You ever listed a bad tenant with TICA?

I had a bad tenant in Qld whom I evicted due to non payment of rent and water, and it turns out he's trashed the property as well.

Even after NRMA paid for lost rent and malicious damage (capped at 10K), I'm still out of pocket by 5K. :mad:

I'm thinking of going to the tribunal. However, don't like my chances as I don't have forwarding address. I do have the phone number of the person that he subcontracts for... And found him on Facebook.

Planning to blacklist him with TICA. Has anyone ever gone thru this process?

Cheers,
Dreamgirl

Hi dreamgirl,

Sorry to hear and no i haven't been through the process.

Good luck and hope you get the tenant blacklisted.

Seeing the bum is on face*palm*book,have you tried getting the address via FB?

IE:Makeup account with a pretty picture etc and wheel him in.

If you cbf-PM the FB and i'll see what i can do.

Cheers Spades.

I hadn't even been aware before I checked the website that it's possible for people who aren't real estate agents to be able to list or search, for the appropriate fee.

I've always had PMs do tenant vetting so I haven't needed to search or lodge.

It appears to be a simple process

Hi dreamgirl, I haven't done it myself but have had many clients go through the process with relative ease, you have to pay to lodge them or become a member but it's only a small amount. The good thing is it will greatly increase your chances of getting you money back as it's very hard for tenants to get a new property with a TICA listing.

Good luck

Hi dreamgirl, I haven't done it myself but have had many clients go through the process with relative ease, you have to pay to lodge them or become a member but it's only a small amount. The good thing is it will greatly increase your chances of getting you money back as it's very hard for tenants to get a new property with a TICA listing.

Good luck
It's one of the downfalls of self managing. People with a TICA listing have to go private- and I suspect not many self managers look in TICA.

I've seen it happen with past employees.

It's one of the downfalls of self managing. People with a TICA listing have to go private- and I suspect not many self managers look in TICA.

I've seen it happen with past employees.

Spot on. We get tenants calling us years later saying they are sick of having to rent privately and want to get their names removed. Very important for self managers to do a TICA check.

I wouldn't mind doing the physical side of debt collection ie : on the road,door to door,not in a call center.

I'm gunna go.0gle search.

Last edited:
I actually inherited this tenant from the property manager.
Wasn't doing their job properly which is why I decided to self-manage in the first place.
I'm a member of TICA now. Wasn't aware until this incident that self-managers can become members.

Do you know the name of his subcontracting company? If so you can do a company search and get the address of the company which is probably also his address :D

I'm not exactly sure how it works in Qld but I had a similar situation in Victoria and took it to VCAT (Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal) where I had an order awarded in my favour, my tenant has unfortunately been a lot harder to find than yours but if you know where they work you can have them served there.

Unfortunately we are about to go to VCAT again for another tenant (different property) who has skipped out on rent and left damages.

Yeah, have certainly put quite a few tenants on TICA.

You love what happened at QCAT though regarding this........

Logged a tenant who owed over $2k. Went to court. Court said they had to pay. So all was great until the judge said now. Take them off TICA.

I was ... what the ..... He said the poor single mum was just having a hard time and that she wouldn't be able to rent again if she was on TICA so take her off so she can find somewhere to rent...

I couldn't believe it. Isn't that the whole point of TICA .... a deterrent .. I should have checked TICA a year later, who wants a bet has now put her on ... LOL

You love what happened at QCAT though regarding this........

Logged a tenant who owed over $2k. Went to court. Court said they had to pay. So all was great until the judge said now. Take them off TICA.

:mad: incredible.
It should stay there for however many years, but with a notation to say they did pay up

So the tenant is now listed with TICA.
I flew up to Qld on Thursday to inspect the 'restoration' work (after malicious damage.)
Found some paperwork that the cleaner must have unearthed!
Amongst the paperwork was a Centrelink letter addressed to his partner with an old address, which I'm hoping is her mother's house.
Maybe I could use this info when I go to QCAT.
Problem is her name wasn't on the lease!

Ha ha!!
My assistant created a new FB account with a hot bikey babe photo :p
She sent a request to add him to which he replied 'Who's this'?
She didn't get very far on Friday. But it's only early days...

Do you know the name of his subcontracting company? If so you can do a company search and get the address of the company which is probably also his address :D

Atm, we only have his first name and mobile no.
Searching his Facebook to see if the employer is a FB friend.

Ha ha!!
My assistant created a new FB account with a hot bikey babe photo :p
She sent a request to add him to which he replied 'Who's this'?
She didn't get very far on Friday. But it's only early days...

I wouldn't make it so obvious. Using an outrageous photo will only cause suspicion. I get friend requests from time to time and instantly know if it's illegitimate (spam or otherwise).

Back