Yagoddaluvit!

I had to drive down to Rosebud this morning for a few things - about 10 mins on the freeway.

On the way back, I was in the left hand lane doing 101km/h - digital speedo.

A guy in a Commodore gradually came up on my right side, eased past me, and when he got just past me he planted the foot quite a bit and accelerated away. I'm guessing doing at least 120km's.

Now, to clarify the scenario, my car is a charcoal grey Commodore HSV R8, and looks like an unmarked cop car, so I'm guessing that because I was almost exactly on the speed limit, he was checking to see if I was a cop, and then seeing I wasn't he had the all clear to zoom off.

About 500m ahead of me, I saw his brake lights come on briefly, and I wondered what the reason would have been. It occurred to me that maybe there was a break in the centre divide tree line and there was possibly a cop car sitting there?

I was right.

I passed the cop car which was now pulling out with it's lights on, and flew past me and pulled the guy over further up the road ahead of me.

BWAHAHA! :D:D No sympathy here.

My last thought as I passed the guy on the side of the road was; "I wonder if he saw or heard any of the 50 million police warnings in the media about driving safely over the Easter w/end?".

I always go driving over the Easter long weekend.

This is actually THE first time I haven't seen any police cars, and the first time I haven't been breatho'd.

Last time I got close to a police car (who was driving behind us at 110 for about 30km, with ample opportunities to overtake) was while being forced to brake hard to avoid driving into the back of a truck that was doing 80ish in the left lane of an overtaking thingy. We couldn't change lanes to avoid the truck as the police car decided to choose that exact moment to overtake us, even though we were accelerating up to overtake the truck.

Most people let the car in front of them overtake the slow moving truck first in an overtaking lane, they don't force them into the back of the truck by flying out from behind and hogging the overtaking lane. Common courtesy says let the cars in front of you go first, then the cars in front go into the left lane and any fast drivers behind those can continue overtaking, which is what usually happens. Closest I've been to an accident for years.

Marc, your story reminded me of something that happened years ago. I was driving back to Sydney in my girlfriends car from the snow after a weekend skiing.

There was another couple in the back who were friends. My gf was complaining that i was driving too fast (i was probably a bit over the speed limit) and after a while she suggested our male friend in the back take over the driving.

I was fine with that. Withing 10 minutes he was booked for speeding. And it was a big one i recall.

Back