Yet another Brisbane thread... $650k budget

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for yet another Brisbane thread. Hoping for insights to point me in the right direction as I currently feel a tad lost.

Current circumstances
- Aged: 25 to 30
- Short term goal: Build equity
- Long term goal: financial freedom
- Budget: $650k, perhaps $700k?

I'm looking for short / medium capital growth to expand my portfolio and increase my overall equity position. At the same time I'm looking for decent yield as I don't want to hit serviceability issues.

Hoping to purchase one or maybe two IP's in the next 3 months and utilize my equity. I live in Sydney and my knowledge about the Brisbane market is limited to what I've read on this forum and media.

My key two questions are
- What top 5 suburbs should I be keeping an eye on with my budget / goal.
- Due to my limited knowledge, should I be using a buyers agent?

Thank you!

What have the other threads told you so far, have you read them?

You have limited knowledge, what research have you done what has it told you, why Brisbane?

My key two questions are

Having recently bought my first IP in Brisbane (settles next week), I suggest you do what you can to educate yourself on the market and popular suburbs for investors.

Also - other than yield and capital growth, what characteristics of a property do you think will make it a good investment? Teach yourself some of these things first as it will help with the buying process.

Buyers agents help if you are time poor for buying interstate. I used one. I think it's important that if you go down this path, you treat it as a teamwork exercise. Use their guidance but also bounce ideas with them based on your own research.

Prior to and during the search process I was easily spending 2-3 hours a day on research and building knowledge. Perhaps 4 hrs once the search got underway, reviewing listings, calculating cashflow scenarios for different properties, etc, etc.

I think it's important that if you go down this path, you treat it as a teamwork exercise. Use their guidance but also bounce ideas with them based on your own research.

Prior to and during the search process I was easily spending 2-3 hours a day on research and building knowledge. Perhaps 4 hrs once the search got underway, reviewing listings, calculating cashflow scenarios for different properties, etc, etc.

This seems like the right approach. Being very proactive. If you just hire a BA and expect to be able to switch your brain off then it won't work well, I would think anyway.

What have the other threads told you so far, have you read them?

You have limited knowledge, what research have you done what has it told you, why Brisbane?

Suburbs that I keep seeing constantly are probably.. Woodridge, Slacks Creek, Wynnum, deception bay, Sunnybank

Having recently bought my first IP in Brisbane (settles next week), I suggest you do what you can to educate yourself on the market and popular suburbs for investors.

Also - other than yield and capital growth, what characteristics of a property do you think will make it a good investment? Teach yourself some of these things first as it will help with the buying process.

Buyers agents help if you are time poor for buying interstate. I used one. I think it's important that if you go down this path, you treat it as a teamwork exercise. Use their guidance but also bounce ideas with them based on your own research.

Thanks Wombat, can I ask - if you were to do it again. Would you use a BA again?
I spent close to 6 months in Sydney finding my last IP and couldn't imagine going through the same thing interstate.

Suburbs that I keep seeing constantly are probably.. Woodridge, Slacks Creek, Wynnum, deception bay, Sunnybank

Ignore the last one. You've probably only heard it from me, I'm the only one around here that harps on about it:) No one else seems to be interested in the area!

They're all very different suburbs with different demographics and price entry points. The cost of a mansion in Woodridge might get you a slum in Sunnybank.

Seachange not doing his job of late about Manly and Teneriffe :p
Cliff, you've been remiss, abovementioned suburbs not rolling off newbies tongues and being etched in their memory indelibly. :D

You did get him/her to recite Wynnum by heart, I give you that! :)

Hoping for insights to point me in the right direction as I currently feel a tad lost.

first off welcome to SS.

What and where to buy is dependent upon your chosen investment strategy.

You see property is merely the vehicle. The strategy is how you intend driving that vehicle.

Unfortunately the mistake I see newbies and sometimes not so newbies is that they are property focused instead of strategy focused which is like putting the cart before the horse.

Property investing is not about property rather about the strategy and the way you intend to use the vehicle to get to where you are wanting to go. No good buying a small shopping car if you intend driving interstate on a family holiday.

What strategy/s are best for you is determined by where you are wanting to go, the time frame you want to get there in and how hands on along the way you want to be - all based around your personal risk profile.

If you dont know what you are looking for all property's will appear the same. Thus the confusion and frustration.

I hope this provides some food for thought.

What is your chosen investment strategy?

Thanks Wombat, can I ask - if you were to do it again. Would you use a BA again?
I spent close to 6 months in Sydney finding my last IP and couldn't imagine going through the same thing interstate.

Yes - I would use a BA again. If I use the same BA I will get a 10% discount.

first off welcome to SS.

What and where to buy is dependent upon your chosen investment strategy.

You see property is merely the vehicle. The strategy is how you intend driving that vehicle.

Unfortunately the mistake I see newbies and sometimes not so newbies is that they are property focused instead of strategy focused which is like putting the cart before the horse.

Property investing is not about property rather about the strategy and the way you intend to use the vehicle to get to where you are wanting to go. No good buying a small shopping car if you intend driving interstate on a family holiday.

What strategy/s are best for you is determined by where you are wanting to go, the time frame you want to get there in and how hands on along the way you want to be - all based around your personal risk profile.

