Who was responsible for leaving the bathroom dirty?

Investment properties are a business and emotions need to be kept out!

David,
Berwick is a bit far, for me to fix it for you unfortunately, however what I would do if I was you, is go down to the "Big green shed" and buy a plaster bracket and a blank switch/powerpoint plate and cover the golf ball sized hole with that.

No need to paint , no stress, and it can be repaired properly at some stage if and when other maintenance is done, cost about $10. :)

When you said your brother was the tradesman who the tenant said did caused the damage, I thought you and your brother lived locally. So I was going to suggest telling the tenant they dont have to pay, but you'll be coming around to fix it, then rock up with your brother :D But your not local and the tenant's moved on so there goes that idea... Yeah, can;t you take it out of their bong ?

The fact that the handyman is your brother means that he is not an independent witness. If you go to the tribunal, it will simply boil down to your brother's word against the tenant.

If I was the judge I'd award 50/50.
Marg

I would just deduct it from the bond and give the reason in the letter to the tenant justifying the amount deducted. If the tenants do not like it they can take you to VCAT to argue the case. Most likely they will move on too as they need to work! :)

I can't believe how many people are telling you to let this go David :confused:

Why should David have to fork out $120 (no matter how small the amount) for something that wasn't his doing?

See if you can take it from their bond if you haven't already done so.

Yes its only $120 but think about it, if David had to do this (i.e. ignore) once for each of his rentals (say he's got 10) every year, thats $1200!! I certainly wouldn't be happy letting that go!

I would just get the thing fixed - surely your brother wont be charging you $120...

I would however delay the return of the bond, just don't sign it over - let the tenant chase it, let the tenant apply to the tribunal for its release - then the day before the hearing sign it over - this will put the tenant though the same level of stress as it has you and who knows the tenant may come to the party - may need the bond greater than you do.
My vote for most pragmatic advice.

Final wrap up...

With everything else going on in my life at the moment (housemate moving out, sick from a flu, other issues) I didn't act on this issue quick enough.

I feel my property manager isn't firm enough with the tenants. She seems to take the stance that the tenant must agree to items coming out of the bond. It was a little disappointing, I mean, what's the point of signing a lease with damage clauses and doing routine inspections if damage can 'appear' on move out day and the tenant not be held liable.

I had instructed her to go to VCAT over the issue but she said it's been too long (14 days) and that she'd get laughed at.

Ho hum, another $120 for me...

Get a new Property Manager. This one is obviously a bit of a pushover. It should have come out of the Bond. It is then up to the Tenant to pursue it.

Agree with Skater and others who say it should have come out of the bond. The more I hear about slack PMs the happier I am that I manage our own IPs :).

And for her to say the tenant has to agree to the bond disbursement. What a load of rubbish.

Back