Yanchep

yeh i saw it at $620k, yet it is still advertised as that in the weekend paper as recently as yesterday so i dont get it. these places would have only cost $390k to put together, so leveraged investors are probably happy to walk away with $100k+ clear, even tho they are selling under replacement.

i spoke to a PM and the rents seem quite good... looking at around $400pw+ for a 4x2.

I think we will see an increase in the number of new houses become available soon. I believe that more than half of the buyers in the first stages were investors.

Still have two more to build in the area but getting a bit worried now with the current market situation.

Maybe once Marmion Avenue is up and running demand will grow.

i spoke to a PM and the rents seem quite good... looking at around $400pw+ for a 4x2.

So how does this compare to Singleton down south ?
Rents seem to be floundering there under $300 pw..

Regarding the North, I think it will be rerated soon.
There seems to be a renewed focus on the northern beaches after Rockingham/Mandurah held the spotlight for the last few yrs.

I think the beaches ( and fishing) is better up north but the flies are still pretty bad up Yanchep way !!

It looks like the fwy works going north are starting up as well?

It was an absolute pain having to organise painters, tilers to finish off certain areas, pavers for crossovers, shed and air-con. The majority of it was included as Sparky mentioned. Builders in other states do offer turnkey though which is nice. I suppose you get what you pay for and depends on the state of the construction economy at the time.
QUOTE]

Well we may have a solution here.
Apparently there is an HIA 'minor works contract' that will cover the turnkey items.
We are looking into it now to see how it works and are considering using it to offer this service to other builders and their clients.

This will be under the umbrella of Independ Builders Group ( IBG) which also provides a service to small builders for their admin, contract preparation, working drawings, council applications and approvals, engineering approvals, building consulting, etc.
(There.. you heard it first on SS before it hits the market)

One reason builders avoid these turnkey items within the building contract is that it can affect their imdemnity insurance limit which means less houses that can be built within their limit.

Ausprop, I walked round your place last week while visiting our block and no damage to report.
Although I reckon the fascia and gutter work was pretty 'dodge' and the front landscape looks like its unfinished ( or did it blow away??)

You get the feeling that there are not too many experienced or qualfied tradies on these sites nowadays.

Kevin

Ausprop, I walked round your place last week while visiting our block and no damage to report.
Although I reckon the fascia and gutter work was pretty 'dodge' and the front landscape looks like its unfinished ( or did it blow away??)

yes well... if neighbouring owners would build on their lots there would be a lot less sand blowing around which has covered my verge mulching (HINT!)

thank you for pointing out my weaknesses which I was blissfully unaware of till now :) Actually someone pointed out earlier the shoddy plaster work in celeb homes... this was pointed out to me by the carpet layer too... cr@p plaster job as he put it

In the end though it seems to be down to the individual tradie and whether he has pride in his work and when tradies pick up jobs for several different builders it doesn't mean by changing builders you will avoid Mr dodgy plaster man as he could pop up anywhere!

Ausprop we are a week off getting the keys, then I'll be up there landscaping so you won't be getting any more sand flying of ours!!!

I've still got a bit of finishing up to do, but overall pretty happy with the outcome. We had ours valued at $550,000 although it is unfinished.... so I assume we'll get $600,000 once finished.

So glad to see the one around the corner gone - it would have had some impact on my val though :mad:

sq

We are about to start our next adventure building another house in Yanchep. We are currently looking at Ventura homes (Turnkey set up)

We are seeking a reliable and good builder and were wondering if anyone knows much about this builder and the quality of their work and services.

Have looked at Dale Alcock but they are overpriced for what you get.

Regards
PC

Have used Ventura for two duplexs in the past.
First one went really well and the quality was good
Second one went not as well, was not happy with the service or the quality, but both builds mirrored the state of the housing market at the time ( 2002 to 2005) when it was really hard to get bricks, brickies, roofers, tilers, and the quality was also much worse as you got deeper into the building boom which ended at the end of 2006.

They were recommended by our surveyor ( who I would also recommend!) and to be fair they are good people.

These days we build our own as we have a licence and a building company, and there should be one of ours coming up ( one day!!) on Lot 56 Board St in the Lindsay Beach estate at Yanchep.

kp

Gemmill built our Rockingham houses and I was happy enough with those, with Celebration turnkey didn't quite mean turnkey as we had to find a painter and fix up a couple of things ourselves. Hopefully by the time you have finished the market will be back on track, we still have ours on the market from $419,000 - $449.000 but still not many people looking.

I think you will see a change in the Yanchep area after July as people are waiting for the new reduction in stamp duty. If I was in the market to buy an established house I would be waiting until July.

We live in the Harford Grove area and are noticing more and more people looking around for houses.

I guess getting a good supervisor on the job will have a big impact on the quality and service one receives.

We build our house with Gemmill and have reserved opinions on this whole experience which is still ongoing.

I think you will see a change in the Yanchep area after July as people are waiting for the new reduction in stamp duty. If I was in the market to buy an established house I would be waiting until July.

We build our house with Gemmill and have reserved opinions on this whole experience which is still ongoing.

Bit of a false economy.
How much is the stamp duty reduction worth? ( didn't take any notice as it doesn't affect how we operate)
Simply work out the stamp duty savings and make your offer before July.
Alternative is that current pent up demand may translate into vendors not being so negotiable on their price after July so no real savings effectively.

Thanks to the stupid state govt. making these announcements coming into effect at some point in the future ( ie July ) and not immediately, you have this current situation where the market stalls till that date.

A little vision and common sense intelligence would go a long way in WA.

Gemmill seem to have a competitive product with lots of incentives atm.
Its pretty competitive out there amongst the project builders.

As the cycle turns I venture to say one or two are due to fall over.
Time to be finding a niche market where there is not so much competition.

kp

Thanks to the stupid state govt. making these announcements coming into effect at some point in the future ( ie July ) and not immediately, you have this current situation where the market stalls till that date.

It would seem that tax reductions are often announced and come into effect 1 July or 1 Jan (i.e. at some future date). Whereas the removal of a benefit often applies immediately - e.g. the Federal Govt photovoltaic rebate now only applying to households under a certain threshold, this came into effect from the day of the budget.

Promise goodies for a future day - therefore you get to announce it at least twice. Make a bad hit once and hope no-one remembers in a week...

:)

TB

Last edited:
announcemnet on news last night that train line will be extended to yanchep. one day.

also last night a display home was torched there, not sure which one yet, anoyone know?

suppose, I jsut know that some units I am building in midland are costing close to that to build... a green title house for the price that most villas sell for is pretty good

Ausprop your Midland units will probably appeal to a higher number of buyers than the Yanchep cottage house. You've got train lines and better infrastructure access there.

I know when I last lived in Yanchep, they were quieter market years and interest rates where higher. Our house value crawled at a snails pace, even with all of our work. It seems to me that with outlying areas (even though they are lovely) buyer interest just drops off if petrol & interest rates cost too much.

As for that house in the link, theres still a lot to spend there. No floor coverings, window treatments or fencing by the looks of it.

Ausprop

On the news I watched said the house that burnt down was Lifestyle Homes, showed a picture of a two storey house, looked very nice actually

Back