Yeronga Townhouse - On flood map! What to do?

I went for a walk up the street yesterday afternoon,I think you will do well,when you look up the road at what happened too the old power house site and the price that some of those upmarket top floor units are for sale at plus the very very old QLD on the corner block back from the car wash is gone don't know what happened with that old house but it would have been a good removal ,,plus your c-g will bounce off those values,there is a property just up from yours on one of those large riverfront blocks that was once named ,"Tipan", it was a stunner 40 years ago Yeronga is one of those solid old money blue chip sleepers..good luck willair..imho..

Thanks for the effort! Yeah we are hoping there will be some cg rubbing off from the upmarket apartments. Apparently there are a few more blocks being built as part of the master plan. With all these high density developments, maybe a new shopping centre might be on the cards?

I personally think there will not be another '74 flood in the next 50 years, (and possibly the next 100 years). I'd bet $10 million bucks on it, which means I'd be happy to own that much property below those flood levels. The Wivenhoe dam makes it virtually impossible, especially when you consider the higher number of people using it as a water supply.

You make a reasonable point about construction techniques, and if I was doing a new multi million $ river front home, I'd include design features to minimize damage.

I know this post was back in july but still i had to comment
Just saying if you took that bet you would have lost, as this week brisbane is having as worse floods as the 74 floods. Obviously the dam only maybe made a small imapact.

Nothing is impossible.

I just hope everyone is safe.

Yeah, it's funny reading what I wrote in July about most people not looking at flood maps when they purchase a property. I bet that will change now! (Temporarily, until people forget about it all over again).

I personally think there will not be another '74 flood in the next 50 years, (and possibly the next 100 years). I'd bet $10 million bucks on it, which means I'd be happy to own that much property below those flood levels. The Wivenhoe dam makes it virtually impossible, especially when you consider the higher number of people using it as a water supply.

Do you want to pay that by cheque or deposit directly into my acoount :D

On another note, I will be selling my brisbane house soon, and luckily it is above the 100yr flood marks, so maybe this will increase its value ?

Ben

On another note, I will be selling my brisbane house soon, and luckily it is above the 100yr flood marks, so maybe this will increase its value ?

That is a very interesting way of looking at it.

I was only thinking about values going down for those who were affected.

The way I see it is that there are a lot of people whos houses are now damaged, so they need somewhere to live, also the people buying houses are going to either buy houses in flood areas cheap, or there will be more competition for the houses in non flood areas (well thats what I am hoping)

So we will have to see how it goes. Although it seems to be mostly the expensive suburbs around brisbane that have flooded (ie near the river)

Ben

So we will have to see how it goes. Although it seems to be mostly the expensive suburbs around brisbane that have flooded (ie near the river)

There are stacks of houses in "less than expensive" areas that are under or partially under.

I was 14 in the '74 floods and remember them well, but more from seeing the coverage over the years than actual memories. I do remember going with my older brother and parents to his boss's house to help sweep mud out of his house. He lived near the river and was wealthy, but everybody probably feels the same when they see their whole lives spread over the lawn, rich or poor.

I don't know whether it is because I remember the floods, or whether it was such a "fresh" topic for years after, but checking flood levels is something that many people have done for as long as I can remember. Even if the buyers are too young to remember the '74 flood, their parents probably remember them. Checking if a house was affected by the '74 flood is just one of the checks I thought "most people" did.

Another thing I always wonder is whether property REALLY was "generally" cheaper right on the river after the floods. Many of those houses fronting or backing onto the river are "expensive" houses and have "always" been so. Perhaps those people who wanted to just "sell at any price" after the '74 flood may have taken a lesser price than they could have asked before the flood, but in my experience, those people who live "on the river" are usually fairly financially savvy.

I also imagine that if you can afford to buy "on the river" you can probably also afford either flood insurance, or afford to replaster and refit. I know that is a generalisation, but I cannot think of any "river" houses that I could afford, and wonder if I EVER could have afforded one. I don't think so.

I would love to know if anybody else has similar perceptions to me about this as I have never believed that houses "on the river" were EVER cheap. Even now, I cannot imagine someone "giving away" their house because of this flood.

As a comparison, I have also heard the stories (or are they urban myths) about houses on the Sydney Harbour almost being given away after the war when the submarines were in the harbour.

I'm born 81 so no memory or knowledge of the 74 floods in Brisbane (also born and raised in Sydney and down south so no awareness at all in that regard). We checked when we bought up here for flood levels as a matter of course rather than because of a specific occurence. Interestingly enough a lot of the younger guys at work (so born post 74) who own there homes didn't really think of checking even though they're all born and bred qld'ers.

or there will be more competition for the houses in non flood areas (well thats what I am hoping)

However, a lot of the money to purchase usually comes from selling their previous property, which may now be flooded.

I doubt the floods will have any significant effect on prices one way or the other. Especially not for high and dry properties.

Back