Yes, landlords can't stop tenants from drilling holes in the wall

Hi all,

During some IP inspections, our PM mentioned one of our tenants want to drill holes in the wall and install curtain rods. This property was renovated mid last year and I had gotten curtain rods removed and installed blinds. So I was a bit iffy. But then she said laws now state that they will win if I denied this "minor" alteration.

Then we went to the next IP. Saw the tenant had already installed curtain rods in two bedrooms. So I said, those were never there. And the tenant wouldn't say a word. Small stuff I know. But I would expect them to raise this with PM before going ahead and making any changes.

For the ones where tenants are requesting this, I have told the PM, I'm okay for those to be installed on conditions that a) they will pay for it b) they will not remove it when leaving c) get a licenced tradie to install. Once I have this agreement, I can suggest which ones are okay to install (of course I'd be reasonable).

For the second, I emailed the PM to advise the tenants to escalate in future if they want to make any alterations AND they will not be removing them when leaving. I don't want holes left in the skirtings/walls....Given it was all patched and painted when the property was first let....

Anyway, so do you just take it as okay? At least they are looking after the place! And pay rent on time (that's important :p).

Cheers,
MsAli.

I like when pm's put an approval for work to be done in a "trademan like manner".

Given the quality of many trades these days, that means measure once cut three times fill with no more gaps

Whenever I get peeved over a tenant I jack the rent up. Do it straight after your inspection (if you can) so they put two and two together.

Having said that, I am not too fussed about small alterations. Like you said, if they pay on time and look after the place - its OK, relax and have a cuppa.

I like when pm's put an approval for work to be done in a "trademan like manner".

Given the quality of many trades these days, that means measure once cut three times fill with no more gaps

but I asked for a licenced tradie :D

I wouldn't think you could insist on a licences tradie to install a curtain rod :eek:.

I would, however, insist that it be done to a professional standard and perhaps ask for photos to be sent from the tenant. If it is botched, I'd try to get money from the bond when they leave. Maybe attach something to the lease that the tenant signs stating they will leave them there, but I'd want to see the photos anyway.

We've had luck with two lots of tenants who've done their own DIY. One drilled right through the VJ bedroom walls to install a shelf. He paid for it to be filled and painted when he left. Same tenant removed the clothes line. We asked him to pay for a new one from his bond. He was otherwise a great tenant and left the place in good nick.

Another tenant's dog scratched the door. We offered to fill and paint ourselves in exchange for $100 from the bond or for her to do it. She did it herself.

but I asked for a licenced tradie :D

I didn't know "blind installer" was a trade, or is that now one of the disability trades that are offered at TAFE?:cool:

To ask for a tradie to install this is a bit much. (eg. you are suggesting it is okay if a plumber/ bricklayer/ electrician does this as there is no such trade!!)

It is okay however, to ask that they be installed in a professional manner by a carpenter or other suitably experienced person.

Bottom line is that if you did not prior approve, you are within your rights to have them removed and the walls reinstated to their original condition at the end of the lease.

ITo ask for a tradie to install this is a bit much. (eg. you are suggesting it is okay if a plumber/ bricklayer/ electrician does this as there is no such trade!!)

Not too much to ask, licensed tradies will have insurance to cover stuff-ups.

While renovating my IP's laundry I drove a nail through a water pipe. I had to rip off the wall and repair it. Would a tenant have realised they had done damaged and repaired it? If not, they'd have probably complained a couple of weeks later about moisture and mould and asked for a rent reduction.

Be thankful its not Europe where tenants freely paint and hang things where they want, and remove all light fittings and even kitchens when they leave (legally, since they installed them). Last time I rented a place there were wires hanging out everywhere.

Like you said, if they pay on time and look after the place - its OK, relax and have a cuppa.

100% agreed.

If a residential Tenant is going to do this, they are going to do this with or without your approval. You have jack squat say in just about everything as a Landlord anyway Ms Ali, so sit down and relax.

Simply add it to the '8888 list' you'll have to do anyway between your old Tenants leaving and getting it ready for new Tenants.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my Tenants just spent $ 80,000 ripping up my bitumen driveway and installing a weighbridge for road trains right smack bang in the middle of it.

A curtain rod.....seriously, sit down and relax.

100% agreed.

If a residential Tenant is going to do this, they are going to do this with or without your approval. You have jack squat say in just about everything as a Landlord anyway Ms Ali, so sit down and relax.

Simply add it to the '8888 list' you'll have to do anyway between your old Tenants leaving and getting it ready for new Tenants.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my Tenants just spent $ 80,000 ripping up my bitumen driveway and installing a weighbridge for road trains right smack bang in the middle of it.

A curtain rod.....seriously, sit down and relax.

Gotta love those tenants. Make sure you jack the rent up on market review to reflect the new 80k weighbridge installed and when they eventually leave if they don't "make good" hold on to their security deposit.

As for the curtain rod? That's a toughie :D

Last edited:
Side note, but I've often wondered why a lot of landlords don't install picture hooks in walls. It would save so much aggravation.

Or, if a tenant installs them, just let them be when they move out.

MsAli, are you really concerned about a few holes in the walls, or do you just not like the feeling you don't have control?

What's your objective in owning the property?

If you didn't attend the inspection yourself, and got the same information via the PM, would you feel differently?

I believe I would feel the same. I just want the place to be looked after as it would by myself.

Unfortunately not everyone lives as well/cleanly/house proud as you might. Curtain rods are small in the scheme of things, wait till you have an IP trashed like mine, where trades wont even enter the house... you will wish for the worst thing to be curtain rods :)

Dont stress the small things. Leave that for the big things

Hi all,

During some IP inspections, our PM mentioned one of our tenants want to drill holes in the wall and install curtain rods. This property was renovated mid last year and I had gotten curtain rods removed and installed blinds. So I was a bit iffy. But then she said laws now state that they will win if I denied this "minor" alteration.

Then we went to the next IP. Saw the tenant had already installed curtain rods in two bedrooms. So I said, those were never there. And the tenant wouldn't say a word. Small stuff I know. But I would expect them to raise this with PM before going ahead and making any changes.

For the ones where tenants are requesting this, I have told the PM, I'm okay for those to be installed on conditions that a) they will pay for it b) they will not remove it when leaving c) get a licenced tradie to install. Once I have this agreement, I can suggest which ones are okay to install (of course I'd be reasonable).

For the second, I emailed the PM to advise the tenants to escalate in future if they want to make any alterations AND they will not be removing them when leaving. I don't want holes left in the skirtings/walls....Given it was all patched and painted when the property was first let....

Anyway, so do you just take it as okay? At least they are looking after the place! And pay rent on time (that's important :p).

Cheers,
MsAli.

I am not sure where to find a licensed curtain rod installer. Someone with a bachelor of curtains or a Masters in Rods would probably be rather expensive.

It is not the sort of thing which requires licencsing or skills. I am no handyman (cannot operate a hammer), but I managed to install some curtain rob holders the other day. All I did was screw in 2 screws, after watching 22 youtube videos about it. Very easy. The next step is the laying of the rod. I will get to that after more study.

Reactions: Sez
Back