Xmas pressie for wife - any ideas?

So Xmas is fast approaching and I'm struggling with ideas for my wife.

I can't get her any vouchers for anything (like spa treatments) as I've done that too much in the past. I recently bought her a bag while on a business trip so can't do that either.

She's 36 with second baby due just after Xmas and doesn't work (in a job that is, she works harder than I do in looking after first child).

Her only hobby is cooking - I made the mistake of buying her a kitchen gift last year...let's just say I won't be making that mistake again!

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Jonathon

gosh - your wife is being soooo difficult. i always buy my own christmas presents, then leave them out for hubby to wrap.

then i get what "i" want, and he doesn't have the stress of not knowing what to get me.

:confused: Lizzie - everyone does Xmas differently, some people like being surprised with gifts that their other half has thought of for them.

To the OP - maybe check out redballoon days voucher? she can choose from a lot of things on there.

:confused: Lizzie - everyone does Xmas differently, some people like being surprised with gifts that their other half has thought of for them.

I don't know how old you are T85 (?24) but for many after the 15th or so year of going through/watching your partner go through the misery that Jonothan is experiencing, the admission to each other that you accept and won't think badly of them by picking your own presents is a relief.

That and a few 'wrong' presents later can make it look like a mighty fine idea :p.

Sorry, I was trying to help Jonathon out with pressie ideas, is all.

I thought he asked for present advice not "what do you and your partner do with presents", that's why I had a question mark for lizzie's post.

What about a board game? does your wife like board games?

Or take her somewhere on a day trip / surprise outing if she would prefer quality time over a gift. Might need to organise a babysitter etc, but it's a chance for you to go on a "date" like old times.

Does she like going to see musicals?

What's wrong with buying the wife a gift for the kitchen? If that's where she likes to spend her time, then it seems like an ok choice.

There's a guy i know that likes to cook, but doesn't do much washing up - the wife would do most of that. This guy bought his wife a dishwasher for their first anniversary :D

I gave my wife some expensive Jamie Oliver cookware once, but I realised that it might be seen as a bit of an 'ironing board cover' so made sure to buy something else too.

Tess, I think the thing people hate about vouchers is that it says "I couldn't be stuffed finding you a real present". The only thing more insulting would be cash.

I think this is a great idea

Jonathon

You could buy a Pandora bracelet and then add beads when something special happens eg. births, birthdays, anniversaries, special holidays etc.

Buy a silver Pandora bracelet and buy a snow flake bead to signify Christmas (and maybe another bead for the baby you already have) and then buy one when the new baby is born.

TIP...
Buy SILVER Pandora bracelet unless you are hugely rich as the GOLD is really expensive.

Pandora is usually brought from jewellery shops (there are other cheaper versions availalble)

Good Luck.

PS - Also an arrangement of flowers delivered...

Cheers
Sheryn

Sounds hard, I know, but you could ask her what she wants?

Ah... but what if she says 'I don't really know' :confused:.

My eldest boy has done that to me a few times.

Boring, but he's getting some 'David Beckham, Instinct' fragrance and money to put towards the car he's saving for.

Tess, I think the thing people hate about vouchers is that it says "I couldn't be stuffed finding you a real present". The only thing more insulting would be cash.

That's a shame, hubby absolutely loved his redballoondays voucher, went rally driving and gokarting on it (he was going to choose from all sorts of other things such as quadbiking etc)

I still think that not all vouchers are bad; that these vouchers are 1 generation removed from the typical DJ/Myer voucher for overpriced shops and goods...

well - i'm sending hubby on kiteboarding lesson (and after he can use the remedial massage certificate i gave him for fathers' day) and some expensive yachting sunglasses he's been after.

i'm getting a new bottle of chanel no.5 perfume i bought duty free when i came back from nz in october (and have kept it put away for christmas) and a really funky kitchen clock that i wanted and bought last week.

as for ideas ... what about some luxurious bath towels or dressing gown (hotel quality), or plants for the garden (i love vege plants), some fancy cooking lessons where they get to eat the food and drink wine afterwards (while you babysit the kids) ... without knowing your wife, i really don't know.

p.s. the quip about being "sooooo difficult" was tongue in cheek, but, as weg said, after 12 years together i prefer to choose my own gift as it's an opportunity to get something i really would like, but can't justify buying for no real reason. hubby wouldn't ever dare try to pick jewellary for me as whenever i buy myself a new piece he always says "gee, i would never have picked that for you".

p.p.s. hubby is really easy - he's been hang gliding, dogfighting in biplanes, scuba diving, yachting stuff, last year was a massage chair insert (oooo, that one was good) ... still have rally driving and skydiving on the list!

If you don't know what to get her, then a voucher can be a good present, when it also includes you being the driver & bag carrier & being there at every store to lie, no i mean tell her about how good all her choices look.

Another addded bonus is that since you give it at xmas, she can't go shopping until after xmas when all the sales are on, so she'll be getting extra xmas pressies.

Or take her somewhere on a day trip / surprise outing if she would prefer quality time over a gift. Might need to organise a babysitter etc, but it's a chance for you to go on a "date" like old times.

Does she like going to see musicals?

If I was at home with kids this is what I'd want. Make up an invitation on the computer. It is a bit like a voucher (but not). It would be a nice gift to you both.

If someone likes cooking I don't think a kitchen gift is wrong. When you don't like cooking it is VERY wrong.
My hubby's getting a knife block by the way. He doesn't cook a lot but he LOVES knives.:eek:

I have two words for you: dresses & jewelry neither has ever failed me! ;)

Oh my, if my husband tried to buy me a dress, it would be a disaster!! Dresses are the hardest item to buy without trying on, I think....

My husband often buys jewellry, but I go through stages of wearing it and not wearing any, so I often don't get into it that much.

I used to be really into gifts, and loved receiving surprises, but I've come round to Lizzie's point of view... if I really want something specific, I buy it and get my husband to give it to me. no more mind reading required.

Have a think about whether she's given some hints over the past few months. I always used to do that, but hubby rarely picked up them!

I would love a night/ weeks away from the kids plus dinner out somewhere romantic....

Novels, and time to read them.....

nice perfume.......

stuff for the house (towels, bathmats, sheets etc).......

Back