Yet another landlord insurance question - this time with a twist

Hello fellow Landlord's, received this question last week, anyone offer any feedback?

Hi, I am trying to find out if an insurance company exists that has a maintenence cover policy.
Say for leaks for example that you are unaware of that damage plaster etc. This may be coming from a shower base, shower tiled wall or a water pipe that can not be seen that may be leaking.

Regards Simon from VIC

My understanding is that these days insurers will not cover any bathroom leaks.

I'll watch this thread with interest.

My understanding is that these days insurers will not cover any bathroom leaks.

I'll watch this thread with interest.

In a way you can understand insurers doing that where it is not obligatory for builders to meet as a bare minimum, the BCA, Australian Standards and manufacturers installation guidelines. All care and no responsibility and the government BSAs are diplomats.

Son's tiling job was $3,300. BSA will not become involved unless it is "over" $3,300. I guess that is why the quote was $3,300 :rolleyes:.

But a relative who used to work in the insurance industry says he believes no shower leaks are covered these days. I know they used to be, because we made a claim in this house about 12 years ago.

From a policy:

'But we do not cover wear and tear, or loss
or damage caused by the escape of liquid
occurring as a result of a gradual process
of bursting, leaking, splashing, dripping or
overflowing over a period of time when you
could reasonably be expected to be aware of this condition'

Another,

'Water leaking from a shower recess or base not covered'

Did the builder (tiler) comply with Australian Standard 3740 though? If he didn't it is up to the owner to prove evidence of failure. It is not sufficient to prove that he didn't comply with the Standard in construction, you would have to show evidence of damage and prove the cause.

That fact limits the worth of the BSA to homeowners (and to the quality trades who have to compete with those who short-cut).

Hmmmmm thanks guys, I figured as much, my research showed much the same. Appreciate your time, let me know if you find / think of anything else relevant.
Love ya work :)

Back