You know what you can do

Opened up the CBA website this morning to do some Banking online, and right in front of me on the top of the home page was a large banner saying we can donate to the Red Cross Vanuatu relief appeal through their website...gee thanks.

CBA makes how many $billion profit each year, and the frickin Board of Directors make how much each per year?

They can donate on my behalf, or donate $2 for every one of our dollars, and then I might think about it.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Would you prefer them to take the banner down and instead replace it with some sort of credit card advertisement that will earn them money?

Would you prefer them to take the banner down and instead replace it with some sort of credit card advertisement that will earn them money?
LOL! that's the normal thing.

I would prefer them to re-word the ad with their pledge to commit a dollar for dollar donation - at the very least.

Opened up the CBA website this morning to do some Banking online, and right in front of me on the top of the home page was a large banner saying we can donate to the Reed Cross Vanuatu relief appeal through their website...gee thanks.

CBA makes how many $billion profit each year, and the frickin Board of Directors make how much each per year?

They can donate on my behalf, or donate $2 for every one of our dollars, and then I might think about it.

Rant over.

I agree with you. You sound like a leftie now Bayview.

LOL! that's the normal thing.

I would prefer them to re-word the ad with their pledge to commit a dollar for dollar donation - at the very least.

I guess they are indirectly donating by foregoing the advertisement money they would be getting if they didn't advertise for the relief appeal but for some credit card instead...

Or they could advertise for the credit card and donate all the money they would make from it.

Well at least they are doing something :)

Cheers
Andrew

Opened up the CBA website this morning to do some Banking online, and right in front of me on the top of the home page was a large banner saying we can donate to the Reed Cross Vanuatu relief appeal through their website...gee thanks.

Rant over.

sometimes I think that too,

you are making such a huge profit and you are relying on small people to donate the $1 so you might get to $100k in donations, when you guys probably make that in an hour

Rant over.

Good man. I totally agree with you in this :)

Should every mum and dad's super be forced to donate to a charity through redirected profits?

At what point does it end? Should they have to provide co-donations for every campaign, or just pull it all together?

A private company can do as they please, but fundamentally a publically listed company is to provide the maximum return to their shareholders as possible.

They are being a good corporate citizen in providing their advertising space to help this charity and indirectly benefit from the goodwill it represents - great. Any more however and you have to ask yourself where it ends, and whether the corporates are keeping the shareholders best interests at heart.

This argument is ridiculous!

It is the Directors duty to make money for shareholders. If the shareholders want to donate money they can probably do that themselves. Keep in mind that most generic Aus super funds have a fair chunk of average aussie workers money invested in bank shares. This is why the anger at bank profits is always amusing. The same people who are complaining are actually beneficiaries of the profits.

People complain about bank profits due to there size - billions. In real terms they actually provide a very low ROE.

Not sure I understand this thread. Is this latest whinge (in a very long line of whinges) about the bank encouraging people to make donations?

Interesting piece here (especially the comments section as always).

I'd never heard the term Chuggers (Charity Muggers) before, though I guess we've all experienced some at the shops at one point or another. Well them and the ladies trying to tackle you for kids photos if you are wandering around the shops with a child

Charity and giving, how much and what irks you about charities

So, wealthy or not, what?s your take on giving? How do you do it, how often, is there anything that charities do that make you keep your change?

Comments from a random poster

Confession time... During my last year of uni I got a part time job as a telefundraiser at one of those companies that calls people on behalf of established charities and asks you to up your donation. They also organised the 'chuggers' that go and accost people on the street. Yeah, I'm not proud. However, I do wish to clear up some common misconceptions about the industry.

1. THEY DO NOT GET COMMISSION! I don't care what anyone else has told you, I was never paid a cent in commission or bonuses for any 'sales' I made. Like everyone else, I was paid a flat rate (minimum wage). The company had a high staff turnover and were ruthless in letting go employees who didn't make targets. Our only financial reward was not getting fired.

2. THEY ARE NOT ALL BACKPACKERS. Sure, many of my colleagues were, but many were also fresh altruistic university grads or current uni students, who admired the charities they were collecting for and had a good knowledge of the work that they did.

3. THERE IS A REASON FOR IT. Charities prefer to receive set monthly donations simply because it allows them to budget better and plan their projects knowing that there will be funds to cover them. This is a lot easier to do when you have a guaranteed monthly income rather than waiting on spontaneous giving. Sorry.

Cont....

Meanwhile, I decided to check out the CBA page today.

The first banner is offering $5 donations paid to Clown Doctors charity for every person who posts a selfie tagging the charity to grow it's exposure.

Evil Corporations!

So Bayview, Property girl, LibGS etc - why not help a good cause:

https://www.commbank.com.au/about-u...tainability:community:community:clown-doctors

Don't forget to post your selfies here too to encourage other SS'ers to take up the offer!

Thanks for pointing that out. I donated, but without the selfie.

Not sure I understand this thread. Is this latest whinge (in a very long line of whinges) about the bank encouraging people to make donations?
It was just a whinge about how they want us lowly PAYE donkeys to stump up our own hard-earned money, yet they haven't offered to donate any of their own squillions of profit dollars...

I guess they are indirectly donating by foregoing the advertisement money they would be getting if they didn't advertise for the relief appeal but for some credit card instead...

Or they could advertise for the credit card and donate all the money they would make from it.

Well at least they are doing something :)

Cheers
Andrew
Yeah, generous, I guess..

New concept; generous Bank.

Just to recap; they made over a billion dollars PROFIT at last declaration.

They want US to donate and they haven't offered to.

They are doing ZIP for that cause.

Just to recap; they made over a billion dollars PROFIT at last declaration.

They want US to donate and they haven't offered to.

They are doing ZIP.

So we're all to assume you took a selfie then?

Mine will be happening tomorrow, branch is dressing up in support of the clown doctors and raising money. I'll get my selfie up so bank can donate $5. Just one of the charities that we take time out of our day to try and support. Another one to mention was the BBQ cooked up last year to raise money for testicular cancer. Others for breast cancer, list goes on really. This is all done during work hours were my time could be spent bringing in $$$ in revenue for the bank.

Back