young couple applied for house

hey all nick here.

after 2 weeks some one has applied for the house. and to my concern its a young couple. they are are 20 and 19 and have a baby. this really concerns me and after ding some FB stalking i found them and looking at there page was really concerning.

they have no rental history aswell., has anyone taken the plunge and given someone a chance?

all advice and comments welcome

Nick.

Hi Nick

I've taken a chance with a few young couples without previous rental histories over the last two years and happy to report that all have been excellent tenants.

Are you self managing or is a PM looking after it?

Cheers

Jamie

hmmm.....ok - it's not sounding too good.

Does the payslip have an ABN? Do a search online to make sure the employer exists.

Ask them if they're willing to provide bank statements showing direct salary credits over the last 3 months or so as well (I don't know if it's breaching privacy laws or not).

If in doubt - then hold out for more suitable applicants.

Cheers

Jamie

the payslip has no abn but the credit is in the banks statement. but is deducting alot of cash from account

I'd wait a little bit longer then and see if a more suitable applicant applies.

If they can't prove they can afford it - ie have rental references from parents stating they they paid equivalent in board etc then I'd be wary of them.

some times they just need a chance. It doesnt matter who you rent the place to you are always taking a risk. Maybe get them to give references from upstanding people in there community that may know them as in church or along those lines.

:)

You outsource the management of your rental to a PM yet you have to make management decisions?

Get their parents to consign. Why didn't the PM already suggest this?

Where is your property located? 2 weeks and only 1 application. I'm assuming this is something at a lower price point?

I must admit that I have never looked at FB before to assess potential tenants but then I leave this up to my PM to do her job and recommend and then I just approve.

As per my previous post, your PM should be making recommendations for you based on their experience and his/her dealings with the applicants i.e how did they present themselves

Age shouldn't be a factor if they can look after the place and pay rent on time. I remember being that age as a Uni student and was fortunate that I never had any issues securing a lease. We took very good care of the property! I can only assume with a baby there won't be wild parties, my only concern would be if they can afford the rent but you have options to mitigate this (prepay some rent, guarantor etc).

You outsource the management of your rental to a PM yet you have to make management decisions?

Get their parents to consign. Why didn't the PM already suggest this?

We had a couple of young girls rent a a unit off us a number of years ago, both 18 first time renters, so we got one of the parents to co-sign, we also had contact numbers for these parents

No real dramas and when they eventually left, the place was spotless

I agree with the recommendations about getting parents to co-sign, and asking for more rent in advance if you're worried about whether they can pay the rent.
What about references from high school teachers, or having the PM call their previous high school for a reference?

2 weeks on the market and only 1 application in a tight rental market? I am wondering what is wrong with your property? Might be worthwhile to consider location, condition, pricing, marketing?

Back