Young Investor Meetup

Hi guys,

Just throwing an idea out there - not sure on it's feasibility yet. I reckon it would be great to have a meetup of Under 30's investors in Sydney at some stage in the future. Whether the idea is doable or not depends on how many expressions of interest we have.

So, thoughts?

Regards,
Steve

Will there be investment experience requirements? If you just get a bunch of newbies together, isn't it just the blind leading the blind?

Will there be investment experience requirements? If you just get a bunch of newbies together, isn't it just the blind leading the blind?

Ideally, there should be a mix. You would need investors who already have substantial portfolios and experiences to make it worthwhile. Getting people like yourself, Nathan, JamesGG etc.

I'd be up for this. In fact I've yet to attend a Sydney SS meetup at all - the current ones are out of my area. (I believe skater organises one in St Marys and there's another one in Chatswood)

Whereabouts are you thinking of having it, Stephen?

I agree that it would be good to have a mix of investment experience too so it's not the blind leading the blind!

Last edited:
I'd be up for this. In fact I've yet to attend a Sydney SS meetup at all - the current ones are out of my area. (I believe skater organises one in St Marys and there's another one in Chatswood)

Whereabouts are you thinking of having it, Stephen?

I agree that it would be good to have a mix of investment experience too so it's not the blind leading the blind!

I'm at Castle Hill, by I think it'd be best having a look at where all the interested parties are in Sydney, and then finding a place that is the epicentre of that. Only fair way I think (provided people don't mind travelling). You have to set a date where you see how many people are there, where they come from, plot them on a map, and go from there.

In terms of the other question, the whole point of a 'young investor' meetup is to mingle with like minded people of around your own age. Even under 40 is still considered 'young' in investment terms. There would have to be a consensus on what the age limit is, but I'm definitely happy to push it up, for sure.

Steve

Mate, my suggestion is to just organise a general meet up, in a varied location that's open to all ages.
I've only been to the Chatswood meet ups but there has been a variety of ages, and experiences show up to have a pub dinner, a few beers and just chat.
Always good value and new faces to get to know, as well as some regulars who are great to pick ideas from.

Mate, my suggestion is to just organise a general meet up, in a varied location that's open to all ages.
I've only been to the Chatswood meet ups but there has been a variety of ages, and experiences show up to have a pub dinner, a few beers and just chat.
Always good value and new faces to get to know, as well as some regulars who are great to pick ideas from.

Who agrees with the above??

S

Who agrees with the above??

S

Much as I'm flattered by your previous post, I tend to think that Alex and Fokas have the right idea.

Young investor groups are all well and good for networking and building a social clique for talking about the property stuff that your mates aren't interested in, but putting an age limit on the attendance will also restrict the knowledge and experience that can be shared. And if half the idea is to learn, and share experiences... why would you want to restrict anything?

Besides, some of those older investors are still good fun to hang out with, too :cool:.

I think it's probably important to get a feel for who would like to attend, and where they currently reside. Lets aim to find a neutral location somewhere in Sydney.

Lets have a look at the expressions of interest over the next week or so, and then come up with a few suggestions for locations. I'm going to post another thread now, so keep an eye out for that. We can work out all the finer logistics like dates, times etc later.

Cheers,
Steve

Back