Yes2 - Financial Education for Australia's Youth :) Feedback please!

Just spoke to Lil Sk8r about the WTF. Her thoughts below: (she's can't log in)
My friends would view that as "You think your cool, but your not, old people trying to relate to teens just doesn't work-the whole class will just role there eyes in bordem".
Anytime a teacher trys to relate to younger people or turn around and say they were young once makes them pay less attetion rather than more-so in other words don't try to because it won't work-except for the nerds of course but anything works for them. :D

Hahaha thanks heaps Skater. I guess even being in our early twenties means we are really out of the loop with the teens.

Maybe we have to stop trying so hard to relate and just speak to them like normal people..

Does lil skater have any ideas as to what would be better.. Perhaps just "WHAT is Yes2?"

Hahaha thanks heaps Skater. I guess even being in our early twenties means we are really out of the loop with the teens.

Maybe we have to stop trying so hard to relate and just speak to them like normal people..

Does lil skater have any ideas as to what would be better.. Perhaps just "WHAT is Yes2?"

She probably does. She has views on EVERYTHING. But, she's gone out now with the friends. She used to post here, but can't log in now. We contacted Sim about the problem, but he didn't respond. If you do a search, you will find some of her old posts. She is quite switched on. Her nic is/was Lil Sk8r.

Last edited:
Perhaps just "WHAT is Yes2?"

Sounds good to (an old fart) like me. It's simple, straightforward and doesn't get the wrinklies offside. You might be targeting the site at youth, but it's the oldies (ie: the ones with the money and power to make decisions) you need to keep onside.

Mark

My friends would view that as "You think your cool, but your not, old people trying to relate to teens just doesn't work-the whole class will just role there eyes in bordem".

I'd second that.

Also, I wasn't going to post this when I first read the thread yesterday, and I'll probably get bagged for it, but I'm going to say it anyway. I would be careful if you plan on telling them them about your personal experiences.

Kids aren't always impressed by what they hear, if only because of their attitude. So whilst it's not a good idea to send someone in there who is 40 and has 50 properties and says "look at me, you can do it too..." ie. totally out of reach of the normal persons grasp. By the same note the opposite also holds true. I wouldn't send someone in there who is 25 and has 2 properties. Kids may think "yeah, so what, big deal!"

So by all means, the lessons etc. are a great idea - but be cautious before you relate your own personal stories, depending on who you use to teach the classes.

My GF says I'm quite immature at times :rolleyes:, which would bring me back to teenage level - so believe me when I tell you that this will be the way a lot of kids will think.

This thread is making me feel really old.:eek: But if James and Shonnie are beginning to feel old too I feel slightly better.

Hi lil sk8er here again.

Very true Shonnie. You may not be out of touch with teens completely, but if you try to relate you'll look old and boring. Just because adults are adults and we are still teens doesn't mean we are slow-you can speak to us like we are adults you know?!

Think back to when you were a teen - whether it be 5 or 25 years ago - didn't you hate it how adults and teachers thought you weren't as intelligent as them or that just because you are 16 17 that you're still young, we may be young and learning but you don't have to talk to us like you were us once (even though you were, yes we hate do addmit).

And Sailor not every kid likes jam...Oh yeah and we aren't kids!!

HELLO?? We are almost adults here and we are stubborn and want to be treated like an equal, even if you don't want to listen to the teachers jargon. :D

With going into the schools to educate the students its very true you can't have an old guy with dozens of properties because once again you get rolling of eyes and then the occasional "Rich ba$tards get outta here". With this the students will also be like well its just too hard how am i meant to build a portfolio like that?

Whereas if you send a young guy in saying they have 2 it's no big deal. BUT you can't have the same age person go in and tell them about their dozens of properties either or the students are going to think that they were well off to begin with and mum and dad bought half of it for them.

What i would do if you are sending an individual into a school don't go into grave detail about your personal portofolio, you want to encourage these kids - some will take it in and others won't, but you're going to get that no matter what. Or even leave the personal portfolio until the end, so if someone does ask a question about it you can answer and give your own opinion without pushing information or complicated strategies into their brain.

You have on the site K.I.S.S Keep It Simple Stupid...how about trying that strategy, but not too simple.

