Yard and pool maintenance included in lease but where?

Hi everyone, we are about to sign a lease for a new rental property and have been advised that the rent includes yard and pool maintenance. We received the proposed lease and it makes no reference to this. When we inquired with the agent she said it could not be included in the special conditions as they, as agents, have no power to include anything there without having a solicitor draft the wording. She said the best they could do is to send us an email advising the yard and pool maintenance is included. To me the lease should set out the terms for the rental and that includes setting out the maintenance.

What is the special conditions section for if it isn't to specify special conditions? They have included a separate document outlining all sorts of things - cleaning requirements, keys but it also mentions that yard and garden maintenance is the tenants responsibility so I think that form is a standard one they issue to all tenants Can anyone assist please? This is for a property in Queensland.

Thank you

The correct place is the special conditions. It does not require a solicitor to draft the clause.

Have the agent fill the special conditions with wording to the effect that:
The lessor/agent undertake to undertake maintenance of the swimming pool on a fortnightly basis?? and yard/gardens maintenance no less than fortnightly between October-April and monthly between June and September.

If the agent requires that they engage a solicitor to write the clause, it is up the the lessor to pay for these costs (if you are not required to share the cost of lease preparation, as is the case in NSW).

yer i wouldn't settle for it not in writing. Although saying that don't expect it to be anything more than the minimum.

We lived in a place with both.
Pool, once a month check pump was ok, checked levels, skimmed, empty filter. It didn't have a creepy and they didn't brush it, they didn't provide all the chemicals for on going, etc...
Garden, the lawn was kept ok, edges done, anything overhanging the footpath and the garden path up to the front door was done. The rest turned into a jungle and we eventually hacked it down a bit because even we as tenants where not happy.

Back