If you dont know what you are looking for all property's will appear the same. Thus the confusion and frustration.

I hope this provides some food for thought.

What is your chosen investment strategy?

Hi Rixter,

Any tips on narrowing down on strategies? How would one work through and come to discover the best strategy to reaching their goal? I'm happy to read through any links/threads but I haven't come across much (maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing in the wrong places?).

I think like most people I'd like to be rich, which to me is having good progressive cashflow in 30 years time. I am looking to buy my first property (IP) in Brisbane in the next month and so CG would be priority for it. As it's an interstate purchase I'd be looking to buy and hold without being too hands on and renovating. I don't think this is really a 'strategy'. It feels very broad and loose. What are the next sets of questions I need to ask myself to fine tune my strategy?

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for yet another Brisbane thread. Hoping for insights to point me in the right direction as I currently feel a tad lost.

Current circumstances

I'm looking for short / medium capital growth to expand my portfolio and increase my overall equity position. At the same time I'm looking for decent yield as I don't want to hit serviceability issues.

Hoping to purchase one or maybe two IP's in the next 3 months and utilize my equity. I live in Sydney and my knowledge about the Brisbane market is limited to what I've read on this forum and media.

My key two questions are

Thank you!

There will be a fair amount of choice.for cg suburbs with that money in brisbane. If you are green, then a BA will be a.wise option.
They will also be able to guide your suburbs and property selection based on more.detailed requirements.

Hi all,

Current circumstances

My key two questions are

Thank you!

Without knowing too much about your strategy etc, I would be looking within 12km from the CBD. A house. Not new. Something you can add value to. And try to buy it at a good price. Although time is running out.

Hey mate, good to see someone else in their mid 20's getting involved in property investing! My goals are this: buy properties that are CF+ no matter what. I don't buy properties based on speculation of CG. I believe that buying at the right time you are going to make CG as long as you buy near highways ect.

Places to look out for based on my professional experience in the area:

Loganlea. This place has millions being pumped into it from governments. Major hospital, university, heaps of money pouring in there. It is being turned into a mini CBD for the area. Surrounding suburbs also benefit from this place.

Marsden. If you weren't looking at this place 2 years ago you are now. Huge blocks recently rezoned into suburban lots from acerage lots. I am loving this area.

Logan Central & Woodridge. Gone are the days of buying a place here for 220k. You might still be able to get one at 260k though. Do that, build a 2 bedroom granny flat for 120k all expenses accounted for (turn key, driveway, fencing, carport, the lot) and make around $330/week rent for the main place and $280 for the G/flat. Look at the damn disparity between this suburb and underwood for crying out loud!

Kingston. Really popular amongst investors. Probably still has a ways to move in all honesty. Some of my mates have made 40k CG last year alone in it though. I wouldn't be buying here anymore unless you got a real bargain.

Tanah Merah. The hidden gem. Have a look at this place. This and Loganholme are VERY interesting. My dad calls Tanah Merah the hidden gem. We recently picked up a block here 1000m2 for 200k, built a double income property and current rent is $980/week.

Eagleby. You couldn't build granny flats here before because it was under GCCC planning scheme despite being a LCC property. Its pretty interesting here, its sort of similar to Logan Central but a bit more 'hidden'.

I live in this area and have been investing, learning and watching. Look at the median prices for the suburbs: Rochedale, Springwod, Underwood. Then have a look at Slacks Creek, Woodridge, Kingston, Daisy Hill. Right next door to each other. HUGE difference in price.

Like I said, aim for CF+ investments, but if you want to talk about % CG increases then these suburbs are super interesting.

My next two for this coming financial year will be in any of these 10 mentioned suburbs, probably Kingston, Woodridge or Slacks Creek. But thats just me.

Wow, thanks for the responses everyone.
Few suburbs that have popped up that I've added to my list to look into.

In terms of strategy, I'd be looking at buying and holding. Not looking to make a quick dollar by flipping etc. But short/medium capital growth is key as I'd like to expand my portfolio. I would never look at moving into the property at any stage, so the numbers is all that matters.

My last purchase was a house in Western Sydney where I can manufacture equity if required (hopefully). Would like to replicate this if possible in QLD without make any major mistakes. However, I'd like to make a move fast and utilize my equity.. hence this thread!

LeoT - Would you care to name a few recommended suburbs within the 12km radius?

MWDB - thanks a lot for your input!

Wow, thanks for the responses everyone.
Few suburbs that have popped up that I've added to my list to look into.

In terms of strategy, I'd be looking at buying and holding. Not looking to make a quick dollar by flipping etc. But short/medium capital growth is key as I'd like to expand my portfolio. I would never look at moving into the property at any stage, so the numbers is all that matters.

My last purchase was a house in Western Sydney where I can manufacture equity if required (hopefully). Would like to replicate this if possible in QLD without make any major mistakes. However, I'd like to make a move fast and utilize my equity.. hence this thread!

LeoT - Would you care to name a few recommended suburbs within the 12km radius?

MWDB - thanks a lot for your input!

No worries mate, like I said: if you buy at the right time in the property cycle, CG will just happen naturally. Aim for cashflow so you can snowball your investments.

Back