Yanchep

just an update here - the bank valued mine up at $600k. I think this is quite good and there is probably not much point in me selling it now, the cash pulled out by selling it will be about the same as the refi amount.

Hi PCI

What kind of probs did you experience with Gemmill? I had none at all with the 2 we did at Rockingham. I find it odd that it seems easier to work with these builders from interstate - you would think it would be the other way round!

Hi Sparky

Sorry for the late reply (Working up north)
As we will be living in this house I have had the furtune to access it every time I am in Perth (2 weekly)

There has been so many issues with this house I won’t bore you with the details. But the two main issues have been the quality of the trades people used out here by Gemmill and supervision of the job. One day I entered the house and discovered that the tiler had not covered up the kitchen bench before installing the tiles.

The kitchen bench was covered with the white grout powder and left over debris from the tiler. This was also the same for our on-suite and laundry.

I notified the supervisor and Gemmill in writing and explained that if there were to be any scratches on handover I would want the benches replaced.

On handover I didn’t see any scratches but notices the benches had been cleaned and were like greasy but didn’t take any more notice. We then covered all benches with blankets in preparation for painting and took them off approx 4 weeks later where we then notices lots of scratches on our kitchen bench including the on-suite and laundry benches.

Whatever the benches had been cleaned with had hidden the scratches. I am getting all benches replaced early next year at our own expense.

This is just one of the many issues we have had with Gemmill

We will never use this company again.

this is a bit of an old trick actually, a builder told me about it years ago. can't recall what they use - could be vegetable oil?

nah its a wax type of substance..used as a sealer so that no liquid etc penetrates the top..if not sealed..any kind of liquid..water, wine etc will penetrate the granite ..it can also get rid of minor scratches too..

Hi Sparky

Sorry for the late reply (Working up north)
As we will be living in this house I have had the furtune to access it every time I am in Perth (2 weekly)

There has been so many issues with this house I won’t bore you with the details. But the two main issues have been the quality of the trades people used out here by Gemmill and supervision of the job. One day I entered the house and discovered that the tiler had not covered up the kitchen bench before installing the tiles.

The kitchen bench was covered with the white grout powder and left over debris from the tiler. This was also the same for our on-suite and laundry.

I notified the supervisor and Gemmill in writing and explained that if there were to be any scratches on handover I would want the benches replaced.

On handover I didn’t see any scratches but notices the benches had been cleaned and were like greasy but didn’t take any more notice. We then covered all benches with blankets in preparation for painting and took them off approx 4 weeks later where we then notices lots of scratches on our kitchen bench including the on-suite and laundry benches.

Whatever the benches had been cleaned with had hidden the scratches. I am getting all benches replaced early next year at our own expense.

This is just one of the many issues we have had with Gemmill

We will never use this company again.

with so many different trades running in an out of your house during the construction stage..it is next to impossible to pin point which trade is responsibile for whatever damage may occur...a lot of trades wont think the consequences of their actions (or lack of)..they dont see it as theyre job..
unless you have someone inside that house full time supervisor over the shoulders of each trade (which will never happen)..some damage is likely to occur..but its also trying to find the guilty party that is sometimes the hardest and painfull

Hey there guys...
just a question about Celebrations...
Ive built with them six times now and have always had to do my own finishing off; tiles, painting, blinds etc...
I have asked them if they do it but they always say no. I stopped asking after number 3 tho...
Was this extra service offered to you in some sort of deal or did you approach them to do it for you?
The thing about Celebrations is that their houses are quite big and well spec'd for the money, sometimes the quality of the trades isn't the greatest thought because they dont pay overly attractive rates to their tradies...I find the plasterers (especially the front render!!!!!)and brickies are the worst culprits. If you have ever tried fitting skirting to a Celebration home, you will understand what I mean when I mentioned the plasterers! Their best point though is that they build them quick!!! they built one of mine in 4.5 months!Probably has a lot to do with the supervisor aswell.
...Just my personal opinion...

Hi Boods

I am interstate and asked for a turnkey price and when travelled across to WA and went to the Head office to do contracts they just took us into the selection room to pick out the tiles, carpets, blinds etc so they definetly do it! This is why it is mental that they absolutely would not organise the painting aswell!