Yes us teens are a complicated bunch :) but we've all been there, so think about your teenage years and what you thought of you own teachers etc. and what you would think about this program if it were you the information is trying to reach.

But most of all DO NOT TRY TO RELATE.

Hope that helps a bit
Cheers lil sk8er.

Once again lil sk8er.

Just had a quick look at the site again and some criticism for you guys:

First of all unless you wanna lose your entire profolio getting sued by optus i'd get rid of the yes sign ASAP.

Also i looked at that and went blah, blah, blah...C'mon ive been around this sort of things for many many years now and i would have no idea about half the stuff you're talking about.
In Whose Name? Is a small link in there, if you haven't read it do so now. You say that you are trying to dumb it down for us but at this age does it look like we care about trusts?? Nope.

This site is very complex for us teens and as well as this in SC and HSC years we don't need to remeber even more information, it needs to be something we don't need to study - not something we are going to be bombarded with and have our brains about to burst with all the information.

Tipping Point by Michael Whyte. You are very smart and you've written some great information, but..

I define the tipping point premium as the minimum premium in percentage points that an owner occupier is willing to pay in order to buy a house rather than continue to rent. The Premium (P) is a measure of the difference between the Home Loan interest rate (HL), and the rental Yield (Y) on properties. i.e.:

PRate = HLRate - YRate ; and
PTipping Point Rate(TPR) = (HLRate – YRate) = 0.0%, hypothesis.

WTF??????? Need i say more.

I agree with categorising the site eg. Beginners could be year 10, Intermediate year 11 and Advanced year 12. Be logical.

Lil sk8er.

PS - We had comments about the old logo looking to optus like - then we changed it. I don't think it looks like optus anymore..

Congrats on the site as well, hope it all plays out well for you.

I have to say though, I clicked on the link in the first post and imediatly thought Optus as well.

But hey, your site, keep up the good work

Dave

I wonder if you need to remember the excitement many felt when they read Rich Dad Poor Dad or a had a jan Somers book and had a light bulb moment.

Perhaps when we are further down the track we forget those really basic ideas concepts that you have to grasp before you can really get going on a wealth creation road.

Why some people never have any money no matter how much they earn.

The magic of compound interest.

That its cheaper to buy an investment property than your own home - and you are then free to live where ever you like.

Why buying a house or shares is better than a term deposit (most of the time)

Power of living at home - make the most of it!

The trap of buying things on credit card at sales.

I also think its really powerful to draw the information out of the "audience" rather than be the know-it-all-lecturer up the front. If people are actively particiapting they are more likely to be engaged and to absorb the information. You might feel like you have covered less ground but they will have absorbed more. The cashflow game would work well for this purpose as would writing goals.

I am amazed at our much our little daughter is learning in preps and she thinks that she is playing games all day. You learn so much more when having fun.

one tiny suggestion, heading "Excuse me sir, wtf is Yes2?" is the first text that users read and has a couple problems - great big "sir" authority figure will put kids off and great big "wtf" will put teachers and parents off.
Keep the parents onside- also change Dale's remark about being scared s**less, for all the reasons already mentioned.

I've been talking to some staff members just recently out of home, and also to my daughter in the same situation.

My thoughts, from what I've read in Yes2 so far, is that it doesn't start quite basic enough. The site is good, and it is aiming at some very good stuff.

The intro starts with "Before we can even think about generating wealth, we need to get the basics right."

That may well have turned off 90% of the target audience straight off.

They don't want to generate wealth. Somersoftians do. But young people just want to live it up- and mostly, live within their means.

And most need to learn some real basics just about surviving on their income.

Many are struggling just to live within their means in a consumer society.

I've had 18yos at home buying a huge plasma TV for their bedroom.

Even apart from surviving, there's some other financial basics.

Like, "hang onto your payslips". And "hang onto your group certificates. For 7 yeays, like". And "keep all receipts used for tax for 7 years".

As basic as this seems, I've just mentioned this to a 20yo employee who has been working for me for a few years. She is a uni student- but she was open mouthed.

"Why didn't anybody tell us this stuff at school?"

This particular employee, and my daughter, have been struggling with managing within their expenses. Both have been learning for the first time that you cannot survive by buying what you want first, and then buying the necessities on the small amount left over.

