Yellow tongue floors

Is there any way to make a yellow tongue floor look good? Currently have a dining room with disgusting carpet. Eventually wanting to replace flooring in that room plus the adjacent rooms but not in the position to do so at the moment.

Thinking of just ripping up the carpet and having the yellow tongue floor underneath if there is a way to make it look ok. Also been told it can be very cold through yellow tongue, would it be much different temperature wise to having floorboards?

Not being technical at all - do you mean the chipboard that is nowadays used for flooring?

If so, I've seen it polished up with a thick coat of sealer and it looks okay ... better than disgusting carpet ... and can always put down some large rugs to cover it a bit. I always get my large rugs made at the carpet shop - pick a carpet I like (ie, shaggy) and get them to hem it for me. Last cream shagpile rug 2.5 x 3.6m cost me around $700.

Alternatively you could whack some lino down.

Yes that's the stuff. My husband is reluctant to spend any money on temporary flooring when we want to do the whole lot later down the track. I did suggest some cheap lino but he didn't go for it.

Trouble is, the carpet is really gross (full of years of dirt and pet hair that no matter how hard I try I can't vacuum out). I have a child with a dustmite allergy so yucky carpet isn't great and also being the dining area carpet is really hard to keep clean with small children.

He's concerned about it being cold but it's coming into the warmer weather anyway and we might be able to do all the floors before next winter. I just need to convince him it won't look too bad and won't be too cold.

Maybe I will make him clean it for a week and see if he changes his mind!

timber floors aren't cold - and you can always buy him a pair of slippers!

The rug idea is also good as we've had that same 3.6 x 2.5 rug in 3 houses now. It always seems to find a space.

Yes we used to live in a house that was completely hardwood floorboards and he didn't have a problem then. He seems to think it would be colder than the floorboards. Maybe I can just do it while he is at work, hand him his ugg boots and tell him to suck it up haha

When we redo the floors we won't be doing it in carpet though. We are going to be doing the whole house except bedrooms in floorboards, so will cost a bit.

Even if I was to replace just this room with carpet (won't do because it is dining though), it would probably be a good $500.

I figure just doing the yellow tongue shouldn't cost me more than $100

Lizzie, you are probably as good as any two blokes in a reno, but I'm told it is easy for a less than handyman to ruin a floor with a commercial sander.

I can't even do a good paint job.

If the yt is in good condition then might not need a full on push around sander, just belt sand the edges and any burs, nail hols or rought bits u can find. Then another light belt sand the burs in between 2 coats of clear coat. If its for you and only for a few yrs you can get away with that. If for resale etc dont bother just pay and do it right.

My folks had a 2nd story addition done about 25 yrs ago and chose to clear coat the yt chipboard in the master bed upstairs because they like how it looked. Still fine 25 yrs later! It kinda looks like cork, I dont mind it.

if you just want a quick job and the yellow tongue is in pretty good nick (joins are flat, no protruding nails) you could get away with a quick sand with a buffer with 80-100 grit paper and then use an orbital sander on the edges. because the yellow tongue is so porous you will probably need at least 3 most likely 4 coats of polish (use polyurethane for this) before it gets a decent build up.

dont be suprised if it costs you more than you think after machine hire, sandpaper, rollers, brushes and 20 odd litres of polish plus whatever other bits and pieces you find you need once your half way through the job :)

Ended up checking out laminate flooring at bunnings on the weekend. Did the dining plus the kitchen for under $400. My knees are swollen and my hands are blistered but I am happy now :)

Good thing we did, the yellow tongue underneath wasn't looking real flash.

Good job - and a few days of sore knees is way better than paying $20m2+ for someone else to do it.

Now you can justify that massage

Back