Well done ausprop on that fantastic valuation! Does that make my place a bargain at $545,000? If so perhaps you can find a buyer for me! I really don't want to sell it but we need some cashflow asap for the duplex projects over here in NSW.

Sparky

just an update here - the bank valued mine up at $600k. I think this is quite good and there is probably not much point in me selling it now, the cash pulled out by selling it will be about the same as the refi amount.

Hi Ausprop

I you dont mind what lot number is this?

Cheers
PC

55... is on board st. at thisd stage i probably will sell still - i dont need anymore rentals!

This area is looking great now with all the landscaping taking place. I wish you all the best with selling.

We are about to start our next project of building a 4x2 on the other side and I am pretty sure we will use Dale Alcock this time.

We did have some problems with vandals last Thursday night over in Harford Grove. Approx 20 houses had their windows smashed in and the mobile toilets were knocked over.

Hi PC1

Thanks for the heads up re the vandals! I emailed my agent and she said that we just had a few pavers overturned that were on the driveway to stop people using it but the house across the road was smashed quite badly. We were very lucky indeed.

It seems they targetted houses without window dressings which were obviously empty. Lucky we got Celebration to include the blinds after all as the vandals would have not realised it was an empty house!

Thanks again!

Sparky

Hi PC1

Thanks for the heads up re the vandals! I emailed my agent and she said that we just had a few pavers overturned that were on the driveway to stop people using it but the house across the road was smashed quite badly. We were very lucky indeed.

It seems they targetted houses without window dressings which were obviously empty. Lucky we got Celebration to include the blinds after all as the vandals would have not realised it was an empty house!

Thanks again!

Sparky

I walked past your place the other day. Looks good a gold.

Have you had anyone interested in your property yet?

Cheers

Hi Timbre

Had a few people through all saying they like it but no-one has put their money where there mouth is yet! Just put it down to $539,000 as we really do need some cashflow to help us out with the current projects, hope the damage on the estate doesn't out people off, the real estate was saying the damage is mostly at the back of the houses though.

Hi Timbre

Had a few people through all saying they like it but no-one has put their money where there mouth is yet! Just put it down to $539,000 as we really do need some cashflow to help us out with the current projects, hope the damage on the estate doesn't out people off, the real estate was saying the damage is mostly at the back of the houses though.

Not as per my observation

Broken windows are clearly visible from the front of the houses. A meeting amongst home owners have been organised for this Sunday evening to establish a neighbourhood watch program.

Maybe Real Estate agents should follow up on the outcome of this meeting as potential buyers might like the idea of a neighbourhood watch program.

I have spoken to some of the home owners who have now expressed their concern about living in the area, but personally I think this is only another phase and will pass as the area fully develops.

Cheers

Was this extra service offered to you in some sort of deal or did you approach them to do it for you?

It was an absolute pain having to organise painters, tilers to finish off certain areas, pavers for crossovers, shed and air-con. The majority of it was included as Sparky mentioned. Builders in other states do offer turnkey though which is nice. I suppose you get what you pay for and depends on the state of the construction economy at the time.

Sparky, I would hate to be in your shoes - needing funds urgently and stock just not moving. Hang in there, it would still be worth taking a discount just so you can move your funds along and potentially make more from other new deals. Good luck!

the damage is concerning - I must get up there and see how mine fared.

unfortunately this guy must have just wanted a quick churn

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...&header=&c=3463394&s=wa&snf=rbs&tm=1199629163

and it has pretty much destroyed the sales evidence. As a result, I had a guy offer even less than $499k for mine... I politely declined needless to say!

I see new blocks starting at $249k for sale on the ocean side of Two Rocks Road... just little cottage lots of 300sqm tho. To get full value from this you need to hold for a couple of years I think - just a pain when you want to turn it over

Hi Ausprop

Yes I saw that one just glad that it has sold and is out of the way I guess! I am i the midst of another re-finance over here so if it comes off I may not be forced to sell Yanchep anyway - sucks that I have missed out on some rent but thats the game I guess! Hope your place is ok, might be best to get your equity out quick whilst the bank has given you good numbers to work with.

Yes I saw that a while ago - did anyone actually see it listed at $100,000 more? I have only ever seen it listed for the price its at now, maybe its a sales ploy - if so it isn't working though.

Back