My quick thoughts

I think it depends on what exactly you're trying to achieve.... I know it sounds obvious but at the moment it seems a little bit about motivation and a little bit about information. Do you envisage it as a one off presentation to a group of students to get them thinking? (motivational) Where they're made to go. Or 5 seperate 'classes' about 'how to get rich' (informational) where they choose to be there? Whether someone has chosen to attend is clearly important in how to pitch it.

Secondly, I think it will probably be important to try to come up with real world examples of how they get started NOW. I'm sure you've thought of this already but I can just see many of the students sitting there thinking.... I dont' need to worry about this now, this is for 'old people'.

Great work so far. Look forward to seeing is develop.

Once again lil sk8er.

Just had a quick look at the site again and some criticism for you guys:

Also i looked at that and went blah, blah, blah...C'mon ive been around this sort of things for many many years now and i would have no idea about half the stuff you're talking about.
In Whose Name? Is a small link in there, if you haven't read it do so now. You say that you are trying to dumb it down for us but at this age does it look like we care about trusts?? Nope.

This site is very complex for us teens and as well as this in SC and HSC years we don't need to remeber even more information, it needs to be something we don't need to study - not something we are going to be bombarded with and have our brains about to burst with all the information.

Tipping Point by Michael Whyte. You are very smart and you've written some great information, but..

WTF??????? Need i say more.

I agree with categorising the site eg. Beginners could be year 10, Intermediate year 11 and Advanced year 12. Be logical.

Lil sk8er.

OK, not quoting myself, but my daughter here. What she is saying makes sence. She has had investing drummed into her for going on 10 years now, so is streets ahead of the target audience.

Maybe Shonnie, because both you & James are young yourselves & are both passionate about this project, you are trying too hard to teach them too much. Did either of you sit down with the parents of kids/young people who are actively either investing or working towards it to find out how they were able to steer them in the right direction. Thinking of examples from the forum we have Kristine. I believe all her kids started young. Then their is Mish Mash, I can't remember who her parents are, but they are forum members. There are a few others, that I can't quite remember at the moment. Then there is my own kids, who are a little younger than the other examples.

I think you will find in most cases of young people investing (where they have investor parents), the desire to invest has come from many years of the parents slowly molding their thinking & actively talking to them & explaining how things work. I'll use my own kids as examples here, as I know them better than others & I know how I have guided them.

First, the eldest. She has been working part-time for many years. She was 10 years of age when she earnt her first wages, working at our skating rink. When she started work, I told her that she would save half of her income, minimum. Not negotiable. This money was not to be touched until she was 18 & then it could be used to purchase an asset, not frittered away.

Fast forward to today, she is 18, still works part-time, plus has a traineeship. She has a deposit for her first home, but her income is not large enough yet to service the debt. She found herself a little place & even talked to my broker about it, but she is stuggling under her low income for the time being.

The youngest. She has also been working for the same length of time as her sister. She was 8 when she drew her first wages. Same deal as her sister.

Fast forward, she also has a healthy nest egg, although it is still some time before she can access it.

For the last 10 years, they have participated in talks at home about investing, saving, good debt/bad debt, wants verses needs etc. They know that a car (which is what most teens aspire to) is a total waste of money. They also know the difference between positive/negative gearing & understand tax deductability & a bit about depreciation.

It has not all been plain sailing. Neither of them wanted to save at first, the youngest still sometimes gets cranky that she can't spend it on whatever she wants, but they both understand what they have.

The average high school kid is going to come from various different backgrounds. Some have part-time jobs, some don't. Some have Austudy/Youth Allowance, some don't. Some have parents that are long term unemployed, some come from wealthy households. What most of them have in common is that nobody teaches them the basics of how to handle their money.

I believe that the most important thing to teach them is the real basics & it needs to be fun. Especially important for those who come from lower incomes is to teach that ANYONE can get ahead. They just need a few simple tools.

At the end of the day, even if all you acheive is to help guide a handful of them (out of every class) to start saving for their future, & understand the traps that credit cards & interest free loans can be & give them a belief that they can better their own situation, then you have been a huge success.

There is truely some gems written on your site, but they are way too complex at this early stage.

It still looks like Optus. You need to change the font to something completely different IMHO.

Not sure what it looked like before, but the one on there now still looks exactly like Optus. Same font, and same format ie. all small caps.

Attachments

• optus.gif
    optus.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 202
Back