Young single Mum as tenant?

Well she has moved in so we shall see how it goes. My second place has become vacant and this first application was from a 21 year old with a 10 month old...

Ok I'm curious about this.

Why is this even an issue? Does anybody have any data that reveals a desirability of some tenants over others demographically speaking? Having read reports both for and against this particular demographic (single mums) I think it might just be a case of confirmation bias at work.

As a landlord I'm thinking the more important drivers for good tenant selection would be 1) A good PM and 2) Good references and history checking. For example I would be thinking based on my experience only that a more important concern would be the fact that this person has no rental history and therefore a reference check would be important, the fact that they are grey, white, black, tatooed or whatever would be of no importance.

I'm just thinking that sometimes bad tenant experiences are prescribed to the wrong issue. Eg, young single mum = terrible tenant = stay away from all such people in future. Where if you dig a bit deeper the problem was no checking was done of the persons history and so on.

I have no experience in many years of being a landlord that causes me to favour any demographic over another. It's possible I have been lucky though.

Back